You are here

Stopping Win10 updates

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Stopping Win10 updates

Postby OneWorld » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:57 pm

I have an old trouper of a pc which I use apart from my music PC. It is an old 4 core Xeon and it plods along just fine, in fact it is quite snappy, I can watch bbc I player, write docs, have several web sites open, use it as a media server etc no sweat. I am on Win10 1803 and it constantly wants to upgrade to 1903. I turn it on and occasionally goes through the update procedure, then gets to the final bit and rolls back to 1803.

I have disabled Services/Windows Update but I read on the internet that Windows Medic always turns Windows Update back on again.

I have looked through logs and can’t find what stops the update. Some on the internet say it can be the NIC but I disabled it but it still won’t update.

Any ideas.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Stopping Win10 updates

Postby James Perrett » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:06 pm

If you have Windows 10 Pro you can disable automatic updates completely. I remember finding a guide on how to do this on the net but it was 3 years ago and all I can remember is that it involved going to the registry and changing something (Group Policy?) to make the computer think that it was using a corporate update policy. When I go to the update page now it tells me in red that some settings are managed by your organisation.

I get update reminders but updates are completely manual. I've certainly managed to delay the installation of 2004 for over 6 months and I may well miss it out completely.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:30 pm

OneWorld wrote:I have an old trouper of a pc which I use apart from my music PC. It is an old 4 core Xeon and it plods along just fine, in fact it is quite snappy, I can watch bbc I player, write docs, have several web sites open, use it as a media server etc no sweat. I am on Win10 1803 and it constantly wants to upgrade to 1903. I turn it on and occasionally goes through the update procedure, then gets to the final bit and rolls back to 1803.

I have disabled Services/Windows Update but I read on the internet that Windows Medic always turns Windows Update back on again.

I have looked through logs and can’t find what stops the update. Some on the internet say it can be the NIC but I disabled it but it still won’t update.

Any ideas.

Disconnect your PC from the internet and leave it disconnected. If you need different software, download it someplace else and carry it over an USB stick or a portable SSD.

As so many of the updates are security related, it's the only sensible thing to do.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:58 pm

CS70 wrote:
OneWorld wrote:I have an old trouper of a pc which I use apart from my music PC. It is an old 4 core Xeon and it plods along just fine, in fact it is quite snappy, I can watch bbc I player, write docs, have several web sites open, use it as a media server etc no sweat. I am on Win10 1803 and it constantly wants to upgrade to 1903. I turn it on and occasionally goes through the update procedure, then gets to the final bit and rolls back to 1803.

Any ideas.

Disconnect your PC from the internet and leave it disconnected. If you need different software, download it someplace else and carry it over an USB stick or a portable SSD.

As so many of the updates are security related, it's the only sensible thing to do.

Just did that, but I couldn't get YouTube, BBC iPlayer and neither could I read your solution here so I have to turn it back on again
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:02 am

James Perrett wrote:If you have Windows 10 Pro you can disable automatic updates completely. I remember finding a guide on how to do this on the net but it was 3 years ago and all I can remember is that it involved going to the registry and changing something (Group Policy?) to make the computer think that it was using a corporate update policy. When I go to the update page now it tells me in red that some settings are managed by your organisation.

I get update reminders but updates are completely manual. I've certainly managed to delay the installation of 2004 for over 6 months and I may well miss it out completely.

Right, yep, there was a mention of that on the internet but I thought surely there is an easier way, seems not. I can understand, it does make sense to get the updates, my music pc is up to date (1909) and I like the changes, but for some reason it refuses to update this machine I am typing this on.

And surely after a failed update, then Win10 would be clever enough to see it has tried to update before and failed so why try again, unless asked to
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:01 am

OneWorld wrote:Just did that, but I couldn't get YouTube, BBC iPlayer and neither could I read your solution here so I have to turn it back on again

Hehe, I understand the conundrum. YT and the BBC could be let go easily, but how can you live without my solution? :D

Jokes apart, it is really so that most of the updates are necessary. It's like a recall for a call - annoying but would you keep on driving if they told your there's a chance your brakes would fail? Now of course one could wonder about a car who gets recalled every month, but that's the metaphor breaks, because an OS is million times more complex than a car.
If the computer refuses to update, it should be fixed.

All that said, a simple trick of doing what you want is to create a task in the Task Scheduler that once every hour or half an hour checks and disables the Windows Update service (you can make a very simple script to do it and the task will run it).

It is a bad idea, but that's never stopped anybody. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:06 am

The stopwindowsupdate.bat script looks something like

Code: Select all
@echo off
sc config "Windows Update" start= disabled
sc stop "Windows Update"

(there's many ways to do it but that's one).

The Task Scheduler is relatively self-explanatory to use.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:15 am

*caveat emptor* *tuorum periculo*

local group policy editor: computer configuration>administrative templates>windows components>windows update: configure automatic updates should be set to disabled.

Be sure you disable quick start in power options or the system will reload the default when you restart.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:28 am

I had a similar problem. You need to use the latest update assistant tool, and it should be able to do the update. Worked for me, when I was stuck like you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -assistant
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:25 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have come across a website which lists 10 freeware Win10 update stoppers, some of which are portable apps so don't apparently festoon the PC with detrius.

I have come across other sites that show the Win10 update fail is not such an uncommon problem and there are all manner of reasons and fixes. The most difficult thing is identifying the cause in my case.

It might be easier to buy the media (I was one of those that got the free Win7 to Win10 upgrade way back when) and then format the drive and try to get up to date that way instead. Which in the long run might be better anyway, sort of forces one to declutter the drive.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:20 pm

Hm the failures I've seen all boil down to a few things - mostly permissions gone awry.

If you post the error you get and grab data from the event viewer it's usually possible to get it sorted in no time at all.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:01 pm

CS70 wrote:Hm the failures I've seen all boil down to a few things - mostly permissions gone awry.

If you post the error you get and grab data from the event viewer it's usually possible to get it sorted in no time at all.

I got some freeware to do it.

Now I want to try and find out what's stopping the update, but that's a job for another day.

The event log gives no clue as to what the issue is. The install log does seem to have some indication but the content is too cryptic. My plan is to dis-connect/remove all but essential hardware and attempt a fresh install on a formatted drive and then go back to install logs etc and see if there are any clues there.

But seeing as I only use the machine for Word Docs, YouTube watching, emailing etc I wonder if it is worth the bother. I can still download Windows Defender updates and drivers so I might leave it at that.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kypresso » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:14 am

OneWorld wrote:It might be easier to buy the media (I was one of those that got the free Win7 to Win10 upgrade way back when) and then format the drive and try to get up to date that way instead. Which in the long run might be better anyway, sort of forces one to declutter the drive.

No need to buy anything, you can download it from microsoft for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10
Kypresso
New here

Postby Arpangel » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:37 am

My ultimate solution to this very problem was don’t connect to the net unless you really have to, it’s turned off on my Win 10 machine, only turned on for application updates.
I use a tablet just for internet browsing, and this place.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:46 pm

Arpangel wrote:My ultimate solution to this very problem was don’t connect to the net unless you really have to, it’s turned off on my Win 10 machine, only turned on for application updates.
I use a tablet just for internet browsing, and this place.

This is rhetorical, how can I read your advice without being connected to the internet? It is like saying the best way to avoid singing out of tune is to stop singing - it is the baby out with the bathwater syndrome
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next