You are here

Behringer UMC1820 install issues.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Behringer UMC1820 install issues.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:21 pm

I just tried to install my UMC1820 on my Windows 10 PC, all I get is a loud noise coming from my hard drive, its like a dial up modem sound, very weird. And every time I load up Reaper it gets really loud, and changes character when I try and adjust audio properties, I've tried re-installing, and it makes no difference, I also tried connecting my UMC204HD, all is fine, no noise frorm the hard drive at all, I dont know what this can be, maybe driver incompatibillity? or could it be a failing hard drive? but it's fine woith other devices, and programs, including Reaper.

:?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Behringer UMC1820 install issues.

Postby N i g e l » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:47 pm

"Hard drive" noises doesnt sound good. Have you backed up recently ?

Modem type noises reminds me of a ground loop I once had ?

My 1820 installation was straight forward and unmemorable. If you need to know any specific nitty gritty settings, feel free tro ask.

1 thing - last month, everything worked fine at the weekend, then on Monday night it got a case of the crackles. This lasted all week untill I got around to investigating, at which point the crackles disappeared. DOH !

I dont know if it was somthing I did [probably not] or whether it was Windows10 installing updates when I wasnt looking [probably].

So ..
[1] make sure your Windows 10 is all uptodate.

------------------

I dont know which was worse, finding a problem on an otherwise stable XP which takes 6 months to fix or a stable W10 going bad but getting fixed relatively quickly.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:55 am

OK, this is a confusing problem .
It’s not a driver issue, it’s actually working fine, I disconnected and reconnected audio cables to the unit one by one, the noise is actually radiation from either the computer, or the computer monitor being picked up by the monitoring system, it was difficult to track down simply because everything is so squashed into a small space, I thought the noise was coming from the computer, but it’s not, it’s coming from my monitors.
Also, I now have a patch bay, and I’m confused as to what cables I should use with unbalanced sources, as the sound is much cleaner and less noisy when I plug an unbalanced synth directly into the UMC1820.
I’m using unbalanced cables into the patch bay from my unbalanced synths, and balanced cables from the patch bay to the interface, is this correct? or should I use unbalanced cables throughout?
As you can see, this isn’t a straightforward problem, it could be many things., I’m going to strip down the studio today and start again, f*****g patch bays! I knew they were a bad idea. I’m going back to my mixer, it’s at times like this bays make finding problems a lot harder.
Regarding the UMC1820, after using it on my Mac for awhile, I’m not happy with it, the preamps aren’t very good, I find them a bit noisy, compared to my Motu, also there’s not very much headroom.
As for settings, I’m confused about one thing, I’m using Asio Time Dependant in Reaper, is this correct? Or should this be set to "normal"?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:59 am

Arpangel wrote:I thought the noise was coming from the computer, but it’s not, it’s coming from my monitors. Also, I now have a patch bay, and I’m confused as to what cables I should use....

G R O U N D L O O P S
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:03 am

If you're not using phantom power, then the UMC1820 can be USB bus powered - does the noise disappear if you unplug the UMC's PSU?
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:33 pm

Rich Hanson wrote:If you're not using phantom power, then the UMC1820 can be USB bus powered - does the noise disappear if you unplug the UMC's PSU?

Thanks Rich, I’ll try it now.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:16 pm

Arpangel wrote:.......
Regarding the UMC1820, after using it on my Mac for awhile, I’m not happy with it, the preamps aren’t very good, I find them a bit noisy, compared to my Motu, also there’s not very much headroom....

What have you got plugged into it ?

With my NT1 plugged in and the gain turned right up, I cant hear any hiss 'cos its drowned out by the room noise.
There is actually more hiss when nothings plugged in.

I could compare it to my MOTU Microbook 2 if you think thats relevant ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:19 pm

N i g e l wrote:There is actually more hiss when nothings plugged in.

That's quite normal for an unterminated preamp.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:29 am

I didn’t get around to completing the set-up last night, I’ll try it on USB only today.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster