You are here

Most efficient way to move over to new PC? Any tips?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Most efficient way to move over to new PC? Any tips?

Postby Fishnish » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi all, after nearly ten years I've finally reached the point where it's time to upgrade the Studio PC. I've researched + chosen my new system and am about to order it.

It's been quite a while since I've moved PC and it's never been on such a scale before so I've been hunting for decent info on how to prepare for moving all my stuff over to the new machine in the most efficient way possible. I seem to remember there was perhaps an article in the magazine covering this a while back, but not sure? Couldn't find anything with a site search.

I'm not really sure where best to start. Back in the day everything was on discs! I still have those where it's relevant but so much seems to be handled by online product manager apps now. Do I just go to the relevant vendor's sites and start downloading everything again from scratch? That would be pretty intense as I'm based in a remote corner of the country where the internet is powered by lazy mice on treadmills with rusty bearings and during periods of poor weather (that's about 11 months of the year) a day without a power cut is a blessing.

Both machines will have roughly the same storage setup - 4 drives: OS, Audio+ Projects, Lbraries, and Archive, Although obv the new machine will have newer+ posher drives

I use Cubase (currently Pro 10 but will probably go up to 10.5 on the new machine) and am happy enough with backing up/archiving projects so organising my project files shouldn't be so much of an issue, but I'm pretty much in the dark as to how best to move over all the other stuff. Several Libraries -SD3, some Kontakt instruments and other sample based instruments, a bunch of Waves and other plugins.. Also all my user presets, both for Cubase and 3rd party stuff. I also have Izotope RX and Wavelab to move over. And a bunch of Line 6 stuff to run a Helix and Helix Native. And all the licences!

Any tips or suggestions for where to find info on how to do all this efficiently will be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Fishnish
Regular

Re: Most efficient way to move over to new PC? Any tips?

Postby CS70 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:33 pm

Before moving, make sure you know where all installers are (or from where they can be downloaded) - including the latest drivers for your interface. Make a Dropbox folder with all the license codes. iLok and dongles are easy, but again best to have the link to the necessary installers ready.

If you have samples on external disks, make sure you know where the synths are configured to point to these, so you may need not to reinstalled. If you have ongoing projects (you shouldn't :) ) move them to a dropbox folder or an external drive.

DAW's customization (templates etc) also tend to be in certain place so Dropbox them as well, noting where they are.

Make yourself lots of coffee, or tea. Set up the barebone pc first - doing all the audio optimizations if they aren't yet done. Then start from the basic package - the DAW - then add plugins, and be patient. :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Fishnish » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:58 pm

CS70 wrote:Before moving, make sure you know where all installers are (or from where they can be downloaded) - including the latest drivers for your interface. Make a Dropbox folder with all the license codes. iLok and dongles are easy, but again best to have the link to the necessary installers ready.

If you have samples on external disks, make sure you know where the synths are configured to point to these, so you may need not to reinstalled. If you have ongoing projects (you shouldn't :) ) move them to a dropbox folder or an external drive.

DAW's customization (templates etc) also tend to be in certain place so Dropbox them as well, noting where they are.

Make yourself lots of coffee, or tea. Set up the barebone pc first - doing all the audio optimizations if they aren't yet done. Then start from the basic package - the DAW - then add plugins, and be patient. :D

Thanks, all seem like good tips.
I've added another sack of coffee beans to the shopping list . Making a folder with bookmarks of all the required installers sounds very useful.

And perhaps another folder with all the support contact details :lol:
Fishnish
Regular

Postby RichardT » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:12 pm

I’ve moved Kontakt between machines before and I did not have to download the libraries again. I just copied from the old to the new computer. This was before the days of Native Access but I’m sure the same will still be true. I did download and install the Kontakt software itself. I’m sure the same will be true of SD.

For me the most important thing was having a good idea of what the sequence of events needed to be, what software tools I was going to use and keeping a detailed record of what I did.

Also, back up your source machine before you start just in case you accidentally do
something that damages the data on it.
RichardT
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:24 pm

It perhaps won't help this time, but...

I keep a diary each time I set up a new computer - and I try(*) to keep the diary up to date as I progress over the months/years. That way I have a good idea of what needs to be done each time I upgrade to a new machine. It does help enormously.

And I avoid all forms of customisation as much as possible.

* Good intentions...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Fishnish » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:44 pm

RichardT wrote:I’ve moved Kontakt between machines before and I did not have to download the libraries again. I just copied from the old to the new computer. This was before the days of Native Access but I’m sure the same will still be true. I did download and install the Kontakt software itself. I’m sure the same will be true of SD.

For me the most important thing was having a good idea of what the sequence of events needed to be, what software tools I was going to use and keeping a detailed record of what I did.

Also, back up your source machine before you start just in case you accidentally do
something that damages the data on it.

Thanks. Yes, I'm hoping I can just copy the libraries straight over. It took about a week to download everything for SD3! Hopefully Native Access and the other various download managers will take some of the pain out of the process, although of course I will have to install them first.

I think I might do a spreadsheet with all the info and links I need for each item in the virtual studio. Not only will I then have all the info to hand but it should also hopefully give me someting concrete to work through.

The good news is that the expected delivery date for the new machine is not for another month or so, so there should be plenty of time to back up and prepare things.

The bad news is I'm also in the middle of redoing all the physical cabling, with new patchbays etc. And trying to build a barn (when it's not raining)
Fishnish
Regular

Postby Fishnish » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:51 pm

The Elf wrote:It perhaps won't help this time, but...

I keep a diary each time I set up a new computer - and I try(*) to keep the diary up to date as I progress over the months/years. That way I have a good idea of what needs to be done each time I upgrade to a new machine. It does help enormously.

And I avoid all forms of customisation as much as possible.

* Good intentions...

If I had kept a diary of previous setups it would read something like...

"October 17th: If it doesn't work this time I'm going to throw the :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: thing in the loch

October 18th: Placed ad on Gumtree - Wanted - scuba gear and underwater searchlight"

In lieu of a diary I'm certainly planning to do a stocktake of the current state of affairs on the old machine.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby dustin.newman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:58 pm

Hi!, keeping backups is great, but another great alternative is using the cloud storage. For example dropbox or google drive.

Apart of making it easy to you to make use of those files if you change the PC, it is also possible to get it easily from any other device. And share it is super straight forward.

Not talking about the risk of losing files, it is well known these days on the industries that you have more chances to lose a file in your hard disk than in any of these services.

And if your concern is the privacy... well, that is a fair point, but I think with a proper password and 2FA is more than enough to go protected
dustin.newman
Poster
The only common language is Music.

Always looking for the best Head Phones

Postby Fishnish » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:20 pm

dustin.newman wrote:Hi!, keeping backups is great, but another great alternative is using the cloud storage. For example dropbox or google drive.

Apart of making it easy to you to make use of those files if you change the PC, it is also possible to get it easily from any other device. And share it is super straight forward.

Not talking about the risk of losing files, it is well known these days on the industries that you have more chances to lose a file in your hard disk than in any of these services.

And if your concern is the privacy... well, that is a fair point, but I think with a proper password and 2FA is more than enough to go protected

Thanks, It hadn't actually occured to me to use cloud storage, dropbox etc until it was suggested here. Makes perfect sense though
Fishnish
Regular

Postby dustin.newman » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Fishnish wrote:
dustin.newman wrote:Hi!, keeping backups is great, but another great alternative is using the cloud storage. For example dropbox or google drive.

Thanks, It hadn't actually occured to me to use cloud storage, dropbox etc until it was suggested here. Makes perfect sense though

Happy to see that the suggestion can help you :), I hope the move goes very well
dustin.newman
Poster

Postby Argiletonne » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:08 am

clone software.

By comparison I preferred the EaseUS brand over Acronis.
Argiletonne
Regular

Clayton Brown

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:15 pm

I would contact the vendors for all of your software and tell them what you are doing and ask them for help. Talk to a real human.

You can prove you are the owner now of the licenses and you want the licenses to work on the new machine. Ask them how to do it and how to re-install.

It is easy to prove you are the owner of the license when the software is running.

What I do is I make a list for each software that needs license. Save the instructions and info in a separate file. Every software is different. Then when you have the new clean machine, you can give the list of instructions to someone (IT savvy) and they can do the installations.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Fishnish wrote:

Just keep in mind that there is a slight penalty in using Dropbox (and any similar system) as a place where to record or read samples from, so long Dropbox is active.

The reason is that when you write (and even, periodically, when you read) Dropbox and similar need to do a call home to tell the cloud server (and initiate the transfer if the I/O is idle for long enough). They're smart and not so intrusive and will be totally transparent for anything requiring continuous quasi-real time performance.. which audio processing unfortunately does.

The trick is simple, before recording or playing, exit the cloud program. There will be a trifle more data in the file metadata but with any modern drive the impact is negligible.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Fishnish » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:51 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:..........
It is easy to prove you are the owner of the license when the software is running.

What I do is I make a list for each software that needs license. Save the instructions and info in a separate file. Every software is different. Then when you have the new clean machine, you can give the list of instructions to someone (IT savvy) and they can do the installations.

Thanks yes, it makes sense to check with each vendor as to how best to move their licences and have that info to hand before I start.
As my mum used to say - Make a list. Work through it :lol:

Luckily I have a spare (identical) interface and screen so hopefully it sould be straightforward to keep the old machine operational whilst doing the changover, with nothing much more than swapping dongle and iLock from one machine to the other.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby dustin.newman » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:09 pm

CS70 wrote:
Fishnish wrote:

Just keep in mind that there is a slight penalty in using Dropbox (and any similar system) as a place where to record or read samples from, so long Dropbox is active.

The reason is that when you write (and even, periodically, when you read) Dropbox and similar need to do a call home to tell the cloud server (and initiate the transfer if the I/O is idle for long enough). They're smart and not so intrusive and will be totally transparent for anything requiring continuous quasi-real time performance.. which audio processing unfortunately does.

The trick is simple, before recording or playing, exit the cloud program. There will be a trifle more data in the file metadata but with any modern drive the impact is negligible.

Agreed with the penalty on reading/writing realtime from those services. However, having a decent Internet connection should be more than enough right? We are watching videos in Youtube or Netflix in HD or even 4K, in almost realtime, not talking about the quality of the streamin which includes Sounds and video.

But the point you are making is really good to know :)
dustin.newman
Poster