You are here

Is there such a thing as a switched USB cable?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Is there such a thing as a switched USB cable?

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:18 pm

You're right, a BIOS setting will usually determine whether or not the USB is enabled when the rest of the motherboard is turned off, but I've never seen an option to keep it off during boot.. the hardware has little idea that the OS is booting, in general.

A switch on the power cable as suggested sounds like the best option. In a pinch, you can get a cable extension with one of these rocket switches, connect the interface to that and use it as a on/off device.

As why the interface causes BSODs.. do they occur only on startup/shutdown? Which interface is it? What kind of computer is it connected to? Is it old or slow?

If they occur randomly, it could be that the most recent interface drivers are tuned to set the USB buffer too small, so installing an older version might help..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:26 pm

Well, it appears that powering up the interface after everything else has settled can also cause a BSOD so we're almost back to square one. Although not quite because it doesn't happen every time if i do it this way round.
For what it's worth, the interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 (1st gen) and the pc is brand new from Scan. And to be fair Pete did say there could be issues with the age of the interface.
Ho hum.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:01 pm

Ouch. Could be worth asking the guys at Focusrite.

And for what it's worth, downloading an older version of the driver..

What's the BSOD minidump (or error msg say)?
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:46 pm

Page error in non paged area.
Hadn't thought about an older set of drivers. I have to confess to not really following the logic there but I can give it a go if I can find them. Don't think they're available on the web so that'll be a note to F'rite but in the meantime I have found a focusrite application that's running on start-up, so I've disabled that and will see what happens when I reboot.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:50 pm

blinddrew wrote:I have to confess to not really following the logic there but I can give it a go if I can find them.

It is worth a try if you are having unresolvable driver issues with recent versions. Sometimes a later change in the driver - which might not even be applicable in your particular hardware - can cause unintended bugs, whereas a previous version, using the old, existing and perhaps time-tested behaviour can work better.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:04 pm

blinddrew wrote:Page error in non paged area.
Hadn't thought about an older set of drivers. I have to confess to not really following the logic there but I can give it a go if I can find them. Don't think they're available on the web so that'll be a note to F'rite but in the meantime I have found a focusrite application that's running on start-up, so I've disabled that and will see what happens when I reboot.

It's a long shot, but trying costs nothing, segmentation faults or page faults are typical of a driver trying to read past its own memory boundaries in kernel mode, which in our case could indicate a USB buffer overrun which is not captured properly by the driver. Older driver may set larger USB buffer and so be better in coping with fast data rates, at the cost of higher minimum latency. There's a million ways to set that buffer, but a constant value is not unheard of, and older drives might have larger buffers in both directions.

Could be also worth to check your disk and re-set the page file size - disk errors in the page file might be a reason and if that's all fine, a RAM check (there's the Windows memory diagnostics and usually also a BIOS checkup). If the PC is newly being assembled, it could be something as simple as a bad connection on one of the RAM modules.

That said, I have been so disappointed by the treatment that Focusrite gave to the Forte, supposedly one of the premium interfaces when it was sold, that I can't see myself buying anything from them that depends on software.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:42 pm

desmond wrote:I've ordered another USB hub to replace (or complement) my existing Kensington dalek.
We'll see how it goes...

So far, so good! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Moroccomoose » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:58 pm

Turning off the internal sound card in BIOS fixed my interface BSOD issues... but it is a firewire interface not usb.
Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:42 pm

It's possible that disabling the focusrite notifier in start-up may have sorted my specific problem. So far, so good but I'm reluctant to call it fixed before I've had a couple more days to play with it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:27 pm

My reluctance was well-placed. BSOD on first fire up the last couple of days, no extended boot up issues recently though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous