You are here

No sound coming out of Headphone jack

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

No sound coming out of Headphone jack

Postby Don McGillivray » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:08 am

I have a Dell G3 gaming computer running MPC 2.0 software and Tracktion with an Akai Advance 49 controller. My sound is outputed from the headphone jack to external speakers which work fine through the DAW's but not on ASIO 4 All on the DAW's or on my stand alone VST's such as Sampletank 4 and Toontrack. When those VST's are running alone sound only comes out of my laptop's speakers and not the headphone jack. The speaker icon does state it is on Headphones when the cable is plugged in. My older Dell laptop automatically routed everything when a cable was inserted to the headphone jack out the headphone port. Iv'e tried going through windows Realtek speakers with headphones chosen in the dropdown menu but the latency is not right. Any suggestions. Thanks in Advance (no pun intended).
Don McGillivray

Re: No sound coming out of Headphone jack

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:23 am

Don McGillivray wrote:My sound is outputed from the headphone jack to external speakers which work fine through the DAW's but not on ASIO 4 All...

When you're using an ASIO driver you need to go into the audio programme's preferences and set up the channel mapping so that the sound is sent to the correct outputs. This works independently of Window's own sound allocation options.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: No sound coming out of Headphone jack

Postby Don McGillivray » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:04 pm

Hugh,

Thanks for the suggestion but I have resolved the problem by simply opening up my windows audio devices then double clicking on "Speakers" then disabling them thus forcing all sound to follow the headphone path (just what I wanted). I have been using ASIO for some time now and have always gone into preferences to set the path on the panel but for some reason this did not work this time like it did on my other laptops. After I disabled the speakers I chose "Windows" in the preferences and everything works great with all stand alone VST's and DAW's with absolutely no latency.
Don McGillivray