You are here

How can I limit Adobe Creative Cloud intrusiveness?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

How can I limit Adobe Creative Cloud intrusiveness?

Postby portthames » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:47 am

I want to install CC with my DAW, (partitions haven't worked yet with my current setup) can someone tell me of some workarounds to limit or block CC's background processes when I'm not even using it.

Windows 10

Thanks in advance.
portthames
Poster

Re: How can I limit Adobe Creative Cloud intrusiveness?

Postby wireman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Evans Forster wrote:I want to install CC with my DAW, (partitions haven't worked yet with my current setup) can someone tell me of some workarounds to limit or block CC's background processes when I'm not even using it.

Windows 10

Thanks in advance.

You are paying Adobe a lot of money, have you asked them?
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby portthames » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:24 pm

wireman wrote:
Evans Forster wrote:I want to install CC with my DAW, (partitions haven't worked yet with my current setup) can someone tell me of some workarounds to limit or block CC's background processes when I'm not even using it.

Windows 10

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, but you came here just to say that? ;)
portthames
Poster

Postby fruitcake » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:36 pm

I have a 2010 Mac Pro so I can't speak to how Windows functions. I have Adobe CC installed and have not noticed any issues affecting my DAW (MOTU DP).
fruitcake
Regular
Here are some Unfinished Sounds

Postby wireman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:42 pm

Evans Forster wrote:
wireman wrote:

Yes, because there may be supported mechanisms in the software to disable some activity, for example fast start, update checks, check for media insertion. You didn't say what the actual problem (if any) was that you wanted a workaround for, do these processes have some impact.
It would also be useful to know if these processes start without you starting up a CC application and what the processes are named.

You can usually disable service and application startup but that is risky without knowing how the application works. I'm using pre-CC versions of Adobe software so can't give specific advice based on my system.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:47 am

Evans Forster wrote:
wireman wrote:

Windows 10

Thanks in advance.

It is a valid response to your question. Have you?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:27 pm

Windows 10

Thanks in advance.

For most programs, there's a couple things to look for: a traybar application starting at login, which can usually be disabled fromt the application itself (or from the "Startup Apps" panel in Windows 10); and services that are set to "automatic" (and can be set to "manual" if one wants, but then you have to remember to start them.. or "disabled" in which case they won't start at all unless changed back).. to change the status, simply type "Services" in the run textbox in the start menu (or go to Control Panel and find Services from there), order by name and check.

In some cases, software installs itself as a kernel-level device - you check Device Manager and simply disable it from there. As usual, you may need to re-enable it when you want to work with the software. But I doubt CC does that.

There are a few other ways to keep things running under Windows but 99% of the software uses the first and occasionally the second.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby portthames » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:16 pm

CS70 wrote:

Windows 10

Thanks in advance.

For most programs, there's a couple things to look for: a traybar application starting at login, which can usually be disabled fromt the application itself (or from the "Startup Apps" panel in Windows 10); and services that are set to "automatic" (and can be set to "manual" if one wants, but then you have to remember to start them.. or "disabled" in which case they won't start at all unless changed back).. to change the status, simply type "Services" in the run textbox in the start menu (or go to Control Panel and find Services from there), order by name and check.

In some cases, software installs itself as a kernel-level device - you check Device Manager and simply disable it from there. As usual, you may need to re-enable it when you want to work with the software. But I doubt CC does that.

There are a few other ways to keep things running under Windows but 99% of the software uses the first and occasionally the second.

Many thanks CS70.

Appreciate that helpful reply.
portthames
Poster