You are here

Compile a 32bit version of the open source VST synth Odin II

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Compile a 32bit version of the open source VST synth Odin II

Postby DonGoliath » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:02 pm

so i tested it on my win xp 32bit OS but the vst3 wont get recognized by my DAW. but thx again for having tried/compiled!
DonGoliath
Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:46 pm

Which DAW are you using...?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:00 pm

DonGoliath wrote:so i tested it on my win xp 32bit OS but the vst3 wont get recognized by my DAW. but thx again for having tried/compiled!

Unfortunately I don't have a 32 bit system to try it on. But as BJG says, which DAW are you using? I tried the standalone in Windows XP Sp3 compatibility mode and it launched (I don't have midi sources attached to my pc so can't really play it without rigging up stuff.. and I need to make a tiramisu soon :lol:)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DonGoliath » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:06 pm

cubase 5. i didnt try the standalone since i d like to use it as a plugin. there also was the option to compile it as vst2 i reckon. would u be willing to give that a try as well, CS70? i think it must have to do with the vst3 architecture and am confident vst2 would work. pls lemme know. ps: and when ur at it compile me some of that tiramisu as well :)
DonGoliath
Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:35 pm

Compiling as VST2 Plugin (All Platforms)

VST2 is no longer licensed by Steinberg. You will need to find the VST2 SDK on the internet yourself. Once you have it, open Odin.jucer with the Projucer again. Navigate to File -> Global Paths... and under VST (Legacy) SDK insert the path to the VST2_SDK folder. Close the window and hit the gear-icon on the top left of the Projucer interface. Under Plugin Formats enable VST (Legacy). Press Ctrl + S and build the project again as described above.

IMPORTANT: Steinbergs licencing prohibits you from distributing any VST2 plugins, unless you've been a registered developer with them since 2018.

C'mon CS70, get to it. :D

(While you're waiting for him to establish 'registered developer' status, I guess you could see if this works in a free VST3 host like Cantabile. If so then you could use a free virtual MIDI cable utility like LoopBe as a workaround. No-one said it was going to be easy...)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi it'd be no problem but the source tree I have doesn't have a VST2 target at a glance.
Give a try to the standalone and see where you get :)

Tiramisu is in the fridge! :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:46 pm

Actually interesting to see JUCE at work - I have a few plugins I've made but I can never be bothered to make a decent UI for them. If the market wasn't saturated it could be a good way to release some.
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby DonGoliath » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:50 pm

there s a § on this on the github page:

"Compiling as VST2 Plugin (All Platforms)
VST2 is no longer licensed by Steinberg. You will need to find the VST2 SDK on the internet yourself. Once you have it, open Odin.jucer with the Projucer again. Navigate to File -> Global Paths... and under VST (Legacy) SDK insert the path to the VST2_SDK folder. Close the window and hit the gear-icon on the top left of the Projucer interface. Under Plugin Formats enable VST (Legacy). Press Ctrl + S and build the project again as described above.

IMPORTANT: Steinbergs licencing prohibits you from distributing any VST2 plugins, unless you've been a registered developer with them since 2018."

could u still do it this way? though i m not sure steiny will have the russian mafia strangle u in ur sleep if u do so! :)
DonGoliath
Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:53 pm

I looked into using JUCE some years ago when I was exploring plugin development, but the licensing terms were too prohibitive at the time, so I went for iPlug instead.

However, JUCE's licensing terms have changed in the meantime, meaning that not only can you use it to create free products, but you can also use it for commercial use up to certain limits, without having to buy a full license - which makes it much more suitable for developing some cool stuff, putting it out there, and seeing if you can make some money back. And it's certainly a pretty fantastic library and environment - which is why so many companies use it (it's probably used for something like half of all commercial plugins these days).
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:04 pm

Yeah, I'd go for it if there were any money.. but honestly I think the market is too saturated. You can get lucky and get some hype, but it's the same "business" model as music - essentially random. Also the reasons are similar: I make music, and there's absolutely nothing I cannot do with the kit I have or the one I can potentially purchase. Having more drills won't help me make more holes..

Something that I've been interested in for a while are phone apps - there is a market there and way more possibilities to make some more money. It's also surprisingly simple stuff, for the most part - it really reminds me of my early days making games and demos on the ZX81, Spectrum and MS-DOS PCs... the plus is that you use C/C++ and not Z80 assembly, so it's far easier. The only bugger is that for iOS development you need a Mac, and I don't have one. Was using Corona for a while with Lua and it was ok, but it's shut down now. The problem is the usual of most people our age - I have easier and safer way of making money already..
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:10 pm

CS70 wrote:The problem is the usual of most people our age - I have easier and safer way of making money already.

Huh? Speak for yourself.

Hand me another beer and that JUCE manual... :ugeek:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:12 pm

Easier and safer yes, but also waaaay more boring! :D
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby wireman » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:23 pm

The trouble with software development now is that it moves so fast. A long time ago I wrote a couple of apps for mobile phones (a scrollable map app (think tube map) was one.). But J2ME is long gone...
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:32 pm

CS70 wrote:Yeah, I'd go for it if there were any money.. but honestly I think the market is too saturated.

It is, for the most part. The trick is finding a unique little niche that no-one else is filling - but even then, because the market is so saturated, you have to be sure of it's appeal to folks as many people just aren't needing to invest in more plugins for the most part - hence all the sales, which pull on the "I quite fancy that and it's cheap" string, rather than the "This is a vital tool I need and don't have an alternative for" one.

CS70 wrote:Something that I've been interested in for a while are phone apps - there is a market there and way more possibilities to make some more money.

Yes... but also the market is so saturated, and even less people are willing to buy phone apps for money - everyone expects these things to be free now, and almost nobody these days buys an app for even a few pounds to try it out. So while the potential market is much much bigger, the odds of getting found are small and even if so, the chances of getting money out of people is a small fraction of that too - so it's also a lot more difficult these days to make money in the mobile space compared to a decade ago.

Again - unique niches for a specific audience who will pay is probably the way to go, if you can find such a thing, or otherwise treat it as marketing for some other related revenue stream of the back of it...

For me, I usually start with an idea for something I want myself, that isn't being satisfied by the market, and start prototyping something up. If it has legs, then I might start to think about it as a product, develop it in that direction and see where that goes...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:47 pm

desmond wrote:
CS70 wrote:Something that I've been interested in for a while are phone apps - there is a market there and way more possibilities to make some more money.

Yes... but also the market is so saturated, and even less people are willing to buy phone apps for money - everyone expects these things to be free now, and almost nobody these days buys an app for even a few pounds to try it out. So while the potential market is much much bigger, the odds of getting found are small and even if so, the chances of getting money out of people is a small fraction of that too - so it's also a lot more difficult these days to make money in the mobile space compared to a decade ago.

Again - unique niches for a specific audience who will pay is probably the way to go, if you can find such a thing, or otherwise treat it as marketing for some other related revenue stream of the back of it...

For me, I usually start with an idea for something I want myself, that isn't being satisfied by the market, and start prototyping something up. If it has legs, then I might start to think about it as a product, develop it in that direction and see where that goes...

Yeah, I generally agree, though I think there's a difference between plugins and phone apps. The former are bought by people who - to a degree - knows a little what they are doing (possibly just how to put a plugin on a track in a DAW, but that's not zero).. while the latter tend to be much more driven by truly random purchases, where even the specific application is not really known or defined beforehand. And I think there _are_ niche markets which can generate reasonable revenues... but as with any business, it's not a walk in the park and it requires focus and attention, so nothing to do just with the left hand, so to say...
CS70
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext