You are here

Recommendation for simplest soft synth

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Recommendation for simplest soft synth

Postby Kosmische » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:10 pm

Hi folks

I have way too many VSTs on my laptop from a time when I had more money than sense and bought them because I liked the look of them, or read great reviews or whatever. So, I ended up with too many extremely complicated ones e.g. Serum, Omnisphere, Falcon etc.

Omnisphere was the first one I bought and I did manage to sort of find my way around it without however getting very deeply into it at all.

Given like everyone else, I now have a lot of time on my hands, I wanted to really get into what I've got but thought I should probably start from the beginning with something reasonably straightforward and go from there.

So, can you recommend a sort of starter synth? Assume I know very little right now.

Thanks as usual.
Kosmische
Regular
[Insert a few incredibly witty lines here]

Re: Recommendation for simplest soft synth

Postby desmond » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 pm

What is it you are trying to achieve? To learn analog subtractive synthesis? Synthesis in general? Sound design? how to use these things to amek music?

All complex synths can be simple - you can take Omnisphere, just have one part with 1 oscillator playing a waveform, and experiment with oscillator controls, filters, envelopes, and basic modulation - which is essentially what all simple synths are - in the process, you're finding your way around your good but underused synths, and can expand further into the instrument as your learning process takes you, without hitting limitations and moving to a different unfamiliar instrument to pick up where you left off.

I guess it really depends on what your goals are?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio