You are here

Audio interface advice

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Audio interface advice

Postby Rockrooms » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:01 pm

ef37a wrote:
OneWorld wrote:
Rockrooms wrote:.............but is more of a lottery and you're always one Windows update away from things going south............
Joe

A good point well put!

Well! There must be some unlucky Bs out there. I have been running a W10 laptop for two years and my DAWs and variuos interfaces that get connected from tme to time have never been jinxed by updates. In fact I don't even recall any day to day operation being in the least affected?

Dave.

My Dell XPS15 recently updated to Win 10 2004 and now I can plug one device into the Thunderbolt/USB-C port per power cycle of the machine. If I disconnect a device and attach another, it won't enumerate until a power cycle. Didn't have to google very far to find this seems to be a known problem with my laptop model and the 2004 update. The advice is to revert to 1909 and it starts working again. Some will rightly argue that technically that's a new OS update, but Win 10 support cycles and security issues mean that there really isn't much choice but to upgrade and I had held off for a while.

That's just one of my machines. Many others have suffered in various ways as default system behavior is changed or modified and code that used to work fine is now broken or different.

To be fair to MS, the amount of combinations of hardware and drivers is utterly vast, but when you have a such as vast customer base, the "small percentage of affected users" is often a sizeable number. Sometimes fixes are in the dammed if they do dammed if they don't especially with security mitigation that can affect performance.

I work with a lot of different hardware, so probably get to experience this more often than most, comes with the territory, but can be incredibly frustrating.

Joe
Rockrooms
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:12 pm

The Elf wrote:I must be equally lucky.

I get a call every couple of months from a friend who, when he hits a problem, *always* blames it on a Microsoft update. Needless to say that's never been the case, and we always manage to get him back up and running once I figure out what he's done...

Right, I do find I lose my Talk Talk wi fi connection several times a day (go down to the 'plane' and reset it) but that happens with my old HP W7 lappy as well. Any ideas about that GRATEFULLY received!

By the way, despite the constant dire warnings the HP has not been taken over by a hacker and works fine on the net with just Ms SE.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:40 pm

The Elf wrote:I must be equally lucky.

I get a call every couple of months from a friend who, when he hits a problem, *always* blames it on a Microsoft update. Needless to say that's never been the case, and we always manage to get him back up and running once I figure out what he's done...

We must have the same friend... :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous