You are here

Any HP users with RME?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Any HP users with RME?

Postby VitalSigns » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:05 pm

I have a new HP Prodesk 400 G6 Windows 10 PC to replace the old Synergy (what happened to them?) XP one. I've managed to download my Software and plugins, and the UAD-2 PCIe cards OK, but I tried 2 Startech adaptors - a PCIe via DVI box with 4 PCI slots; and a Firewire 1394 card, to install the old 9632 card and Fireface 400 and both crashed and would not install - even the local computer tech guy gave up. My plan is to install an RME HDSPe AIO soundcard, but I read this on the HP forum:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Fitting-a-Sound-Card/td-p/5092652
which fills me with that sinking feeling. I wonder if there are any HP users who have actually
integrated RME into a modern HP Windows 10 computer?
VitalSigns

Re: Any HP users with RME?

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:20 pm

What are you thinking of? The physical installation seems to absolutely normal, the user in that thread probably had not much experience with install PCI cards (lots of people never do, in these days of USB connectivity for everything) bit it's really nothing complicated.

As of software, a PCIe bus is a PCIe bus and it's one of the most overall compatible interfaces for motherboards.. so long the card in mechanically installed properly, you just download the latest drivers from the RME website and off you go.

The only issue would be if your motherboard doesn't have a free PCIe slot but thast's easy to check before buying the interface.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Dan LB » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:07 am

I recently installed an RME HDSPe AES card in a HP Z2 running Windows 10.

Physically I had no trouble installing the PCIe card along with its expansion board.
I then went to the RME website, downloaded and installed the latest drivers along with TotalMix and I was up and running - or so I thought......

I was getting strange glitches on the outputs which I couldn’t track down initially - I thought it was a clocking issue at first, but I managed to rule that out.
I eventually went into the BIOS on the PC and discovered that there was some sort of ‘eco power saving mode’ switched on for the PCIe slot that the RME card was installed in. I switched that setting off and my audio was nice and clean in and out of the computer. I guess the RME PCIe cards are fussy about the power they receive from the mobo so it’s certainly something to watch out for. Other than that, you should have no trouble at all :thumbup:

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby VitalSigns » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:55 pm

What am I thinking of? Don't quite get that. I've been trying to utilise the RME HDSP 9632
and Fireface 400 from my old XP PC onto the new HP Desktop. The Startech adaptors - PCIe to PCI expansion box and PCIe Firewire card should be plug and play but the new PC wouldn't boot up, whether RME drivers were downloaded or not. The local computer techs
build and repair PCs and Macs and they reported that the adaptors worked OK on other
machines and advised me to return them. I've seen a few other forum posts mentioning
problems with HP. At this point, I think I'll play safe and return the PC - I just know the chances are I'll buy a RME PCIe soundcard which will cost as much as the PC but I won't be
able to use it, and the 14 day returns window is a couple of days away. If I upgrade the 9632
card and Fireface to a PCIe card and Fireface UC USB interface I'll need to pay over £1300 to
have the same sound quality I have now with PCI and Firewire. I'll see if I can get a 64bit machine which has Firewire and PCI slots so I can get back to music, albeit in 32bit fashion.
No trouble? It's been nothing but!
VitalSigns

Postby resistorman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:22 pm

The RME HDSP 9632 should work fine. FireWire on Win 10 is problematical. Google FireWire and Windows 10 for some insight.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Apologies, misread the bit about the adapters. Yeah, they can be a pain in the back, and if you don't have a separate PCI port in the HP, it can be painful. Is your adapter x8 or x16? The form factor is often identical but in the x8 only half of the connections do something!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby VitalSigns » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Well - I've decided to give up trying to integrate PCI into a new machine. I'm sending
back the HP desktop and getting a PC built by an audio workstation company. I'll
use the RME 9632 to record my guitar DI at home and the Fireface 400 to record drums
and other instruments in the studio on the old XP PC; the new machine will have Firewire and I'll use the 400 as a soundcard for all Samplitude, Sibelius and other programs, and I'll gradually upgrade everything into 64bit. I discovered there is one fairly recent MB that has a PCI slot, the ASRock Z370 Pro 4 but the companies I contacted weren't interested in supplying it.
VitalSigns