You are here

Audio Interface for WIN 7 Pro 64 BIT

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Audio Interface for WIN 7 Pro 64 BIT

Postby JSkalon » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:12 am

Hi guys,

My PC died (a moment of silence). I now have a PC with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with USB 2,0 ports, i5 core processor, 16 GB mem, 2 1 TB SATA drives.

My old DIGI 001 PCI card doesn't fit in the case and I need a new interface.
Something with 8 XLR Pre amps, connects via USB 2.0, optical in/out so i can connect my Behringer ADA 8200. I also have a Nady PRA8 but unless the new unit also has extra (seperate from the main inputs) 1/4 inputs, it's now useless to me. I'll lose a few tracks but didn't use them all anyway. i mainly track drums.

Anyway, I am new to the 64 bit world. Any suggestions on what to look at?

Focusrite 18i20
Tascam US-20x20 USB
Behringer U-phoria Umc1820

They may be older reviews, but I have seen people having issues with 64 bit. I really need to stay under $500 if I can. MOTU is really up there $$$ wise from what I see.

Thanks guys.
Jack
JSkalon
New here
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Re: Audio Interface for WIN 7 Pro 64 BIT

Postby blinddrew » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:57 am

I think any 64bit issues are historic now.
My tuppence worth is that i've consistently had good support from focusrite, even years after purchase, and mix control is a useful software tool once you get head round it.
I've also got a Tascam US16x08, i find the software routing side of things a little more limited there, and i think i may prefer the preamps in the focusrite, but I suspect i'm kidding myself... ;)
The behringer is obviously the bargain of the bunch but doesn't, as far as i'm aware, have any software control over routing (according to another user here).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:15 pm

Personally I'd go for an RME Digiface USB with a second ADA8200. That gives you a foothold into the RME eco-system with its reputation for driver quality, long term support and the versatility of Totalmix.

At a future date you can add better quality preamps and A/D convertors from a variety of different manufacturers.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby JSkalon » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I love this site!

James, I am very interested in your suggestion. A lot of possibilities there.

Off to make a decision.

Thanaks again,
Jack
JSkalon
New here
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!