You are here

Running windows based system with two audio interfaces ?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Running windows based system with two audio interfaces ?

Postby Scouser » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:49 pm

I just wondered if it is possible to have two soundcards installed on a windows based system running cubase 11 ?

Reason is I always have my basic interface connected ( Edirol UA25EX ) have recently purchased sound devices Mix Pre3M which I sometime use as a recorder away from the PC in a stand alone setting, but just wondered if it would cause lots of problems for me to have both installed, as the Mix Pre is far superior to the Edirol.

Would also be interested in hearing from anyone using a Mix Pre with Cubase as this is something I haven't yet tried ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Re: Running windows based system with two audio interfaces ?

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm

In a word, 'yes'. :)

I currently have one Audio Interface feeding my monitor controller and speakers and a different make/model that I use on those occasions when I want to get audio direct into the computer.

It's all about setting things up in the Windows Settings.

(Written by someone who asked the same question himself a few weeks ago!) :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:36 pm

As Mike says, it's perfectly possible to employ two (or more interfaces) within Windows. In my halcyon days of reviewing audio interfaces for SOS I sometimes had up to four interfaces being compared.

What it's not possible to do is run two audio interfaces with ASIO drivers from the same audio application e.g. Cubase, UNLESS THEY ARE BOTH FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER WHOSE DRIVERS SUPPORT MULTIPLE MODELS IN THIS WAY.

So if Scouser is hoping to run his Edirol UA25EX and Sound Devices Mix Pre3M together, there's no problem if each is running from a different audio application, but he WON'T be able to run both AT THE SAME TIME within Cubase 11.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Scouser » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:08 pm

Thanks Martin, much appreciated.

So as long as I choose one or the other that's ok ? I'm guessing that's what you are saying.

With regards to windows set up, how should that look ? Just not sure if I have to set whichever I am going to be using to default, or, whether that matters, essentially, up until this point I have been using Edirol exclusively for cubase, what I would like to do is start doing is use the Mix Pre to record audio, as it's much better quality.

Any suggestions
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 pm

Easy-peasy with Samplitude. I have a W7 PC with Pro X 3 on it and an M-A2496 card inside but the main AI is the NI KA6. I just put up the Samplitude control menu, select ASIO drivers and select the interface I want from the drop down list.

I have a 'lite' version of Cubase but have not used it for years. I did not have that setup then but I would bet the setup in Cubase would be a bit more of a faff?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:27 pm

Scouser wrote:Thanks Martin, much appreciated.

So as long as I choose one or the other that's ok ?

Yes.

With regards to windows set up, how should that look ? Just not sure if I have to set whichever I am going to be using to default, or, whether that matters, essentially, up until this point I have been using Edirol exclusively for cubase, what I would like to do is start doing is use the Mix Pre to record audio, as it's much better quality.

Any suggestions

The one you use as Windows default is going to be, most likely, the one with which you have your main monitors attached.

If you use the Mixpre for recording, you can surely set it as a default in Cubase, and monitor thru headphones instead of speakers.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:37 pm

ef37a wrote:I have a 'lite' version of Cubase but have not used it for years. I did not have that setup then but I would bet the setup in Cubase would be a bit more of a faff?
Nah! It's just as easy-peasy. Go into 'Studio Setup...' and select the interface you want from the drop-down - done!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:35 pm

The Elf wrote:
ef37a wrote:I have a 'lite' version of Cubase but have not used it for years. I did not have that setup then but I would bet the setup in Cubase would be a bit more of a faff?
Nah! It's just as easy-peasy. Go into 'Studio Setup...' and select the interface you want from the drop-down - done!

Is it? Ok, I bow to your knowledge Elf. I have recollections of faffing around setting up 'buses'?

WRT which AI feeds the monitors? A modest passive monitor controller would sort that.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 pm

ef37a wrote:
The Elf wrote:

Is it? Ok, I bow to your knowledge Elf. I have recollections of faffing around setting up 'buses'?
Well, you can't avoid having to route audio to the outputs you want to use. That's just basic DAW protocol.

Setting up busses and routing is the work of two or three mouse clicks - not onerous.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:40 am

"
Setting up busses and routing is the work of two or three mouse clicks - not onerous."

Ah. That's it then E. When I select an AI in Sam it defaults track one (stereo) to inputs 1/2 and outputs 1/2.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster