You are here

PC upgrade - a diary

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: PC upgrade - a diary

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:11 pm

Having some fun with Izotope. Trying to authorize there is a tickbox for 'Use iLok authorisation', that being what I use I have ticked it.
Which then gives me an error message "Your serial number for does (sic) not support iLok authorisation or is already authorised with an iLok. Please use the Challenge/Response method of contact Technical Support for assistance."

Well, I'm sure that whoever wrote that knew what the Challenge/Response method is but I'm bolloxed if I can see anything with that kind of wording anywhere on the either the plugin, the izotope webpage or on the ilok page.

Turns out unticking the 'Use iLok authorisation' is the way to authorise it with iLok. :headbang:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Ok, add about three hours on today and I think we're done.
Including all my awkward control surface set-ups with Reaper. I was expecting this to be harder work but by having a OneDrive folder open on both machines I was able to pick up all the set-up files and templates and just drag them up and down one folder at a time and it all seems to have worked.
I mean, it should work like that, but I'm always a bit surprised that it does.
I have just identified one awkward little fly in the works though. My new computer doesn't have a card-reader - so I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get stuff off the ROdecaster for work, but hopefully it will just work as remote drive when it's not being an AI?
I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Aside from that I think we're there.
Now I just need to back up all my files on the old machine and then work out which ones to archive and which ones to move to the new machine.

But for this thread, I think I'll leave it there unless I run into any further hitches. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:07 pm

Congratulations on a successful move! I hope your new machine lasts as long as the old. There’s no reason why not these days.
RichardT
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Cheers Richard, here's hoping; the last one did stirling service.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 pm

As it came from Scan I suspect your new PC will have a long and happy life like the previous one ;)

Well done Drew! :clap:

Do we open a bottle of champagne in its honour now?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Give me a couple of days to transfer everything across and we can do it at the SOS meet on wednesday. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:32 pm

:thumbup:
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Hmmm.
Well, all is not completely well in newPCland.
One plugin refuses to play ball, sadly it's not a gratuitous freebie compressor, it's my piano instrument; SoniVox EightyEight. I have tried a number of approaches now and Reaper just won't find it as an instrument and the authenticator file does nothing. I'm at a loss on that one so waiting on a response from Sonivox support.

The other interesting thing is the C:drive is very noisy, which is a bit weird because it's SSD, I thought that it'd be pretty much silent.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 pm

blinddrew wrote:The other interesting thing is the C:drive is very noisy, which is a bit weird because it's SSD, I thought that it'd be pretty much silent.
That's odd, I'm pretty certain they are silent. It wouldn't be a hybrid drive or whatever they were called?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Says it's an SSD?

On the positive side, following the age old tradition of trying the same thing 'just one more time', EightyEight is now working. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:39 pm

What did your configuration say?
You may have an M.2 SSD for your C drive (which is physically small and plugs into a slot on the motherboard) along with a separate hard disk.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby N i g e l » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:17 pm

I have had PCs with Crucial & Sandisk SSDs. Totally silent & lighter than a guitar string winder. Just ICs inside, no moving parts.

If you put your finger on the case can you feel a vibration that is not fan related ? is the part number visible ?

My M.2 SSD that plugs into the motherboard is just an exposed PCB with chips on it.
Faster than a main SSD drive and favoured for streaming of mega sample libraries.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:23 pm

wireman wrote:What did your configuration say?
You may have an M.2 SSD for your C drive (which is physically small and plugs into a slot on the motherboard) along with a separate hard disk.
Yep, this is the set-up.
I'll try and grab a video of it next time.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:49 am

I have isolated the noise source. I've added a card reader in the empty front slot (I didn't realise modern machines didn't have them as standard!) but it only attaches on one side. When the fan kicks in it's vibrating, a bit of finger pressure silences it so I shall find a suitable wedge material and sort that out.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:18 pm

It's always rewarding to cure a studio rattle Drew - well done in anticipation! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

PreviousNext