You are here

TV vs Monitor Advice

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

TV vs Monitor Advice

Postby trash116 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:14 pm

Hi everyone,

After abit of advice, I currently use an old Sony 37" TV in my home studio - but I need to replace it now.

The ideal size for my studio is 40"

I've found both a 40" TV and a 40" monitor.

The TV is a Sony KDL-40WE663 - resolution 1920x1080 LCD screen.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/supp ... ifications

The monitor is Hannspree HL407UPB
1920 x 1080 Full HD Resolution
Ports - HDMI VGA USB
16:9 Aspect Ratio
Refresh Rates - 75 Hz
8.5 MS Response Time

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hannspr ... ersion.asp

Price wise TV is GBP£349 Monitor is GBP£212

I won't be doing any gaming, or watching TV - it's purely for my DAW.

When I looked many years ago, I remember alot of views saying image quality wasn't as good on TVs as opposed to monitors... but I switched from a two monitor set up to a TV and found that worked better for me.

I was abit worried about the monitor as it is a brand I am not aware of

Any views on which would be better?

Many thanks for help
M
trash116
Poster

Re: TV vs Monitor Advice

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:49 pm

40" is a lot of screen and at that size I would be looking at a 4K display for either an AOC or a Samsung. A low-res screen at that size will give you eye-ache!

I have two calibrated 4K AOC 32" screens in front of me and I use them for DAW and film editing.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:56 pm

I've been using a 28" 4k ElectriQ monitor from Laptops Direct for a few months now. It probably wouldn't be any good if you need accurate colour rendering but it seems fine otherwise. I have also used a similar sized Hannspree monitor in the past which was fine although obviously a bit more cheaply made than the Dell monitors that we were also using at the same time. I've no experience with the 40" models although I would suggest going for a higher resolution and using Windows' scaling features if you need things to appear larger.

TV's tend to have various picture enhancements enabled automatically which need to be switched off when used as a monitor.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby resistorman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:55 pm

4K TVs have come way down in price, I’d agree that’s what you should use. Will your computer video push one?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby trash116 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:04 pm

thanks for the advice so far

I've looked at 4k screens based on advice.

I've looked at coming down to 40", the price between TVs & monitors seems to differ alot.

For example 40" 4K JVC TV's available at around £259GBP whereas 40" 4K seem alot more expensive?

Will a TV be ok or is it worth saving harder for a monitor?

Thanks again
trash116
Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:17 pm

I Have been using a 40" JVC smart tv for computer work for some years. I admit nothing very critical but it worked for me.

In another room I have a cheap Bush FSTV on a desktop and sit only a mtr or so from it and find it pin sharp (but! The eye is like the ears, 75 years old )

One caveat, FSTVs do not seem that reliable? I am on my third main one since digital TV arrived so, although I don't usually recommend them, take out a 5yr insurance if offered.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster