You are here

SSD upgrade question

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

SSD upgrade question

Postby adrian_k » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi
For various reasons I am downsizing my desktop setup to run off a Windows 10 laptop. At the same time, having shaken myself free of MS Office some time back I may be forced to use it again. I don't want to put MS Office on my DAW so thought about setting the laptop to dual boot W10. I've had a read around and think I should be able to do that without buying another license. (Does that sound right?)

However I'd also like to improve performance by upgrading the 500MB HDD to SSD. At the same time, given the price of these things I'm considering changing to a 1TB drive, since I now need space for another W10 partition.

I contacted Crucial to see if that was possible but the best answer I got was "Run the Crucial scan utility, if 1TB comes up as an allowed upgrade then yes, otherwise no". I did that and 1TB does not come up as an allowed upgrade.

Does that sound right? The only issue I could foresee was if the cloning software would only clone to another drive the same size. What do you guys think is this upgrade feasible?

thanks
Adrian
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Re: SSD upgrade question

Postby adrian_k » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Just to add, from what I can see it should be possible to clone to a larger drive, so is there any physical (system limitation?) reason why the upgrade might not work?
adrian_k
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:56 pm

My experience of upgrading a 250GB HDD to a 480GB SSD was painless but I went for a Samsung 860 EVO as they have a good reputation around here (and I wanted one in mSATA form factor). I just downloaded and ran the Samsung software which did the whole transfer for me. I have Office 2019 installed on the same machine (as well as Open Office) and it doesn't seem to have caused any problems with audio.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:39 pm

As James said the Samsung is a number one choice, the EVO is better than the QVO and has a 5yr rather than 3yr warranty.

You can clone a smaller drive to a larger one without problem and the Samsung 'Magician' software is good.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby adrian_k » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Thanks guys. After checking the reviews I was originally going for the EVO but I can only seem to find it on Amazon and I try not to give them money if I can avoid it. It's also available from Samsung direct but expensive. Scan don't seem to do the size and form factor I want.

The Crucial MX500 gets only slightly lower scores than the Samsung but is cheaper and also has a 5 year warranty, so unless I can find the Samsung in the next couple of days I'll probably go with that.

I guess I can just install MS Office and if it annoys me in any way uninstall and create a dual boot system then.

cheers
A
adrian_k
Frequent Poster