You are here

Compile a 32bit version of the open source VST synth Odin II

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Compile a 32bit version of the open source VST synth Odin II

Postby BJG145 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:35 pm

Hey CS70, something I posted earlier and deleted is that the kind of people who compile their own open-source VSTs off Github never use Windows. Whenever I've felt the need to dabble in these areas I've always resorted to Debian or something, despite being a Linux newbie...this stuff all seems more difficult in Windows. So, I don't know if this plugin of yours works or not, maybe I'll try it sometime, but I'm thinking it probably does, and anyway I'm impressed that you compiled it at all. ;) :clap:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:42 pm

BJG145 wrote:Hey CS70, something I posted earlier and deleted is that the kind of people who compile their own open-source VSTs off Github never use Windows. Whenever I've felt the need to dabble in these areas I've always resorted to Debian or something, despite being a Linux newbie...this stuff all seems more difficult in Windows. So, I don't know if this plugin of yours works or not, maybe I'll try it sometime, but I'm thinking it probably does, and anyway I'm impressed that you compiled it at all. ;) :clap:

Ahah my friend, that's the posers of today in IT. It's the equivalent of audio people who think that the mic you use makes a bigger difference than who's singing into it.

I've been using Unixes since the early 90s - my first was HP-UX on an Apollo machine, and compiled Linux (version 1.1.3 I think) and first thing I did was to make a couple drivers for it since, well, there weren't any for my Diablo inkjet printer and the graphic card I had.

I would take a well setup windows machine for development (and Visual Studio) over vi anytime of the day, and stuff like emacs is just a relic of an old age to me. It's like using a 50s car because it's cool - but give me my 208 GTI any time of the day and I will run circles around any. :D

I do miss proper piping and small commands when I need to operate machines, but not when programming. I have a fondness for the old Turbo C environment under MS DOS, but then I didn't have to do anything graphics with it...

Happy new year!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby BJG145 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:27 pm

...oh, and here's a showcase for your .exe. Works a treat.

You need to do something about that preset bank though... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EieYIYM ... e=youtu.be
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby TheWaveWarden » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:25 pm

Hi Odin dev here,

Just run the x64 installer, the 32Bit version will find the preset library in the correct location then.

I am not sure Odin will run on WinXP, JUCE itself states Win Vista as minimum if I recall right.
TheWaveWarden

Postby BJG145 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:27 pm

(...cheers for the info, welcome to the forum. :thumbup: )
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Previous