You are here

Recording stream audio

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Recording stream audio

Postby Piano Jon » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:58 pm

There are many Youtube tutorials on how to record internal computer audio (such as YouTube audio streaming) but none of them seems to work for me. I think its something really basic such as how to set or reset windows 10 audio system. Could somebody give me a step-by-step guide using Audacity (or NCH Mixpad), YouTube audio and Windows 10 Thanks all.
Piano Jon
New here

Re: Recording stream audio

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:03 am

Hi Jon, this can be difficult to do depending upon how the laptop is configured.

Look in the Windows Sounds menus for "Stereo Mix". If W10 has still let you have it you are golden because you just set that as the input in Audacity (I no longer use NCH software, seems to want to 'get' everything everywhere!) .

However, this W10 Lenovo does not have Stereo Mix and that caused me no end of problems. There are other apps that claim to mimic S Mix but they only work it seems IF the internal sound card has an audio input. This Lenovo T510 does not and no amount of downloading the card's drivers gave me one!

I have managed to get Audacity to record R3 and YT sounds but the results are dependent upon various volume settings and so not very convenient, also means I cannot know what other people's levels are.

I am pretty sure you will need to set Audacity to WASAPI drivers and then it is just a case of 'hacking' the sound preferences (Edit>Preferences and set for 16 bits 44.1kHz, no point grabbing bigger files). So, have a play and see what you can find, if you cannot get it working PM me then we can exchange emails and attachments of screen shots.

Forgot to say! First job, turn off internal microphone! Leaving that on will lead you up the garden path very badly!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:31 am

I use just that set up, Audacity + W10 stereo mix.
Thats on an HP laptop with Realtek sound chip.
I have to record with the speakers on - if I plug in headphones, only a low level, high pitch whine is recorded.

From Vista onwards the whole StereoMIx thing has been getting more difficult. It seems to be default disabled in Sound Control Panel so that it doesnt show up as an option in sound settings or volume mixer.

I vaguely remember hearing that the Lenovo issue is a Lenovo specific, factory knobbling and as such un fixable.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 am

N i g e l wrote:I use just that set up, Audacity + W10 stereo mix.
Thats on an HP laptop with Realtek sound chip.
I have to record with the speakers on - if I plug in headphones, only a low level, high pitch whine is recorded.

From Vista onwards the whole StereoMIx thing has been getting more difficult. It seems to be default disabled in Sound Control Panel so that it doesnt show up as an option in sound settings or volume mixer.

I vaguely remember hearing that the Lenovo issue is a Lenovo specific, factory knobbling and as such un fixable.

Yes Nigel, as I say I found 'a' solution for this T510 but it is not ideal. Not really a bother since I still have my HP W7 laptop and a desktop that can record streams.

However I bought a tiny adapter "TEKNET USB Audio Adapter" from Zon in order to use a very cheap headset equipped with two 3.5mm stereo plugs. The adapter works brilliantly and gives very clear, low noise speech from the headset mic.
I can see no reason why a 3.5 mm TRS plug to plug link should not give recordings? The levels will need adjusting but once set should stay so. I am not sure if the now spare headphone output will still work but worth a try?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:02 pm

Nope, can't use the TEKNET and the headphone jack at the same time, at least not on this Lenovo T510 (there might be a setting that does it but I have hacked for 5 minutes and nothing doing)

Not a huge problem you would just need a jack cable with two plugs and a 3.5mm socket, all wired in parallel.

I shall trawl 'Zon for thee! By jove I think I've got it!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V9KYW7Q/ ... NrPXRydWU=

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Reaper has a setting specifically for this (WASAPI shared loopback) which has worked whenever I've tried it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:24 pm

James Perrett wrote:Reaper has a setting specifically for this (WASAPI shared loopback) which has worked whenever I've tried it.

I shall give it a try James but where does it "loopback" to? I have no card input.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:29 pm

ef37a wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Reaper has a setting specifically for this (WASAPI shared loopback) which has worked whenever I've tried it.

I shall give it a try James but where does it "loopback" to? I have no card input.

It takes the streaming data that is heading for your audio interface and copies it to Reaper's input. You need to make sure that Reaper's output is going somewhere different to the streaming audio (or is muted) otherwise you'll end up with loud feedback.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page