You are here

Running MacOs on Windows 10 ?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Running MacOs on Windows 10 ?

Postby MikeN » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:50 pm

Is it possible to run MacOS on a pc/laptop designed for Windows 10?

If so - how can this be done?

I have heard of running "virtual machines" - a software emulation of a complete machine.
Could a virtual machine of a Mac be created and installed within Windows 10 - which could be used successfully to install and use Logic without any issues?

Thank you

Mike N
MikeN
Poster

Re: Running MacOs on Windows 10 ?

Postby IAA » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Desmond is the authority on all matters Mac, so he may come over soon, but I can’t imagine a legal way to do this. But I’m quite a conventional sorta Mac user!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:20 pm

IAA wrote:Desmond is the authority on all matters Mac, so he may come over soon, but I can’t imagine a legal way to do this. But I’m quite a conventional sorta Mac user!

Yes, but this is not about Mac software it's about Windows/PC software that can emulate a Mac, and I'm not up on PC software I'm afraid.

Yes, you can virtualise Windows on the Mac using Parallels, Fusion, VirtualBox etc, and I'm sure there are PC equivalents to run VMs on Windows, but I'm not the person to advise on Windows software, I'm afraid.

A bit of googling should suffice though, I would have thought.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Agharta » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:56 pm

You wouldn't generally want to use highly latency sensitive software in a VM, so a DAW is not a good idea.
You can run MacOS on some general purpose Intel hardware, but that is not supported, may well be against the license terms and from what I've heard can be a pain.
It's not something that I will refer to beyond that due to the licensing issue.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:02 pm

With modern versions of MacOS, you *are* entitle to run it in a VM, proving you own a copy of MacOS - ie, you have a Mac that runs MacOS.

I don't think it's permitted to use MacOS if you don't own a Mac, as you don't have essentially a licence to use MacOS at all.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:13 pm

The answer is no. I use Oracle Virtual Box to run Linux, etc., on a PC, although you can use a Mac running OS X as a VB host, (and Linux too).

The Oracle VB manual states:

Mac OS X is commercial, licensed software and contains both license and technical restrictions that limit its use to certain hardware and usage scenarios. You must understand and comply with these restrictions.

In particular, Apple prohibits the installation of most versions of Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware.

These license restrictions are also enforced on a technical level. Mac OS X verifies that it is running on Apple hardware. Most DVDs that accompany Apple hardware check for the exact model. These restrictions are not circumvented by Oracle VM VirtualBox and continue to apply.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:57 pm

I think the word you want to search for is Hackintosh. That's where people take a PC that is sufficiently similar to an equivalent Mac and run MacOs on it.

It is probably much easier to run Windows 10 on Intel based Mac hardware as a dual boot if you want to be able to run both.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page