You are here

Failed W10 update

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Failed W10 update

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:21 am

Fired uo my Lenovo T510 yesterday and it would not boot. After 30 secs or so I got "Windows updating do not turn computer off"

"OK" thinks I, "lest's see what sort of **** will result this time!" But, after some time win said it could not instal the updates and was "undoing changes". Bloody didn't! I now cannot use a Blutooth device for sound. Says it is paired and connected but will not show in the Sound Devices page. Did day before.

I now have to wonder what further changes have been made under the hood. Is a Restiore to a week ago likely to fix it?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Failed W10 update

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:13 pm

ef37a wrote:I now have to wonder what further changes have been made under the hood. Is a Restiore to a week ago likely to fix it?
It is if you have an image copy./ If you're expecting 'Windows Restore' to do it... abandon all hope.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:31 pm

The Elf wrote:
ef37a wrote:I now have to wonder what further changes have been made under the hood. Is a Restiore to a week ago likely to fix it?
It is if you have an image copy./ If you're expecting 'Windows Restore' to do it... abandon all hope.

Pretty sure I did not do an image for this machine. Would the Recovery partition sort it out?
Not all that fussed really, just a B nuisance Bluetooth has been borked and I might find a fix for that anyway.
BTW I have same problem with a W7 laptop, pairs the Ugreen device but just will not use it as a playback device.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:48 pm

ef37a wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Pretty sure I did not do an image for this machine. Would the Recovery partition sort it out?
Different manufacturers have very different ideas of a 'Recovery Partition', from simply replacing system files (i.e. just does what windows Restore would do) to an entire 'Day One' image copy.

This is why I image copy my machines on a monthly basis - at worst you're only going back a few weeks, but at least it's to a recent working system with everything intact at that point. Once you're up and running I would strongly suggest you adopt a similar approach.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:05 pm

ef37a wrote:Fired uo my Lenovo T510 yesterday and it would not boot. After 30 secs or so I got "Windows updating do not turn computer off"

"OK" thinks I, "lest's see what sort of **** will result this time!" But, after some time win said it could not instal the updates and was "undoing changes". Bloody didn't! I now cannot use a Blutooth device for sound. Says it is paired and connected but will not show in the Sound Devices page. Did day before.

I now have to wonder what further changes have been made under the hood. Is a Restiore to a week ago likely to fix it?

Dave.

I have had instances where cannot restore comes up, System Restore is a poor dependence, as mentioned, get in the habit of imaging, and back up data too. I use Macrium, there’s a free version that is really reliable. I used to use Acronis TrueImage but when I went over to Win10 all those years ago, it let me down. There are some tools available that attempt to fix system restore points that have gone wonky
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:11 am

So, I have just 2 hours ago found the laptop will not "Caste to a device" the option is no longer shown although it was two months agao when I still had my smart JVC TV. Investigation eventually got me "Miracast is not supported on the computer" IN RED! Oh! How DARE I expect such a thing? Bloody was before your failed up date Microsoft!

Now that both BT and Miracast are screwed I decided to do a Restore. Hide it well don't they? Really want you to do a Recovery, never done it, don't know it.

Took over 35 minutes before I could log back in and the machine re started three times. And sure, it has "Restored". Not fixed Jack mind.

I have never done an image or restored from one but there seems little point until I can get the lost functions back?

Dave
ef37a
Jedi Poster