You are here

Alternative to QuickTime Pro in Win 10

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Alternative to QuickTime Pro in Win 10

Postby emptybe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Hi All. I'm still ironing our the kinks after upgrading to Windows 10. Among the many 'surprises' :madas: are that QuickTime Pro doesn't work properly any more. I write music to picture for a living and found a workflow of taking the QT file I'm send by editors, then using QT pro to add an mp3 of the mixed audio to that file and just 'save as' a QT file.

But in Win 10 it does...nothing. Doesn't save or keep the audio files. Has anybody found a workaround? Or is there some other alternative app that I can just add the audio to an existing.mov or MP4 file and save as a QT file rather than having to re-render?
emptybe
Poster

Re: Alternative to QuickTime Pro in Win 10

Postby manwilde » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Not familiar with QT, and I'm on Win7, but Reaper's Batch file/Item converter might work for you...
manwilde
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:55 pm

manwilde wrote:Not familiar with QT, and I'm on Win7, but Reaper's Batch file/Item converter might work for you...

Yes, Reaper would do it but I think you would need to re-render the video (unless they've changed things since I last checked).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby emptybe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. I already use Vegas to mix the audio to video which I can then render from but it's slow and usually results in bigger but worse resolution video files than the one's I receive as they're coming from 'proper' edit suits. That's why just sticking my audio onto the original video file works so well...
emptybe
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:38 pm

Is it a case of W10 not having the relevant codec by default and this being something you need to download?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby resistorman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:19 am

QT never was well supported on Windows and they officially killed it four years ago:

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/2 ... hard-place

You’ll want a muxer, maybe this will help?

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MP4Muxer

Likely Mov files are just mp4, you can just change the .mov to .mp4
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby BillB » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:48 pm

resistorman wrote:Likely Mov files are just mp4, you can just change the .mov to .mp4

Googling turns up:

What are the differences between MOV and MP4?

The main difference between these two container formats is that MOV is mostly for use within Mac environments. MOV is a proprietary Apple file format for QuickTime, while MP4 is an international standard. On a Mac, MOV and MP4 are basically interchangeable, and either type of file will play easily. But on other types of devices, video MOV files need to be converted to MP4s or another file format.

MP4 are typically more compressed and smaller in size, while MOV files are often higher in quality and larger in size. MOV files are better for video editing on a Mac, since they're specifically designed for QuickTime.

So - similar but not the same.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby emptybe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:31 am

resistorman wrote:
You’ll want a muxer, maybe this will help?

https://www.videohelp.com/software/MP4Muxer" target="phpbbpopup

Likely Mov files are just mp4, you can just change the .mov to .mp4

Thanks for this. it sounds roughly like what I need but that one didn't work - it didn't recognise any .mov files I use.
emptybe
Poster

Postby resistorman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:04 pm

Make a copy of your .mov file and change it to .mp4 and see what happens. Not saying that it will work all the time, but it’s saved me from a lossy conversion many times.
resistorman
Frequent Poster