You are here

Sonarworks Systemwide, ASIO drivers: what´s the right setup?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sonarworks Systemwide, ASIO drivers: what´s the right setup?

Postby manwilde » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:02 pm

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of low mids (say 300Hz-500Hz, but many times deeper, as well) that I have to take out my mixes... to make them sound brittle afterwards! :crazy:
manwilde
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:10 pm

A trick I employ is that, once I have a balance and timbres that start to excite me, I bounce the mix instead of listening in the DAW. The 20-30 seconds that it takes to print the mix (and during which I do other stuff, such as reading the SOS forum) kinda reset my ears, so that when I open the song in the music player (as opposite to the DAW) that kind of stuff becomes obvious. In a way, it brings me to listen as a normal listener, as opposite to someone building a mix.

Then of course there's the last line of defense, the mastering engineer.

Long time ago I wrote in the forum how it would be cool to listen to each other mixes (in private, as opposite to SC or so, as they can be commercial mixes) just to have access to trusted and different pair of ears. :)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby manwilde » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:25 pm

I do that a lot too... listening on a media player , "as a listener", makes me more often than not grab the eq and take down those 125s, 250s, 350s... and ask myself what was I listening to when mixing... :? (oh, and below 50Hz also, but that´s subject for another thread, the hi-passing conundrum...)
manwilde
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:29 pm

manwilde wrote:@Martin: So, you use WASAPI for everything but Reaper, and run Reaper under ASIO, both things at the same time?. Excuse my ignorance...

Yes, exactly that.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby manwilde » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:58 pm

Thanks, Martin. So, what are the advantages in doing so?.
I´m asking because when I create a preset on my modeling guitar amplifier, the only way I have right now to listen to it with the Sonarworks correction is using input monitoring in Reaper. That´s all good if I´m on a blank or simple project, as I can lower my buffer size and monitor my tweaks on the amp with almost no latency, but that´s not an option if I want to add a new guitar track on a more complex project. Besides, if I monitor my amp through Totalmix the calibration is not applied (I understand that Totalmix is "direct monitoring", on a proccess all by itself and aside from Windows).

Would the use of WASAPI allow me to somehow work around this issue?.

Thanks a lot.
manwilde
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:07 pm

Hi manwilde!

For me, the advantages of using Sonarworks ASIO inside Reaper, but Sonarworks WASPI for the systemwide utility are as follows:

I can leave a Reaper project running while I:

a) jump into Wavelab to edit some Reaper audio
b) launch foobar2000 to compare what I'm doing in Reaper with one of my CD of digital downloads.
c) Keep my browser open and reference YouTube audio (sometimes for instance I may have an idea that what I'm working that I want to compare with something else on line).
d) Launch Resonic Pro Beta to quickly search through my hard drives and audition suitable audio material for something I'm working on in Reaper.

Disadvantages are that of course WASAPI is a 'shared' format and so generally not bit-for-bit accurate, but there are ways round that if you're careful. For instance, in foobar2000 I choose the WASAPI (event) driver, which like ASIO is bit-accurate, and I can certainly hear the difference.

And to answer your specific query, yes, RME's TotalMix is a utility that interfaces directly with your RME audio interface, so it comes after Sonarworks, and therefore record monitoring from within TotalMix won't get Sonarworks compensated.

I don't find this much of a problem though, as I generally use Totalmix to audition what's coming in and about to be recorded, and to adjust the gain on the relevant TotalMix channel to give me a suitable input level. As soon as I've got my routing OK in Reaper I switch to monitoring the input signal through that and Mute TotalMix monitoring, remembering first to switch Sonarworks ASIO from its mixed filter to zero latency, and temporarily disabling any plug-ins on the channel being recorded that have any latency of their own. This means I can monitor at close to zero latency within Reaper.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous