You are here

Audio interface disconnects intermittently anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Audio interface disconnects intermittently anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour

Postby guitardavid » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 am

Hi, I'm new here and have been having a very frustrating problem with my PC Audio Labs Windows 10 computer with an AMD Ryzen processor and 32GB of Ram. At first I had an Audient id14 and I assumed the problem was the interface, so to be able to record without having to stop every minute or hour, I bought a Tascam Model 12, which is great for my microphone recordings, but I would still like to play my electric into my DAW to add distortion, etc., and the Tascam has the same issue and the sound only restarts if I turn the Tascam off momentarily, or click on the monitor button on the DAW (Reaper). Cakewalk has the same issue. I spoke with the manufacturer and was told the USB is very reliable and can't be the problem. I've tried turning off all the USB power saving modes and would appreciate any advice to be had! Thank you very much.
guitardavid

Re: Audio interface disconnects intermittently anywhere from 1 minute to 1 hour

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:28 pm

I know from bitter experience that not all USB interfaces are the same. Some companies publish compatibility lists of interface types with which their equipment has been checked to work. I would find out what interface type you have and see if it is on a list somewhere.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:06 pm

More info needed. Are you connecting through an add-on PCIEcard or integrated USB hub?

If it's happening with any AI and any DAW then those are probably not the issue. Try updating your drivers? Sometimes windows sets itself up oddly during install. Consider reinstalling the OS.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby CS70 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:42 pm

guitardavid wrote:Hi, I'm new here and have been having a very frustrating problem with my PC Audio Labs Windows 10 computer with an AMD Ryzen processor and 32GB of Ram. At first I had an Audient id14 and I assumed the problem was the interface, so to be able to record without having to stop every minute or hour, I bought a Tascam Model 12, which is great for my microphone recordings, but I would still like to play my electric into my DAW to add distortion, etc., and the Tascam has the same issue and the sound only restarts if I turn the Tascam off momentarily, or click on the monitor button on the DAW (Reaper). Cakewalk has the same issue. I spoke with the manufacturer and was told the USB is very reliable and can't be the problem. I've tried turning off all the USB power saving modes and would appreciate any advice to be had! Thank you very much.

9/10 the power management system disconnects it because it thinks it's not in use.
That would happen with all interfaces, since it's a property of the USB controller and not of the interface.

You need to disable power management on the devices in Device Manager and anything to do with power management in the BIOS.

Either that or the USB controller is defective - it can happen.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby guitardavid » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 am

Thanks all for your help and advice. I am using USB 2.0 directly into the computer and have tried switching to all ports, I bought an expensive USB cable-no change. I have turned off all the USB power saving settings in Power Mgmt. How can one tell if the USB controller is functional?

Thanks again for your advice. I feel like my $1400 computer was a bad purchase but I can't afford to get another one.
guitardavid

Postby CS70 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 am

Cool, but there's more to power management than the power management plan (unfortunately, a pain with Windows 10 is that different settings for the same thing are placed all over the place.. they try to unify things, but then always leave the "old way" on for back-compatibility, and I guess to avoid power user anger! :D)

There was a post some time ago in the "product news" that made a very good list of all that you need to do to get the system in shape.. it was made for promoting their product but the content was top notch... but can't find it now :(

The Focusrite page is also a good starting point, check specifically the part about Device Manager (not just the plain "Power Settings")

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... Windows-10
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page