You are here

New Gamer Laptop, Cubase Mixdown/interference issues

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

New Gamer Laptop, Cubase Mixdown/interference issues

Postby OldManWillow » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:37 am

Hey! First time posting, first time being so absolutely frustrated and not knowing what to do but I hope to become an active forum member over time.

SO I recently bought an ROG Strix gaming laptop specifically for recording. It's got 16 gigs ram, core i7 processor, 1 Tb Hhd and a ssd, by all means should be able to handle what I'm doing.

Im recording with cubase elements 10.5, through a focusrite scarlett18i20. It's been working fine until recently, putting the final touches on a track. When I go to playback it drops random tracks from my speakers, even though it shows on the mixer that it is still making sound. There is also intermittent static that appears for a few seconds then goes away, whether I'm playing anything or not. When I go back to the part that it dropped tracks, usually it plays them again just fine for a few bars.
Unfortunately this carries over to the mixdown as well, and always happens at random. All my CPU tests show the system is working fine, and I'm nowhere near at the processing capacity for the laptop.

I'm absolutely at a loss, I've removed all the gaming associated apps, made sure there is no battery saver or limitations on CPU to prevent full working function and only run cubase while Im working know projects. Any thoughts or tips? I dont know what to do..

Thanks, SOS folks!
OldManWillow
New here

Re: New Gamer Laptop, Cubase Mixdown/interference issues

Postby OldManWillow » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:22 am

Sorry, I meant final touches on a project* I realize the two arent interchangeable. Theres only 17 tracks, and they're all run through busses to keep the plugin load at a minimum.
OldManWillow
New here

Postby CS70 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:04 am

It is a laptop, so it likely comes out of the factory configured to save power. Have you reconfigured it to be 100% on all the time?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby OldManWillow » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:57 pm

CS70 wrote:It is a laptop, so it likely comes out of the factory configured to save power. Have you reconfigured it to be 100% on all the time?

Yeah that's the first thing I did. Just turned off the virus scan and all automated processes I could find as well. It's not connected to internet.
OldManWillow
New here

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 am

It may be a more involved than that, so just to make sure:

- Power management plan of course at "high performance", no disks stop, no nothing
- All devices in device manager (USB root hubs but also storage connected with USB) which have a "allow the operationg system to manage the power of this device" must be unticked
- All cores active all the time - you can use the ParkControl utility to do that
- In the BIOS, disable everything that is related to power management and throttling (C-states, check what the various "Turbo" settings of the motherboard, if any, do etc)
- If there is an integrated sound card, and/or a virtual audio device that comes with the video driver (NVidia is notorious for that), disable them in device manager
- Obviously as you say remove any taskbar program and less useful services
- If you dont use the network, disable the network cards in Device Manager, it's not enough ti disconnect from the internet. Some laptops have a physical button to do just that.

Also, An SSD is much better than a HDD for real-time processing so have all recording happen to a directory on that one. Make sure you use the ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive driver that comes with the interface (emphatically not Asio4All).

All that you mention seem classic symptoms of buffer overruns. Obviously check your driver's buffer size, and increase it if necessary. For playback, the buffer size can be as big as you want as the only effect is to wait a few millisecs more when you push "play".
CS70
Jedi Poster

Postby OldManWillow » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:36 am

Yes! I went through your list and did everything. I'm still getting wierd feedback static through the percussion bus but at least it isnt dropping tracks anymore. I'm not sure what that's about. But then you! Major improvement for sure.
OldManWillow
New here

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Are you using automation? Sometimes with Cubase it doesn't register if you start playback in between start and end automation points. I think you can change it in preferences.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Obesity. Ask not for whom the belt holes? 

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:51 pm

Have you tried running Latencymon? That showed me that I had to switch off Wifi if I wanted consistent low latency. Fortunately this laptop has a handy physical switch for Wifi.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:50 pm

OldManWillow wrote:Yes! I went through your list and did everything. I'm still getting wierd feedback static through the percussion bus but at least it isnt dropping tracks anymore. I'm not sure what that's about. But then you! Major improvement for sure.

Hm.. what do you mean with "feedback static"? Noise?

In that case you might have a ground loop involving the laptop and the audio interface - check out Hugh's article at https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... earth-loop for example. You could try to disconnect the laptop from the mains for a minute and have only the interface plugged it, and see if it helps.
CS70
Jedi Poster