You are here

Reaper: Drop-out issue.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Reaper: Drop-out issue.

Postby mjmorris » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi all,

I have Reaper 64-bit, an Emu 0404 USB interface and a W10 i7 laptop with 8GB RAM. Every now and then the sound drops out. Whatever instrument I'm playing I can see the meters moving but no output. I can fix the problem by going to Options¦Preferences¦Audio Device (where the ASIO Emu Driver info is) and just clicking the OK button for the page. Output is restored and all is well for a short while, then the same thing happens again.

There doesn't seem to be a trigger for the drop out, it just happens randomly. The 0404 is EOL now but I've re-installed the latest drivers and updated Reaper. Abject poverty prevents an interface upgrade at the moment.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
mjmorris
New here
Regards, Mike.

Re: Reaper: Drop-out issue.

Postby BJG145 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:29 pm

It might be worth trying Asio4All. I remember this working better than the manufacturer's own ASIO driver on one old soundcard.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby mjmorris » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 pm

BJG145 wrote:It might be worth trying Asio4All. I remember this working better than the manufacturer's own ASIO driver on one old soundcard.

Yeah, I tried that. The ASIO4ALL driver picks up the interface's inputs but not the outputs, for some reason.
mjmorris
New here
Regards, Mike.

Postby BJG145 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 pm

Fair enough; bit of a long shot anyway. I'd disable the internal soundcard unless you still use it. Have you tried increasing the buffer...? How have you got it set...?

(Discussion on GS where someone describes the same thing.)

I now get inexplicable outages, where audio stop for no reason until I go into my DAW and reselect the ASIO driver
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby mjmorris » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Checked the Windows sound settings after you mentioned disabling the internal sound card. I'd already done it but I'd forgotten about a HDMI Display Link I was using with a TV as a second monitor. Disabled that and bingo, no more drop-out! Cheers.

Now I've got to figure out how to get Reaper and other programs to share the 0404 at the same time...
mjmorris
New here
Regards, Mike.

Postby manwilde » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:49 pm

It would me a matter of just telling Windows that your 0404 is your predetermined audio device. I´m on Win7 and can´t remember right now the minutiae in Win10, but it should be quite straightforward...
manwilde
Poster

Postby manwilde » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:57 pm

Sorry, I forgot about this: also, go to Reaper Preferences and on the "Audio" section make sure the first option is checked ("Close audio device when stopped and application is unactive"). This will prevent Reaper from taking exclusive control of the audio.
manwilde
Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am

mjmorris wrote:
BJG145 wrote:It might be worth trying Asio4All. I remember this working better than the manufacturer's own ASIO driver on one old soundcard.

Yeah, I tried that. The ASIO4ALL driver picks up the interface's inputs but not the outputs, for some reason.

If you use Asio4all, you can just as well try WDM if your DAW allows it. It's the same thing with one layer less, so faster.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mjmorris » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look at that.
mjmorris
New here
Regards, Mike.

Postby mjmorris » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:18 pm

manwilde wrote:Sorry, I forgot about this: also, go to Reaper Preferences and on the "Audio" section make sure the first option is checked ("Close audio device when stopped and application is unactive"). This will prevent Reaper from taking exclusive control of the audio.

Thanks for that. Checked both your suggestions but there's no output from Reaper when any other program takes the focus. I have Reaper on a separate screen but I don't think that should make any difference.
mjmorris
New here
Regards, Mike.

Postby Moroccomoose » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Did you check that the USB slot on your PC is a blue one... the blue ones are USB 3 which are faster than the black ones which are USB 2 or older.

See here:

http://www.buildcomputers.net/usb-2-and-3.html

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby manwilde » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:23 pm

[quote= there's no output from Reaper when any other program takes the focus. I have Reaper on a separate screen but I don't think that should make any difference.[/quote]

There has to be something wrong on your setup... I might be able to help if you provide more details on both you Windows and your Reaper audio configs...
manwilde
Poster