You are here

Sample rate problems Studio one

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Sample rate problems Studio one

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:47 pm

Hm... I had an idea, but with that length, if the idea was right I would expect the beat at the end to be off around 2.4, not 1.6 as you wrote.. so obviously my idea is not right.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby manwilde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:52 pm

Tomorrow I´m going to the studio and mess around with the original session, which sounds pitched up because of this wrong sampling header problem. I took it home on a pen drive the day after the recording to fix it and do a basic mix. Maybe using the same machine where it was recorded something will behave differently. Unfortunately I don´t have Adobe Audition available at the studio, but anyway...
Thanks a lot for trying to help!.
manwilde
Regular

Postby manwilde » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:00 pm

I´ve found an online song length calculator based on bpm and signature, but I didn´t get to any new conclusion... Also, finding tempo by sections using both Reaper and Audition gives different values depending on the section: 68.2 bpm, 67.8, 69... no wonder I can´t find a match on the grid!.
I also considered the chance of the musicians listening to the click with added latency, but buffer size was set at 128 samples, that gives something like 6 ms. roundtrip, not much, and was set the same for all the other songs were there was no problem with timing...
Thanks again!
manwilde
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:03 pm

It might be worth checking your clocking arrangements - I've had similar issues with a clocking loop where everything was trying to sync to everything else. The clock was roughly right but not quite at the right frequency.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby manwilde » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:32 pm

Back from the studio. Something was wrong with the clocking, it seems. Don´t wanna bore you with the details, also because Sonaworks Systemwide was involved in the mess, if not directly causing the trouble at least complicating it further.
I´ve reverted to the previous clocking arrangement that had worked with no fuss for over a year and uninstalled Sonarworks for now, since we´re rearranging the furniture and the monitors´ position and a new calibration profile must be created.

I´ll be watching the whole thing attentively until I make sure everything works as expected. We had changed the clocking setup two weeks ago and we did some tests and a paid recording session four days before this one, and all was well, so I still don´t know what went wrong...

Thanks OP, CS70, James, Hugh and everyone, really.
manwilde
Regular

Postby manwilde » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:34 pm

Oh, by the way, the customer said the music sounded fine to him and he could lay down tracks over it without using a click. Phew! :D
manwilde
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:54 pm

Intriguing!

Clocking problems can be very frustrating and not always obvious.

It's easy if things just stop working and it all goes quiet, but some loop problems can cause things to speed up or slow down and, because the whole system does that it's not at all apparent until the file is played on an independent system.

So, it really is worthwhile drawing out the whole system and the digital imterconnections, and which device is the master clock. You can then identify how everything else is synchronised to it, and what switch settings or software configurations are required... And then you can make sure everything is set appropriately. It's all too easy to overlook a setting somewhere!

I also find it helpful, when in doubt, to use a 3kHz tone via an analogue input and record and play it back through the system. Clocking problems tend to be revealed as audible clicks. Regular clicks suggest something is free-running and not properly synchronised. Random clicks suggests an interconnection is inadequate in some way.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby manwilde » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks for the tip, Hugh, will try that next day I´m in the studio. :thumbup:
manwilde
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:33 pm

Was the original session recorded at the same tempo all the way through or were there BPM changes at certain points? If the latter, that's something that would definitely need to be accounted for when trying to match the audio to a new timing grid.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The 2nd SOS Forum Album project

Postby manwilde » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:24 pm

Of course, but no, it was 70bpm all the way through. Now, don't ask me about the time signature, it's nothing esotheric but I'm still trying to figure it out. :o Anyway, as I said, they recorded to a 4/4 click...
manwilde
Regular

Postby manwilde » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Well, unless I get into more trouble again, I think this about wraps it up for me. Just wanted to say one more thing, as a side note, but didn´t want to open a new thread just for this:

It´s just to say that I´m so grateful that this forum and magazine exist, for so many obvious reasons... On this session that I´ve been talking about we recorded our first upright piano, live off the floor with drums, upright bass, acoustic guitar and vocals. I can´t really tell you how many articles and comments here have been of great help to achieve more than useful results on this task. I really couldn´t have done it to a decent standard without this priceless source of information and courtesy. So there you go.

For anyone who, like me, is trying to learn and get better recordings, I wholeheartedly recommend reading https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/10-biggest-recording-mistakes, just to pick one out of a million. And keep on trying, again and again.

Big thumbs up for you all!.
manwilde
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:20 pm

manwilde wrote:It´s just to say that I´m so grateful that this forum and magazine exist, for so many obvious reasons... On this session that I´ve been talking about we recorded our first upright piano, live off the floor with drums, upright bass, acoustic guitar and vocals. I can´t really tell you how many articles and comments here have been of great help to achieve more than useful results on this task. I really couldn´t have done it to a decent standard without this priceless source of information and courtesy. So there you go.
Seconded! It's an incredibly knowledgeable and generous community. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous