You are here

Windows 10 - flickering screen? Can't do anything?? - help!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Windows 10 - flickering screen? Can't do anything?? - help!

Postby james090 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:36 pm

I am not a primarily a Windows user, so thought i'd ask here with this problem.

Just borrowing a good spec gaming PC to see if I can use for audio running Windows 10.
It was all formatted, and after a few turn ons, it seemed to do its own thing with Windows updates that it needed?

Anyway now when i launch, even before getting to the password page to get into the machine, the PC just has a continuous flickering screen every second, and i cannot do anything??!!

just random intermittent flashes that wont allow you to do anything or get anywhere?
all i can do is shut down???

Any ideas what this means and how i move on or get around it??
Very frustrating!
james090
Regular

Re: Windows 10 - flickering screen? Can't do anything?? - help!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:57 pm

Have you checked that the cable between monitor screen and desktop is secure? And if so, it might be worth checking that any internal graphics card is secure too.

But your description sounds like a connection/broken cable issue rather than anything specifically windows-related.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby james090 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:23 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Have you checked that the cable between monitor screen and desktop is secure? And if so, it might be worth checking that any internal graphics card is secure too.

But your description sounds like a connection/broken cable issue rather than anything specifically windows-related.

Yes agree and very weird as this hasn't been moved?

I checked the cable in different DVI sockets (there are 2) and a HDMI socket with the same cable and a different cable.

It maybe as you say, just loose internally?

But i wanted to ask if there was some weird unwanted Windows update that its done automatically, that conflicted with Windows drivers?
james090
Regular

Postby wireman » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:57 pm

It would be useful to know if it gets to a BIOS setup screen but if you are unfamiliar with it then that could be problematic and you don't want to type anything when on a BIOS setup screen you can't see.

If it is a windows driver then you can boot into safe mode but again it helps if you have experience of PCs.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:14 am

wireman wrote:It would be useful to know if it gets to a BIOS setup screen but if you are unfamiliar with it then that could be problematic and you don't want to type anything when on a BIOS setup screen you can't see.

If it is a windows driver then you can boot into safe mode but again it helps if you have experience of PCs.

This actually loads to the Windows 10 wallpaper, so I am guessing its a little further 'in' than the BIOS, but it starts flickering madly when on the W10 wallpaper screen it asks you to input the password to get in..

It so bad that I can't input anything to open up the PC?!
james090
Regular

Postby james090 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:55 pm

Any further thoughts on this?

I have opened up the side of the PC and all the graphics card/other cards seem to be seated fine. But Windows 10 boots, and on the screen BEFORE entering a password it just flickers the whole screen every second, so its completely useless and I can't even get into Windows?

I have changed the cable to the Monitor and changed the different sockets DVI x2 and HDMI cable and all the same.

All i can guess is that this has done some Windows update in the background that has now made the monitor flicker?

I am tempted to reformat the whole thing and try and put Windows XP on it (it will be away the internet) and I only need a couple of older XP programs. (I am using a Mac as my main DAW but an XP recorder would be helpful)

But how do I start up Windows so that it goes to a format screen and boots from an XP CD to install?
james090
Regular

Postby wireman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:18 pm

You are going to reformat a PC that you 'borrowed'?

Anyway I'm not that familiar with Windows 10 but assume it can be restarted in safe mode. If it can then do that, if you don't see the problem then try to roll back to an earlier system restore checkpoint (if Windows 10 has those).
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby james090 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:16 am

wireman wrote:You are going to reformat a PC that you 'borrowed'?

Anyway I'm not that familiar with Windows 10 but assume it can be restarted in safe mode. If it can then do that, if you don't see the problem then try to roll back to an earlier system restore checkpoint (if Windows 10 has those).

Reformatting isn't a problem as its a good friends PC.

I don't want to, but as good as the PC is, its totally dead at the moment, as the first screen with the password on, just flickers on off every second and nothing is responding.

I can't even do CTRL ALT DELETE to get any further? only turn it off??

I have tried several different cables, sockets, and a different monitor and its all the same?

Is there anyway to get into the PC at all when it boots up without this flickering?
james090
Regular

Postby ef37a » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 am

Warning! PC numpty about to opine!

I have 'messed' with PCs for years but what I am about to say is NOT the words of any expert!

Does the PC have a cd/dvd drive? If so and you say you can get to the BIOS screen, look for the the boot sequence. You need to set it to boot from CD. If, as seems likely, you have an XP disc, you can in theory install XP but I tried this a year or so ago and Windows did not like it.

What I think you need is a W10 boot/repair disc? (Pete?) if so, and someone can tell me how to make one I can jiffy it to you assuming you are in EU. Or it might be possible to boot from a USB stick, if so again I can make one if told how.

Just thought. I assume you have a mac? I don't know but maybe you can download a boot/repair app for Windows?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby james090 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:40 am

ef37a wrote:Warning! PC numpty about to opine!

I have 'messed' with PCs for years but what I am about to say is NOT the words of any expert!

Does the PC have a cd/dvd drive? If so and you say you can get to the BIOS screen, look for the the boot sequence. You need to set it to boot from CD. If, as seems likely, you have an XP disc, you can in theory install XP but I tried this a year or so ago and Windows did not like it.

What I think you need is a W10 boot/repair disc? (Pete?) if so, and someone can tell me how to make one I can jiffy it to you assuming you are in EU. Or it might be possible to boot from a USB stick, if so again I can make one if told how.

Just thought. I assume you have a mac? I don't know but maybe you can download a boot/repair app for Windows?

Dave.

Thanks but I do have Windows 10 disc, but I can't even get to the boot up sequence page?
It boots and shows 1 stationery window as its loading, and as soon as the first windows screen pops up before the password, it just flickers and wont let you input anything??

I've pressed every combination of keys and nothing, its just unresponsive on the windows screen where you should type up your password, and it wont allow you to do anything - not even reformat?

I have put a CD in the drive and it does nothing, (i know you need to set it to boot from that but no such luck)

So its useless and its a good new tower (from my friend) i7 16GB etc
But all you can do it boot up, and force a shutdown???!!
james090
Regular

Postby ef37a » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:45 am

james090 wrote:
ef37a wrote:Warning! PC numpty about to opine!

Dave.

Thanks but I do have Windows 10 disc, but I can't even get to the boot up sequence page?
It boots and shows 1 stationery window as its loading, and as soon as the first windows screen pops up before the password, it just flickers and wont let you input anything??

I've pressed every combination of keys and nothing, its just unresponsive on the windows screen where you should type up your password, and it wont allow you to do anything - not even reformat?

I have put a CD in the drive and it does nothing, (i know you need to set it to boot from that but no such luck)

So its useless and its a good new tower (from my friend) i7 16GB etc
But all you can do it boot up, and force a shutdown???!!

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways- ... windows-10

Help? ^

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster