You are here

What are your three reasons to love Reaper?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

What are your three reasons to love Reaper?

Postby Darren Lynch » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:59 am

So my tentative return to Windows on a lockdown-enforced Win10 laptop continues. I just want to get the most out of it.

I've been looking at DAWs. Have downloaded Reaper. Looks pro, feels very solid. The Reaplugs are a triumph of purpose and economy, the JS plugins are a riot of possibilities.

Would any confirmed Reapeurs out there care to state:

The simple function in Reaper I like the most is...

The medium-complex function I like the most is...

The advanced function I like the most is...

If anyone feels they could sum up Reaper from a conceptual POV, that would also be welcome
Darren Lynch
Frequent Poster

Re: What are your three reasons to love Reaper?

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:45 pm

There's just too much to mention...

Reaper is a whole journey of discovery. I've been using it to make DDP masters for a few years but I've only just discovered that it can open them too and show the information inside them.

ReaFIR in compression mode is a miracle worker.

I love being able to customise the JS effects to make them do exactly what I want.

The efficiency and reliability means that it can run on antiquated hardware.

It is very worthwhile creating templates - especially for MIDI where I find it takes a little effort to set things up.

There are probably loads of other things too.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:38 pm

There is almost nothing you can't do in Reaper - except deal with problem video codecs, but that's about it.

Favorite 'secret' Reaper function - being able to squeeze and stretch audio in order to do perfect ADR on film projects without having to pish-about making the talent say the words again and again and again until they fit. Once will do! Same applies to FX and Foleys.

And as James says - ReaFIR is killer!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Ease of customisation including templates and a logical macro system.

My workflow has evolved over time and my own thinking has straightened out in parallel because the logic behind Reaper is so robust.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:51 pm

The simple function in Reaper I like the most is...
- Compatibility: you can throw practically anything file format at it and it just gets on with it. Got a 32 bit plug in you really like? No worries, it just runs. Start a project on a mac, pick it up on a pc, move it to a laptop, back to mac again, no worries.

- Virtually everything is configurable and automatable. Add a midi controller, change the look and the layout, create your own macros, anything to make it really fit your workflow. And then once you're playing around with stuff just about every option on every plug-in can be automated (I assume most DAWs do this now, but I don't remember it being this easy in the past).

- I don't really get into the advanced functions - I know all the JS stuff can be tailored but that's outside my skills and requirements. Likewise for using it as full, DDP-producing tool - but I know it can all be done should I ever need to! :)

I think the best conceptual description of Reaper was from someone on here (can't remember who I'm afraid) who said something like, "Learning Reaper is a journey from ARRGH! to Aaah!"
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Alba » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:53 pm

Darren Lynch wrote:The simple function in Reaper I like the most is...

The action editor: I can control any function with just about any thing. I know this exists in other daws but Reaper does it really simply and i can have bits and bobs of pedals and buttons where i need them to do the things i need to do.

File management: I never seem to get in a mess or lose files as i have with other daws. For me they have it just right,

I saw a post from James(?) about ReaFir the other day for its noise removal and that is amazing. Its helped me clean up a track transferred from tape years ago and its 'subtract' thingy is incredible!

Not really using advanced functions like video or beat matching and all that clever stuff but i have written the odd plugin for instance to do a LR speaker swap and a mono plugin. Handy to be able to do that. The plugins that come with Reaper are really all we need here too. I have Waves bundle and lots of stuff i've downloaded but its really enough to use Reaper plugins though i do sometimes use others here and there.

I suppose the best advanced function is the approach taken to create the thing; the fact that Reaper is written by developers but designed by its users. I would say the best advanced function is the Cockos forum and the attention the developers pay to their users' needs and ideas.

If anyone feels they could sum up Reaper from a conceptual POV, that would also be welcome

Its about the closest thing i've found that works like a traditional tape/desk setup and the routing works like a patch bay. So for an old timer like me its been very simple to do the things i need to do without going mad.

I never feel like i'm programming with Reaper, i feel like i'm recording. It keeps out of the way and doesn't crash or constantly give errors. Never seem to have problems.

I still run version 2.58 on an old pc with 4gb ram and XP and Reaper is so well designed that i can easily get 24+ tacks of 24/48 with plugins here and there and a drum sampler... Its all we need here.

I never look at anything else for anything i need to do. Just keep the last version of Logic for PC (before i was unceremoniously dumped by Apple) on an old laptop in case i need to get at any old tunes.
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Darren Lynch » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:54 pm

Aw, shucks, you guys are the best. Thank you.
Darren Lynch
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 pm

Alba wrote:I saw a post from James(?) about ReaFir the other day for its noise removal and that is amazing. Its helped me clean up a track transferred from tape years ago and its 'subtract' thingy is incredible!

Not sure it would have been me as I'm not a fan of ReaFIR for noise reduction (although it works as well as most other budget alternatives).

I still run version 2.58 on an old pc with 4gb ram and XP and Reaper is so well designed that i can easily get 24+ tacks of 24/48 with plugins here and there and a drum sampler... Its all we need here.

It would be worth giving a more recent version a try. I'm still running version 5.something on an even lower spec machine (only 768MB RAM) and it will handle 24 track recording fine. The latest version would probably work too but I haven't got round to updating it.
James Perrett

Postby blinddrew » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Might have been me mentioning ReaFIR as a noise reducer, I did use it for that before I got RX Elements.
It is a tool I'd like to know more about though.
If only there was some kind of magazine that covered music technology, that might have a small segment dedicated to specific DAWs and tools therein.
Maybe someone who was a member of a related-forum could write something?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:36 am

Reape just enabled me to do stuff almost instantly without reading a manual, I was struggling with Samplitude before, and everything I wanted to do but couldn’t was now possible with Reaper.
I can’t say anymore, except it’s the DAW by which every other one is judged, it is "Thee DAW"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:56 am

My favourite thing is that there is only one type of track. A track can carry both midi and audio.

The tracks can be mono, stereo, quad or even octophonic and more if you like.

Tracks can be easily routed to outboard with out needing to set up dedicated external fx busses.

So this means for a guitar for example, I could record a DI, send it to an outbourd guitar fx unit, control that unit with midi and record the output track, all in one track.

I think that all winds up into one thing....flexible routing. But the main thing is one track type does everything.

There is low bloat and and the desktop-to-up-and-running time is very short because it is a small program.

The price is quite attractive too!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:10 pm

Moroccomoose wrote:A track can carry both midi and audio.

And video too (though I've not tried video and MIDI together)!
James Perrett

Postby The Bunk » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:24 am

Well, damn!! Sorry, not really answering the question as such but the above posts have led me to investigating ReaFir. Wow! I'm not really sure why / how but even some random tweaking in EQ mode has pretty much transformed a track I'm working on!
Has there been an SOS tutorial / workshop on this aspect of it?? Gonna have a search now but if there hasn't....please consider this a request!
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:44 am

Check out this mans videos, a great resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31phzT7pxkk
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby IvanSC » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:01 pm

Kenny is my hero! Learned so much from his videos.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!