You are here

M.2 SSDs

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

M.2 SSDs

Postby TheLegit » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:25 pm

I've been looking at some SCAN PCs and some of their audio workstations have these M.2 drives. Anyone use them and what are the benefits !
TheLegit
Regular

Re: M.2 SSDs

Postby Luke W » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:27 pm

I think the main benefit is speed, they're quite a bit quicker than SATA drives.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Trevor Johnson » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Very fast boot up and very fast application loading.

Also, data transfer between M.2 SSDs on the same motherboard are lightning quick, although in practical terms, less useful than you might think.

Not all NVMEs are the same and I have used Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB in a couple of PCs - highly recommended.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby TheLegit » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Would data transfer help playing big projects with multiple audio files?
TheLegit
Regular

Postby Luke W » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:39 pm

TheLegit wrote:Would data transfer help playing big projects with multiple audio files?

I'm not a computer guy so take my answers with a pinch of salt, I just happen to have been reading up on this a bit recently as I'm looking into a PC to run some sample libraries.

In theory yes, but even a "normal" SSD is fast enough to run a hell of a lot of audio files, so I think you'd have to have a fairly extreme session to benefit. From what I've been reading it seems like moving around large chunks of data is a lot quicker, but working with lots of smaller files doesn't benefit as much.
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby jakepaulo32 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:54 pm

In this case I'd say the difference isn't substantial enough to be considered. A regular SSD will do totally fine. These minor few seconds aren't worth it, at least for this. If you'd have huge projects with let's say videos, then yes.
jakepaulo32

Postby TheLegit » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Fair enough seems like overkill!
TheLegit
Regular

Postby Jez Corbett » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:11 pm

If you are running big VST orchestral sessions as a job they are immensely useful. One of my composer partners has 3 2TB M2s on his monster rig and his template opens up in seconds rather than minutes on his old rig.

For anything else, I mean it's certainly nice, but probably overkill yeah. Even a hard drive is fine for my relatively basic music needs.
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster
http://www.jeremycorbett.co.uk