You are here

iLok Driver-Windows 10 - Blue Screen of Death

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

iLok Driver-Windows 10 - Blue Screen of Death

Postby Fulcanelli » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:12 pm

Unaware of the issues with Windows and iLok, I just purchased a bundle that requires iLok. After installing the iLok software, rebooting, my computer went to BSOD and I was unable to reload Windows. I tried a few suggestions I found online but it was frozen. Now that I have my computer back from the shop - I'm leary/weary of trying again. I find no helpful information online that deals with iLok and the BSOD and that I can't load Windows.

Any suggestions?
Fulcanelli
New here

Re: iLok Driver-Windows 10 - Blue Screen of Death

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:31 pm

No idea, but I doubt that its a common issue, which may make it hard to fix. Never had it with my Windows computer and my iLok.

Have you contacted iLok directly, as they are best placed to help?

It could of course just be a coincidence that the iLok software and the BSOD happened at the same time, but I can understand your reticence to try again.

Is the rest of your PC fully up to date with drivers and BIOS firmware, and your hard drives and memory are all fully tested and working OK?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:56 pm

I have a both a physical ilok and software licensing in my mixing machine and haven't experienced any issue - all upgraded to the latest version.

However, I had an interesting hour last weekend with a driver suddenly going out of whack and Windows entering a BSOD cycle - first time ever with W10, but there's a first time for everything :-)

Used the Windows RE (was mightily impressed!) and dism to remove the offending driver - it was, of all things, the fancy gaming keyboard. In my case, since the driver had been there for a long time, removing the last update and using the restore point didn't help.. but if you make a restore point before installing a new software, it should. The Windows RE will kick in and allow you to get the system back to the restore point.

In the end my problem had nothing to do with the last updates (which I reinstalled immediately after fixing the problem) and I have no idea why it happened, but it's surely something to do with my specific system (maybe a glitch in the RAM, maybe an SSD malfunction).. we shall see.

So I would just make a restore point and retry. Maybe talk with the shop for support as well, in case.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Fulcanelli » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:36 pm

I contacted iLok and this is the response:

"The tpkd.sys driver is a very, very old legacy driver of ours. Support for this driver is no longer available, as it has not been actively developed for some time.

If this driver is being installed as part of a product's installation, please contact the software developer of that product to request an updated version that no longer uses our legacy driver.

If use of our legacy driver is required, you may not want to upgrade to the latest versions of Windows 10 which causes this behavior. You may also want to considering using a previous version of Windows that is not 10.

Finally, understand that the software publishers are the only ones capable of licensing their products. We at PACE merely build the infrastructure for the software publishers to distribute their products in the way that is consistent with their licensing terms.

Best Regards,
Katie Bosserman
iLok.com Technical Support"
Fulcanelli
New here

Postby Fulcanelli » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:29 pm

I contacted EastWest and am awaiting their response. Are there other ways besides using an iLok USB dongle to register and access the virtual instrument of which I purchased a license to use? I can't imagine that EastWest would not make their software available to Windows 10 users.
Fulcanelli
New here

Postby CS70 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:44 pm

Which library?

I just bought EastWest's Hollywood Backup Singers and been testing it extensively without any issue. But that library's pretty new so maybe it doesn't count...
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Fulcanelli » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm

I really don't know what to do. I posted the response I got from iLok and heard from EastWest yesterday, informing me that there is no problem and that thousands of people use iLok. It doesn't seem out of the question that there are issues with all the recent updating by Windows. Does anybody have any guesses about the cause of the conflict? My problem is with setting up an iLok account, the licensing software. The USB item is still in the package.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Fulcanelli
New here

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:33 pm

Have you asked East West if that tpkd.sys driver is being installed by the software you’ve got from them? If it is, then they are definitely in the wrong.

Otherwise I’d try doing it the other way round. Do Remove all the EW software and iLok software, deleting the tpkd.sys driver if it’s still there. Create a system restore point. Then install the latest iLok software from their web site and fit the iLok dongle. Then install the EW software. Hopefully it will see the iLoc software in place so won’t try to replace anything.

Maybe you’ve already done that, but it sounded more like the EW software went on first, then the iLok.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:50 pm

I found EastWest to be extremely helpful when I reinstalled a product of theirs that I'd bought 12 years previously. They sent me a link to an updated installer, gave instructions on transferring the licence from an iLok hardware key to a software version and informed me I didn't need the hardware key or the DVDs in the installation package any more as the whole thing was now installed via online download.

It all went very smoothly and they got me up and running in no time, so hopefully they'll be able to do the same for in this case!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby evileye » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:05 pm

The issue is a VERY old legacy driver for iLok. This driver does not work with Windows 10 later than version 1909. If software relies on this older version of iLok, you need to get the software vendor to update their software to use a newer version of iLok.

If the vendor supports a newer version of iLok, install that first.

I just ran into this issue with some old software that I'll apparently have to leave behind :thumbdown: now that I'm upgrading to Win10.
evileye