You are here

Soundcard for mixing

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Soundcard for mixing

Postby mammy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:57 am

Hi.I use Pro tools 12 HD .I need a sound card .When I mix in pro tools sounds great But When I bounce the music Sound quality drops.which soundcard is great ? Should I buy a usb soundcard or Pcı slot soundcard ? My friend suggested me Audient Evo 4 .What do You think ?

PC
Windows 10
mammy
Regular

Re: Soundcard for mixing

Postby James Perrett » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:03 am

I don't think your soundcard (or audio interface as they're more commonly known nowadays) is going to make any difference to the quality of your mixes if the mix sounds good before bounce down. The soundcard plays no part in bouncing down so, if you notice a difference, there is a problem with the bounce process. What settings are you using and what format are you bouncing to? Are you listening to your bounces using Protools or are you using some other software to listen to the bounces?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mammy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:17 pm

My bounce settings:16 bit -320 Kbps MP3
I did not listen my mix in the other softwares.
Actually I dont have a sound card.I use on board Amd sound device.
I dont use input monitoring to listen my final mix .I usually use playback my mix in Pro tools.Should I use input monitoring instead of direct bouncing ?
mammy
Regular

Postby CS70 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:40 pm

The most common reason for difference in sound within the DAW and outside is that "outside" the OS or the software player is configured to apply effects (in Windows, check "sound settings").

You would in general benefit from an audio interface which has likely better conversion, may can give you lower latency and often be more stable, but a lot depends on what kind of stuff you do..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:56 pm

mammy wrote:My bounce settings:16 bit -320 Kbps MP3

Avoid lossy formats like mp3 or AAC for anything serious as you are throwing away important data. It is best to mix down to a lossless format like AIFF or Wav. By all means convert later to a lossy format for casual listening but don't do anything else with it.
James Perrett

Postby mammy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Than You James Perrett!You helped me a lot.I wanna ask one thing.Should I buy an audio interface or continue using onboard sound card.(amd Based onboard sound chip -24 bit -192 khz sample rate )
mammy
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:58 am

Yes, I'd say that an audio interface will give slightly better sound quality which may make it easier to make mix decisions. In my personal experience on-board sound can range from reasonable to poor although most have been usable for casual listening.

There are plenty of possible audio interfaces that will give you better sound. I use a Zoom U-44 here (which has a digital input and output so I can use it with better quality convertors if needed) although, if I needed decent microphone inputs I'd probably suggest one of the Audient interfaces. Plenty of people here like the Native Instruments KA6 too. If you want to invest in something that is going to last you for a long time then I'd suggest looking at RME but they're not cheap. On a tight budget the Behringer interfaces are supposed to be OK although I'd avoid the cheap end of the range and go for one that has its own drivers like the UMC202.
James Perrett

Postby mammy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:59 am

Thank You James Perrett!
mammy
Regular