You are here

soundfont problem showing up

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

soundfont problem showing up

Postby scaryisnormal » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:57 am

https://imgur.com/a/RFg5Uuf

I have the soundfonts in D:\fl studio\Data\Patches\Soundfonts and that worked before but tried adding more recently and they refuse to show the newer ones. I tried even dumping
the soundfonts that were in folders straight to the soundfont folder instead of soundfonts\folder name and it still wouldn't show them.

Thank you in advance
scaryisnormal
New here

Re: soundfont problem showing up

Postby merlyn » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:49 pm

I don't use Fruity Loops myself but a general principle is that if you add new stuff, you may have to get the application to scan for new stuff.

For example if you add a new plugin while your application is open you will have to get the application to scan for new plugins before the plugin becomes available.

Often this happens on startup, but there may be a setting to enable like 'scan for new soundfonts on startup' in 'preferences' or the equivalent on FL.
merlyn
Regular

Postby scaryisnormal » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:09 pm

https://imgur.com/a/8eOqOwU

it seems like fl studio wont open soundfonts but only SF2 files and draging them into a sounfont vst it says "no sound asset loaded"

so the issue I guess is that sfz will not load into sforzando please help me :'(
scaryisnormal
New here

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Those soundfont files look too small to contain any data. Could they just be pointers to data stored elsewhere which is now missing?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby merlyn » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:34 pm

What are the file extensions on those files? I would guess the ones that load are .sf2 and the ones that don't are .sfz. A .sfz file is a plain text file that tells an sfz player how to use the raw samples. You appear to be missing the samples.

Have you got a link to the soundfont you're trying to load and I'll have a look at it?
merlyn
Regular

Postby scaryisnormal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:56 am

http://www.flamestudios.org/free/Soundfonts this is where they got them she said specifically the ibanez and seagull steel string acoustic guitars.

thank you for the help I'm new with daws but find them very interesting also would love to help my friend out with her music If this can be figured out.
scaryisnormal
New here

Postby merlyn » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:33 am

I had a look at the Ibanez soundfont. It's an sf2, so that should load. The download is 86MB and unpacked the sf2 is 144MB, so you've done something not right.

It's in .tar.bz2 format, which is a Linux oriented archive format, but you can extract it on Windows I think using 7zip twice. Once to unbz it, and once to untar it. Once you do that it should be no problem.
merlyn
Regular

Postby scaryisnormal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:50 pm

I think it's because we are using zforzando which converts them to sfz and she is using the sfz for instruments and the samples arn't in our shared dropbox and are probably on her computer though I don't know why if I replace the sfz in sforzando it won't play the track but if I make a new track with my own copy of the instrument I converted and copy over the track pattern it works then. Sorry for my run on sentences
scaryisnormal
New here

Postby merlyn » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:58 pm

scaryisnormal wrote:I think it's because we are using zforzando which converts them to sfz and she is using the sfz for instruments and the samples arn't in our shared dropbox ...

Yes, that's why it wasn't working. If you want all the files for this project kept together put the .tar.bz2 file on Dropbox.

It sounds like it's working now. :thumbup:
merlyn
Regular

Postby scaryisnormal » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:37 pm

thank you merlyn for your time and patience, guess this topic can be closed now
scaryisnormal
New here