You are here

Simple sequencers

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Simple sequencers

Postby robsteijger » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 am

I’m a (Dutch) former Music-X user who’s sold his Amiga and MIDI-gear ages ago, but I recently bought a Korg Minilogue (and I’m saving up for another analogue synth) and want to start sequencing again. Except that ‘sequencers’ no longer seem to exist and most DAW’s look a bit to complex to me. Also, I’m not sure I want to use plugins and virtual synths et cetera (yet!), because I seem to thrive within limitations (musicly speaking that is). Less complexity, or options, means less time to loose the tune or beat I have inside my head.

With Music-X I could for example modify all note velocity by 88% – select, click, 88, click, done. No menu diving or note by note adjusting, or reading manuals, posting questions on forums et cetera.

I’m looking for that same MIDI editing simplicity. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Rob (age 45)
robsteijger
New here

Re: Simple sequencers

Postby desmond » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:14 am

Modern DAWs are complicated, because they do a lot. That doesn't mean you have to use all that, and it doesn't mean the sequencing has gotten inherently more complicated or that all those other features get in the way.

If I look at just the core MIDI sequencing side of Logic (my DAW of choice), in many ways it's more or less the same as Logic 1.0 was, in 1993, when it was just a sequencer. (You can start Logic with the audio engine turned off too, and it's then *just* a MIDI sequencer. You can also turn off sections of advanced tools which simplifies the interface and reduces options further).

The advantage is, you can use something like that as just a MIDI sequencer, but as you grow, and think "Oh I'd like to add a guitar part to this", you can, in the same environment. Or use some of the instruments, which are really great, without just having to rely on my hardware - you're not forced to abandon your old songs and move to a completely different application. So you can easily extend your limitations as your needs change.

Yes, you can simply select a region and nudge the velocity up or down, without having to do note editing (but there are many ways to edit).

I expect most DAWs behave more or less similarly too.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: Simple sequencers

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:49 am

Arturia Keystep and modules of your choice, record onto a DAW and get Reaper, even I can use that and that’s saying something! If you don’t want to get into computer sequencing right now, it’s there for you have a look at in the future.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster