You are here

Lots of crackling and popping

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Lots of crackling and popping

Postby TheLegit » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:22 pm

I've got a largish project going with a load of tracks and plugins and the CPU hit is showing at 60% (5+ years old i7 Quadcore on Windows 7), RAM is fine as this is the mix stage so 10gb available.

Would this be an issue with the CPU or the HDD playing back the audio tracks along with the CPU hit causing the popping crackling. It's pretty much constant now!!
TheLegit
Regular

Re: Lots of crackling and popping

Postby blinddrew » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:43 pm

Is that 60% use in the DAW or across the machine as a whole?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Rockrooms » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:28 am

TheLegit wrote:I've got a largish project going with a load of tracks and plugins and the CPU hit is showing at 60% (5+ years old i7 Quadcore on Windows 7), RAM is fine as this is the mix stage so 10gb available.

Would this be an issue with the CPU or the HDD playing back the audio tracks along with the CPU hit causing the popping crackling. It's pretty much constant now!!

In the resource monitor app you'll want to look at the disk queue length whilst running your project, if it is > 1 then your disk is most likely the issue. The average response time is also a good indicator, if things are taking tens of ms then the disk isn't keeping up.

Although CPU can be the bottle neck, disk would be my first suspect, especially if its a traditional one rather than SSD. You could try setting very large buffer sizes, but that's only going to get you so far. Printing the tracks and disabling plugins might help a bit. If your DAW is clever enough not to read muted tracks, that might also give a clue as to where the tipping point is.

Joe
Rockrooms
Regular

Postby TheLegit » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks all, I actually have an OS SSD and HDD is where all the audio mixdown files are. Maybe in the future I should mix on the SSD. I've actually starting setting up busses (something I should have done anyway) and this has allowed me to reduce the plugins on individual tracks and that has improved things.
TheLegit
Regular