You are here

How do I turn off MS Wavetable Synth in XP?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: How do I turn off MS Wavetable Synth in XP?

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:52 pm

Dear James Perret et al.

Sorry I'm so bad at this stuff.

James, I've done what you said. I brought the picture up big, clicked on the circles-and-lines thing and got the 'create link' dialogue box come up, I didn't realise you had to do all that, I'd just copied the URL from the address bar, seemed logical! And I know it didn't work for you but it did/does for me - which is NOT me contradicting you, please don't take umbrage, I've no idea why it works for me and not for you. Don't have much idea of a lot of things, do I!

Anyway. The ASIO4ALL box is on top of the Cubase shot, I did it like that on purpose so you got both at once. Cubase is a bit of a mystery to me anyway, it's got windows hidden all over the place, tiny buttons that reveal BEEG hidden windows only if you know where the buttons are, sometimes it thinks you've got a twin screen setup (I haven't!) and puts something on a non-existent second screen....

Anyway, I'm doing the link as an image AND a URL share, then you can tell me if either work for you. Image share first....

And now as a URL share....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L4YFffSm7HkkZuLo7

I hope ONE of them works for you and thanks ever so much for your patience. I'm learning loads as I go along here!

Yours hopefully - yell at me if neither work AGAIN! -

Chris.

I have super moderator powers, so here's your image Chris - MW

This is what I mean about the Wavetable Synth.jpg
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Just tried them out. The picture version started off as saying IMAGE in red between 2 parallel lines and, when I clicked on it, it came up 'IMAGE FAILED TO LOAD.' Guess what - I have zero idea why (Surprised, huh? Me neither!)

The second one, the URL version, worked for me when I RIGHT-clicked on it and chose 'open in new window'. No idea why LEFT clicking didn't do anything, but for me the left button did total nada. Why can't they just make this site so you can drag'n'drop a picture into it, that's easy enough to do!

Yours respectfully, hoping one of them works for you (the image was a JPEG but the PNG version 'fails to load' too)

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 pm

If I right-click on either of your links and open in a new page they work for me.
Hopefully James will be able to help the core of your predicament now. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ulrichburke » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:22 pm

Dear Blinddrew.

I hope he can, too, cos I've been trying stuff all day on and off and I've had more luck on the horses!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:04 pm

The picture worked for me and it tells me that ASIO4All can't access the driver which means that something else is using the output. What synth are you using in Cubase? What other software do you have running at the same time?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ulrichburke » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:58 pm

Dear James.

Right then, I didn't have anything going in Cubase because the 'unavailable' thing came up straight off when I loaded Cubase so I just did a screenshot of it as it was.

Thing IS - in QSE I could have the Internet going (to listen to reference tracks) maybe Audacity going (to test out bounced-down versions) and QSE didn't mind in the slightest, it didn't even use ASIO, it just played back its midi notes through whatever VSTs you had loaded up. You could change VSTs whenever you wanted, to hear what the tune sounded like on different sounds AND have the reference track playing simultaneously if you wanted to. I'd heard of ASIO back then but I'd never used it, but QSE's only 32-bit - the makers never updated it for some reason - and I wanted to use new 64-bit VSTs (legal versions, promise, that's why I'm trying to get Cubase going!)

Now what the original Grand Scheme was, was this. QSE's got Rewire. As has Cubase, which is 64-bit. I was HOPING, as they're both in 64-bit Windows, I could Rewire QSE to Cubase, still put in notes into QSE (which I understand) and have them coming out via Cubase to the 64-bit VST (Komplete 12.) But I thought I'd try JUST using Cubase first to familiarise myself with it and that's when I started hitting this problem.

Are you saying - this is NOT meant to sound belligerent, I've got Asperger's, I'm always worried I'll come across as sounding belligerent when I don't mean to which I never do - that a posh program like Cubase can't handle other things playing sound around it while a cheap(er!) program like QSE doesn't mind what's going on around it at all (it just uses the IDT High Definition Audio Codec which Cubase doesn't seem able to find. If Cubase SHOULD be able to find it, yell at me how to make it find it and I'll do it, but I kept looking up things and they kept saying 'Use Asio' so I was trying to.

Stoopid last question - what's the difference between 'Asio4All' and 'true' Asio? How do I invoke 'true Asio'? Would that work better, however it's found?

Sorry I'm so ignorant, I feel a right idiot, it's just I've never hit this before cos I've always used QSE happily.

Thanks for everything so far

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 pm

Chris, there is a "switch" in Cubase that either allows it to take total control or to allow "other programs to run in background" (iirc)

That might solve you r problem but be warned, our experience was that Cubase does not like sharing!

This was however some time ago and I think a Pentium lll and no more than a gig of ram, maybe less. SSDs were science fiction!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:29 pm

In my experience Cubase likes to have everything its own way and, when I tried it, was buggy and unreliable. This was many many years ago and I've not bothered to try it since because there were plenty of other programs that worked better on the PC at the time from people like Cakewalk and Voyetra. I wasn't particularly impressed by Karl Steinberg's attitude to the problem either - he just told me that PC's were unreliable and that I shouldn't expect Cubase for PC to be reliable (despite having used PC's in the studio with no problems for years).

You can only use true ASIO if your audio interface comes with ASIO drivers. Very few built-in audio chips have ASIO drivers which is why you need ASIO4All.

I'd strongly suggest giving Reaper a try - the full version is available free for a certain period and it doesn't cost much for a licence. Even if you don't buy a licence it will carry on working but will just nag you about it when starting up. You can use the latest version with XP so you don't need to battle with ancient software.

The great thing about Reaper is that it will work with a variety of different driver models so, if ASIO isn't working, you can just use the standard Windows drivers. ASIO drivers tend to have lower latency but are limited to working with one program at a time. Since ASIO4All is just a wrapper around the standard Windows drivers, you'd be better off using software (like Reaper and probably QSE) that talks to Windows direct.
James Perrett

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:22 pm

Cubase was a bit of a bucking bronco back then it's true. It wasn't until V5 that things began to stabilise. But when it did it was solid.

I wonder if you're allocating ASIO4ALL to the program you're trying to re-wire? You can't do that. You have to let Cubase grab the ASIO driver and get the other programs to speak through Cubase.

You're choosing a difficult life for yourself here, though. Are you sure you wouldn't rather get up to date and have an easier time of it?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ulrichburke » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:26 pm

I'll try to answer all of you in turn....

Dear Elf.

Re. 'getting up to date'. I keep seeing ads. for things that do everything for you - MIDI packs, packs of loops you just drop in on timelines, packs that work out chord progressions for you..... I like thinking of my own tunes, not just using bits that someone else has thought up. I mean, that's like doing a collage, cutting bits of pictures out of magazines, sticking them all on a page and calling it your own artwork. OK you've designed it but the bits aren't yours, so is it really your own? And if you think of a tune, how else do you write it if not with notes (OK, Piano roll, but that's just as old as notes is, they were using piano rolls in bars in Klondike days!) I know Cubase has notation but it's awful. QSE lets you hear the notes AS you're putting them in AND it lets you see all the instruments at once, so you can put in notes for any instrument you want simultaneously. Cubase only lets you see one instrument at once so you're constantly changing between MIDI input lines which is just a real pain, mucks your train of thought up. Don't forget I can't play a keyboard, only got one hand really. The other one's slightly paralysed and doesn't really co-ordinate that well.

Dear James.

I just find Macs really overpriced for what you get, sorry. Every time I see one I think of all the PC power I could be getting for the same money. OK they've got Logic and a few other BEEG programs but once you're tied into the Mac universe you really become a cash cow, you're paying through the nose for EVERYTHING. I've got a PPC mac floating around somewhere - it's sorta the same age as my PC but it can't even handle the Internet any more - takes 4 minutes to open an E_mail, forget YouTube vids, it dies at the thought of them, you're on first name terms with spinning beachballs, you can't even play simple games on it that well anymore. And it cost LOADS more than my PC when I bought it. So why it's called a POWER PC Mac I've no idea! (It was on the same wired connection my PC used when my PC was being repaired for awhile, never been so glad to get my PC back again!)

Dear Elf.

It's just, like I said above, I can't physically play a keyboard that well cos my left hand doesn't work that well anymore (got Cerebral Palsy, it was never brilliant but it's gotten worse recently, my left hand!) So I liked QSE because you just slid a note about and dropped it on the stave when it was in the right place, then went onto the next one. But they never updated it to 64 bits for some reason, so I thought I'd try Rewiring it to Cubase or biting the bullet and using Cubase, which does have notation, which I actually understand.

I've had a look at Reaper. Again it's all piano roll really, the notation bit seems to be an afterthought more than anything else. There seems to be a 64-bit version of Reaper, no idea what the native notation in that's like but I'll give it a go if you think it's worth it. What I liked about QSE in itself was its simplicity and tiny memory footprint. I mean I was using Sonar for awhile but I simply couldn't get a big enough computer for it, it munched memory, processors and anything else it could find as between-meal snacks! So reluctantly Sonar had to go. QSE was running 32-bit stuff totally happily, then the world went 64-bit, QSE didn't, so I just thought if I Rewired it to Cubase, which I also had but had given up on, I'd be able to shove the 64-bit plugins in Cubase, Rewire it to QSE, write the music in QSE and do the mixing in Cubase as I went along.

This last sentence is NOT meant in any sarky way - I've got Asperger's, never sure how things sound. Anyway. If there's any 'up-to-date' ness I'm missing, which does not involve playing a keyboard or (hopefully!) using piano roll or loops on timelines, please tell me. I just wanted to do what Bach, Mozart and everyone else do a thousand times better than I ever will - think of a tune, put it on manuscript as blobs on sticks and hae the blobs played back by the appropriate sounds. Why is modern software all seemingly geared to making sure people never spend 10 minutes learning to read music.

That's all it takes. 10 minutes. I can teach anyone to read music in precisely 10 minutes, I have done that many times. I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of it.

So to end this to all of you - if you can think of an alternative, basically right-hand-only, up-to-date way of writing music on a computer that's not loop packs or pre-written MIDI chord progressions, tell me and I'll try it. Piano roll just bugs me because you're teasing out these little dashes with tiny mouse-drags. Why not just choose a 2-beat note or whatever and drop it on a stave line? You want to change note lengths? Select the notes and change all their lengths at once. That's how QSE does it.

Anyway, I'll sign off now but if anyone suggests anything I will try it. Just wanted to try out writing music on my 64-bit sounds was all and thought as QSE and Cubase were in the same environment, I could link them together and use the best of both worlds.

If that can't work, tell me what to try instead and I will. Just remember, left hand slightly paralysed!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:42 pm

:thumbup: No worries, mate. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I wouldn't feel right if I didn't ask the question.

I think some of your fears about modern DAWs are unfounded. If you get the chance, download some demos and give them a try some time. But for now... as you were.

I do hope you get this all sorted. :cry:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Perrett » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:58 pm

One thing that keeps confusing me. You mention 64 bits - yet also mention Windows XP. Are you trying to use the 64 bit version of Windows XP? If so, that could well be the problem as I understand it isn't supported by many programs and drivers.

While I can understand that you may not want to use Reaper long term, it is worth installing it as a tool to diagnose your problem since it can use all the different driver types and, according to the Reaper forum, has been known to work in XP 64.
James Perrett

Postby ulrichburke » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:37 am

Dear James.

I WAS trying to use the 64-bit version of XP as I knew QSE liked XP, Cubase liked 64-bit so using the 64-bit version of XP seemed a no-brainer. (awaits comments about some users having no brain in the first place....!!)

I DO know 32-bit software runs in a 64-bit environment, but not the other ways around. So surely there shouldn't be that much problem with drivers - if they're 32-bit, they're running in a 64-bit environment which 32-bit programs can do, no?

I HAVE found out ASIO4ALL likes to have everything to itself - I honestly didn't know this when I started this thread, fell over it by accident - so I can't use YouTube or Windows Media Player at the same time like I could with QSE when things were working right. One of the other guys says that modern DAWS aren't all like Fruity Loops - just dropping in loops on timelines. It's midnight here now but I'll have a look at Reaper in the morning, maybe that'll let me enter stuff and actually play it back again!

I miss just sitting down in front of QSE and writing a piece of music. I used to do one piece a day - haven't been able to write one in a couple of weeks now and getting withdrawal symptoms!

Thanks for everything you've done to help me so far.

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:05 am

ulrichburke wrote:I DO know 32-bit software runs in a 64-bit environment, but not the other ways around. So surely there shouldn't be that much problem with drivers - if they're 32-bit, they're running in a 64-bit environment which 32-bit programs can do, no?

32 bit drivers won't work in a 64 bit operating system as they access the operating system at a different level to applications. That's one of the reasons why I haven't bothered to update my studio computer as RME only offer 32 bit drivers for my interface. (I can't complain because the interface was designed in the last century so it is pretty amazing that it can still work with any current operating systems.)
James Perrett

Postby ulrichburke » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:05 am

Dear James.

That's really useful information, I honestly didn't know that. I'd always thought that ALL 32-bit software worked in a 64-bit environment, just not the other ways around, 64-bit doesn't work in 32-bit environments. I d no idea that didn't apply to drivers.

I'm shore learning loads trying to get this thing sorted, I tell you! Hokay. Question for you.

If I buy a soundcard, I don't know a lot about soundcards, do I have to check the soundcard ITSELF is 32-bit or 64-bit, or would that only apply to the drivers? By which I mean can I just buy any PCIe soundcard - all the sockets on my mobo are PCIe - or do I have to check the soundcard itself is 64-bit first?

Sorry for all of this. Am trying to get it sorted, believe me!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke
Regular

PreviousNext