You are here

Cubase Win10 Sleep vs Hibernation

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Cubase Win10 Sleep vs Hibernation

Postby OneWorld » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:48 am

I have taken to putting my Music PC into Sleep mode when not using it for an hour or so. But on coming out of Sleep Mode, Cubase remains frozen.

So I have been considering using Hibernation mode instead. However I have been reading up on the internet, I have read that both hibernation and sleep mode can 'screw up the PC big time'

Is that really the case?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Cubase Win10 Sleep vs Hibernation

Postby CS70 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:22 pm

Not really screw up, but cause problems - yes. What usually happens is that some driver may be buggy and not respond properly to the OS telling it the system has woken up. In turn, applications which wait for devices (aka drivers) to say "ready" will stay stuck.

Depending on how the driver is (badly) coded, it may simply ignore the wakeup and stay quiescent... in that case, for USB devices, plugging out and in again the device will essentially reload the driver so the device will work again and the applications waiting for it will wake up. But it may also simply try to pick up things from its previous state and, since its memory buffers have changed location, try to read or write data in areas of memory it can no longer access, either directly or because of handling an interrupt. Since a driver works in Kernel mode, the resulting segmentation, page or IRQ fault lead to a BSOD. In rare cases, the memory writing might occur in a place that is still "legal" for the driver to write in, but the value written is wrong - and this can lead to problems. Hence the horror stories.

With Windows 10, restore points and the recovery partition, this is much less of an issue.

Make a restore point. Try to hibernate and then woke up the pc. If all works well, you're fine. If you experience a BSOD, reboot and look at the event viewer or the dump to find which device caused the problem. See if there's updated drivers for that device or contact the manufacturer, or disable it if you can.

In the extremely rare case a system corruption has resulted (but it is really rare) and the system does not boot even in safe mode, the windows recovery process will allow you to restore from the restore point and/or repair/restore the standard image.

Keep in mind it's more likely that a system corruption happens as a consequence of a bad disk or bad ram etc. It's that rare. In a decade and more than a dozen computers, I've seen a buggy driver crash the system that badly once (and since it was W10, it was possible to disable the driver and restart the system with no problems).
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:37 pm

CS70 wrote:Not really screw up, but cause problems - yes. What usually happens is that some driver may be buggy and not respond properly to the OS telling it the system has woken up. In turn, applications which wait for devices (aka drivers) to say "ready" will stay stuck.

Depending on how the driver is (badly) coded, it may simply ignore the wakeup and stay quiescent... in that case, for USB devices, plugging out and in again the device will essentially reload the driver so the device will work again and the applications waiting for it will wake up. But it may also simply try to pick up things from its previous state and, since its memory buffers have changed location, try to read or write data in areas of memory it can no longer access, either directly or because of handling an interrupt. Since a driver works in Kernel mode, the resulting segmentation, page or IRQ fault lead to a BSOD. In rare cases, the memory writing might occur in a place that is still "legal" for the driver to write in, but the value written is wrong - and this can lead to problems. Hence the horror stories.

With Windows 10, restore points and the recovery partition, this is much less of an issue.

Make a restore point. Try to hibernate and then woke up the pc. If all works well, you're fine. If you experience a BSOD, reboot and look at the event viewer or the dump to find which device caused the problem. See if there's updated drivers for that device or contact the manufacturer, or disable it if you can.

In the extremely rare case a system corruption has resulted (but it is really rare) and the system does not boot even in safe mode, the windows recovery process will allow you to restore from the restore point and/or repair/restore the standard image.

Keep in mind it's more likely that a system corruption happens as a consequence of a bad disk or bad ram etc. It's that rare. In a decade and more than a dozen computers, I've seen a buggy driver crash the system that badly once (and since it was W10, it was possible to disable the driver and restart the system with no problems).

Thanks, I think it will be easier to just switch it off. The machine does come out of sleep mode, but the only application that is frozen is Cubase. So obviously it is something to do with Cubase. That said there are so many permutations, I have 4 controllers,, A MOX keyboard which can work as a VST, and Access Virus which can also work as a VST, then a few hardware synths and of course my DAW Interface. If I find I have absolutely nothing to do one day, I might go through the lot systematically, and unplug/sleep/restart

I might try Hibernate instead of sleep.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:56 pm

Yeah if you have an SSD boot is so fast that really makes no practical difference. After many years, I know mostly turn the computer off in the evening as well and turn it back on in the morning..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:05 pm

CS70 wrote:Yeah if you have an SSD boot is so fast that really makes no practical difference. After many years, I know mostly turn the computer off in the evening as well and turn it back on in the morning..

It isn’t my music computer, it is my general dogsbody computer, where I will have several applications running, including some I have to sign into, browser with several tabs open, so there is a lot going on
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Agharta » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:37 pm

I use sleep multiple times per day and occasionally my USB AI loses its connection which takes 30 seconds or so to resolve.
As you said, the bigger deal with powering off and on is that you have to reopen all your apps and documents and arrange them properly.
So the total time and effort becomes an issue when doing that 3 or so times a day.
So I only power off at the end of the day.
In your situation I would try closing Cubase before using sleep.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:06 pm

Best solution sat the screen to go off after say 20 mins but set the hard drives to "NEVER" shut down that way you will save some power but not screw your system up
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:49 pm

uselessoldman wrote:Best solution sat the screen to go off after say 20 mins but set the hard drives to "NEVER" shut down that way you will save some power but not screw your system up

That's the way I run my PC system.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby OneWorld » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:38 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
uselessoldman wrote:Best solution sat the screen to go off after say 20 mins but set the hard drives to "NEVER" shut down that way you will save some power but not screw your system up

That's the way I run my PC system.

Martin

In typical Windows fashion, it has started to work now, but how, why etc I have no idea. All I know is that it now works
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)