You are here

How do I turn off MS Wavetable Synth in XP?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

How do I turn off MS Wavetable Synth in XP?

Postby ulrichburke » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:46 am

Dear Anyone.

OK, so I'm a dinosaur, using XP to write music, guilty as horse-laughed at....!!

Anyway, got a LEGIT copy of Cubase and couldn't get any sound out of it. So I researched, discovered it liked Asio4All, downloaded/installed that. Still no sound. Opened up ASIO4All and the output was crossed out, the error message saying 'MS GS Wavetable Synth enabled?'

So assuming that's the problem - because I don't know how to find out if it is or not, but Asio4All obviously THINKS it is - please, how do I disable it so, if I still get no sound out of Cubase/Asio4All, at least I know it wasn't the wavetable synth that was the problem (problem shooting, with me, is crossing off possibilities till I hit the jackpot!) I'm beginning to think it's a registry job because I can't find anything in Add and Remove Programs but I wanted to check with you ubergeeks before touching Registry!

Yours hopefully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Re: How do I turn off MS Wavetable Synth in XP?

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:02 am

Hi Chris, been a LONG time since I have messed with Cubase (had Ess 6) and even longer since I have used XP* but what you have left out of your post is the interface.

I can only give an analogy with my NI KA6 and Samplitude.

When I setup the latter I get a menu to select driver, ASIO (proper, not the mickey mouse one!) audio device and MIDI device AND to your point a choice of whether to use MSWT or not.

We, son and I did not use WT because it is 'orrible and in any case Cubase has VSTis that are much better. We also had a free magazine copy of a drums app.

*I was actually about to wreck out an old desktop that I think might be XP. Instead I shall fire it up and have a varder. THAT will tax this old brain!

Oh! And download the demo of Modartt's Pianoteq, very handy MIDI 'tester', might work in XP.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ulrichburke » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 am

Dear ef37a.

Thanks very much for your help. I'm not sure what you mean by 'interface' - right now I've just got Cubase installed, a bunch of (mostly freeware, but there's Sampletank, Kontakt Player, Reaktor and Plogue Sforzando as well) VSTs and - er - that's it. All software, no hardware, so I'm not sure what you mean by 'interface'.

All I ever do is put notes in place with a mouse, I have to use notation because I'm disabled and can't play anything. OK, so you've got pianoroll view but I hate pianoroll and loops with a vengeance, if there's a piece of music going that I claim to have written, I want to have WRITTEN it, not just arranged someone else's flowers!

Anyway. I load up the VSTs, lots of pretty green lights flash all over the place - apart from the main exit bus, which is dead. No lights there. And ASIO4ALL still talks about MS Wavetable synth. And - don't laugh - I thought ASIO4ALL WAS the only version of Asio, but you're saying it's a mickey-mouse one. So where do I get the for-real one and is it expensive? I've tried GOOGLING where to buy it but I can't find a place that sells it.

Sorry for my ignorance. My old program, Quick Score Elite Level 2, just worked out of the box and I didn't have to know anything about ASIO or anything like that. I just used it! But there was a limit as to what VSTs it could use and I wanted to try posher ones. Hence Cubase. And the Cubase manual is one of those retrospect jobs. If you know it all already, it's obvious what it's talking about. If you DON'T, the thing's written in Sanskrit!

Yours puzzledly

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:51 am

Right, https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/na ... dio-6-mkii

That ^ is an Audio Interface Chris and one of the best for its money IMHO (I have a Mk1)

You do HAVE an interface, it is just the one built into the soundcard. I am not sure if you can divorce Wave Table from that and I don't have an XP machine to try as yet but might soon.

There is also the possibility that Cubase will not use the On Board Sound and seeks a more 'professional interface such as a PCI card, e.g. the M-Audio 2496 which I also have but running Win 7. Was ok with XP though (and even 98 I think!) ASIO4ALL is sort of sorting it I think but really have no clue.

I really hope someone vastly more knowledgeable than I will come in soon, meantime I will blow the dust out of this old cluncker and hope!
Pretty sure the KA6 works on XP!

Dave.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ulrichburke » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 am

Dear erf37a.

Total ignorant question - do I need a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 MkII
USB Audio Interface if I'm using VSTs only? Is it like a really posh soundcard (sorry I'm so ignorant, I've never had to know all this stuff before!)

if I do, I'll save up for it, too close to Christmas to buy it now.

I've actually GOT an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 floating around, just wasn't using it cos this is a Foxconn ADA mobo with PCIe slots so the card doesn't fit. VERY annoying confession to make - I've got a PCIe soundcard BUT it doesn't line up with the slot in the back of the cabinet. If you put the screws in to hold its sockets lined up with the slot, it can't reach the PCIe socket by about 8 millimetres. And I don't know whether to put the mobo on blocks/washers inside the cabinet (it's a tower) because if it's not flat against the side of the tower where it's supposed to b e (in theory!) it feels really floppy and I didn't want to learn the hard way that that wasn't such a good idea.

So with my old program I was just using the built-in IDT High Definition Audio Codec and it worked fine with QSE, it's just Cubase don't like it (or doesn't seem to.)

Dunno what else to say right now, so I'll sign off and hope you have a brainwave, I'm fresh out!

Yours respectfully, with thanks,

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 am

ASIO is a low-latency driver standard for hardware audio interfaces, which pretty much all audio software will look for. You are using the computer's built-in audio, which will not have an ASIO driver of its own. To get around this, someone came up with the idea of ASIO4ALL, which applies an 'ASIO lookalike' driver between audio software, such as Cubase, and audio devices (usually the built-in ones) that lack their own ASIO driver.

Unfortunately ASIO4ALL does nothing for the quality of built-in audio, which is usually inferior to a dedicated hardware interface, or for latency, which will be pretty laggy.

So a hardware interface should give you a step up in both audio input and output quality and latency, both of which will benefit your use of VST instruments.

That said, if you're happy with what you're getting right now there's no need to change - as long as you can fix your current problem!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ulrichburke » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:57 am

Dear Elf and everyone.

Thanks for all the help. Now I KNOW this is a totally dumbass question before I ask it, so feel free to snigger loudly.

So I've got this interface. I've plugged it into the USB socket of my machine. Does it just route the sounds through itself automagically(!)? I mean, it's a physical box, right? As I'm putting all the notes in with a mouse, and all the pictures of interfaces I can find are boxes with sockets in, what am I plugging into the box? The loudspeakers? Right now, they're plugged into a socket at the back of the tower. So is this interface taking over from the tower socket and do I plug the speakers into it? And do I tell Cubase to use it for its sound output (somehow, I'm guessing there's an installation program for it and options in the installation program) so the sound output comes out of Cubase, into the interface and from the interface to the speakers?

I'm KINDA beginning to wish I'd not got Cubase, right now - this is getting complicated! And because it's me, it's about to get more so. Y'see my old program, Quick Score Elite Level 2, has Rewire. I know how to use Rewire, but I've not tried it yet because, being Einstein, I've only just this second thought of this brilliant plan (prob. not!) If I Rewire QSE to Cubase, I'd be putting the notes into QSE (MIDI notation, it comes up just like a piece of manuscript paper, one stave per sound, so if the VST's multitimbral I could have - for example - 16 sounds going at once.) Thing IS - QSE's 32-bit. Cubase is 64-bit. But if the 64-bit VSTs were in Cubase, and QSE was just sending MIDI note output to them, would Cubase mind that QSE was only 32-bit and send the notes to the 64-bit VSTs anyway? And assuming it WAS happily sending the notes to the 64-bit VSTs, which would be handling the sound output (in all probability) - Cubase or QSE? I mean I've just given that idea a go without much luck but maybe that's just because I don't know enough? If it was QSE handling the sound output, it would send it to the IDT High Definition Audio Codec and happy days. If it was Cubase, would it be sending it to ASIO, in which case I'd still need to turn off the wavetable synth? Or if I had one of these interfaces, would that be getting the output and sending it to the speakers which would now be plugged into the interface that I don't have yet!

Sorry for all of this. I really didn't expect it to suddenly get this complicated. Mi brane urtz!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 pm

What is the interface?
If you are going to get one make sure it has MIDI ports.

No, interfaces need to be installed. Usually you run the drivers first then are prompted to plug in the USB, sometimes twice.

Update, old PC runs up but sticks at "Building DMI pool............Sucess will go no further.

I am amazed to find I have a copy disc for XP home but cannot remeber how to get into the BIOS to boot from op drive.

Oil be beck.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 pm

There's nothing wrong with Cubase, but I long since gave up trying to get Rewire to run properly. It was all very clunky. I don't know anyone else who still uses it.

Installing a new interface is not completely magic - as with any DAW, Cubase will need to be told which of its options it is going to use. You would choose ASIO and you would choose the audio interface's ASIO driver. Happily this is all very simple.

Trouble is, we're are going so far back into history here that I, for one, would be struggling to talk you through it! And if you *do* hit problems... :?

You would plug the output of your audio interface (should you get one) into the speakers. I suspect you have a stereo minijack going to your speakers, so you will need some sort of adapter to do this...

...and we are starting to dig a hole. So I'm still hoping you can fix the immediate problem without having to do much else.

I'll leave you with Dave. I can maybe advise on Cubase, but I haven't got a copy of Cubase anywhere close to that old, though I do have an XP machine still kicking around for various reasons.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Kwackman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:35 pm

ef37a wrote:If you are going to get one make sure it has MIDI ports..
Why does Chris need MIDI? He has no hardware, only software. Also, he stated..

ulrichburke wrote:All I ever do is put notes in place with a mouse, I have to use notation because I'm disabled and can't play anything.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:19 pm

Grrr! Found out how to get into the BIOS but could not shift the boot order. EEEEVENTUALLy found "Pge up/dwn selects. Great!

Put in XP and yes, doing different but then landed up at "Insert System Disc and press Enter"
Bah! Win XP disc is not it seems a system disc. Downloaded and burned something but no joy so far.

I have a lot of old IDE hard drives around so I shall work my way the=rough those. HYaving got this far, love to see the problem out!

Oh yes, MIDI ports: If an AI has them they come up in setup and I find that useful 'knowing' where things are (e.g. Cubase would find the KA6) They cost buggerall to fit. They allow the easy use of a lot of gear (there is a MIXER in the latest issue with MIDI DINs fcs!) especially cheap legacy stuff that could come your way. And, most of all..."Use it or lose it" Lot of kit is without now.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Let's ignore getting another audio interface for now and go back to basics...

Do you have a track with some notes on it going to a soft synth VST in Cubase? Do you see anything on the meters when you play that track?

Can you give us a screen grab of Cubase's audio settings window?

Can other programs play sounds on the same PC?

I'm still using XP for certain things and If you were using Reaper I could send you a working project file.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:57 am

Dear All.

Thanks for all your help. If I can work out right now how to put a screenshot in this, I will do, I've got one ready and waiting....

OK. I've put the image URL between the two pairs of 'img' in brackets - like bookends - so hopefully when I post this, the image will magically appear. I've never done this before so, if nothing happens when I post, I'll try again and apologise for the double-posting in advance.

All this business is shoooore increasing my computer knowledge! It's not helping me SOLVE anything - that's where you guys come in - but I know a LOT more now than I did a few days/weeks ago!!

Now let's see if the picture magically appears. It SHOULD be a screenshot of Cubase with the ASIO 'out' crossed out, asking me if I've got the Wavetable Synth activated, or anything else using the out. Apart from ordinary Windows sounds - the 'bleeps' when you click on the wrong thing sorta sounds, I've got nothing else aural going on there that I know of. Doesn't mean there ISN'T anything else going on - of course there must be - but not that I know of!

Here goes nuttin', as the squirrel said when it jumped out the aeroplane with a parachute on its back...

Yours respectfully - I'll try again if the picture doesn't show, I uploaded it to Google Photos and copied the URL by right-clicking on it and copying the link from there -

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:10 am

OK, so it's coming up 'this image failed to load'. Don't know why in the slightest. Trying a different format - the first one was a JPEG, this one's a PNG....

And I'm doing an 'Insert a URL' to see if that helps, same format, the PNG one, if two copies of the screenshot appear this time there's no difference between them, it's just you can't see if it's worked till AFTER you've posted it, it seems!

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNBb0O39c5UkgIvmsB-OrfO0tUX2k1kLecFCoib/photo/AF1QipOKV8n6xwZ8xYY9FQqdhJMqwZNa5yJ7h9H4I-cY

So here goes nuttin' try 2! It's STILL coming up 'image failed to load' in Preview, that's happened with the PNG AND the JPG, absolutely zero idea why. I'm going to test the URL in Preview now...

The URL click works in PREVIEW even if the image upload doesn't, leaving it in there incase it magically decides to work when I've posted this thing. Sorry I don't know more! Hope the URL click works when I've posted it.

Thanks for your patience, everyone. Posting this now!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:17 pm

Neither of those links work for me. You need to click on share in Google Photos (the lines with the circles on them) and then Create Link at the bottom of the box that appears. It will then come up with another dialog box where you can copy the link to the clipboard and then paste it in a post.

If you are using ASIO4All it might help to give us a screenshot of its control panel too.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Next