You are here

Does any one buy software?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Does any one buy software?

Postby entireweb » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:29 pm

I have noticed most of the current music software available on bittorrent or edonkey; the big sequencers and vst plugins. Considering that they are downloadable as pure iso images and are installable trouble free, with cracks etc, does any one bother buying them? Piracy etc is obviously illegal and I dont support it, but if no ones buying the stuff then maybe this will be a future problem, etc. It seems as though everything has been cracked, even dongle protection etc. Maybe this will revive hardware sales!
entireweb
New here

Re: Does any one buy software?

Postby Ian Threlfall » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:36 pm

Except 2 of the biggest.

Pro Tools (Which may well be now we have M-Powered)
Logic 7 Pro - (Which dongle is unreverse-engineerable as its resin sealed)

Many people buy them, I mean any person who is making a living out of music software really really has to buy it, educational establishments, all of whome could get audited.

Plus even everday people like me! I own Wavelab 5, Pro Tools LE and am saving up for Logic Pro (May take a while!)

But i do see your point, and I belive it is leading to increased price of software, and possible problems.
Ian Threlfall
New here

Postby entireweb » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:40 pm

Actually pro tools mpowered has just been cracked. I could post the link, but for obvious reasons I wont.
entireweb
New here

Postby jellyjim » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:57 pm

Yes, I do.

It feels much better buying than stealing. One has a greater sense of the value of something and I think one makes better use of it as a result. Somehow it makes you value yourself and your creative process more too.

Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Michael B » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:51 am

It does, and maybe I'm deluding myself, but my PC is much more stable.

I bought Cubase VST and upgraded to SX1. The PC never, like never, had any problems.

I put a crack of SX2 on as a favour to a mate who always uses cracks - he wanted me to do some production work on tracks he'd supplied. Slowly but surely the PC started to get unreliable, with Cubase corrupting it's own files.

I also justified my decision to put the cracked copy on as I fully intended to, and now have done, bought SX3

Before my copy of SX3 arrived, I removed the cracked copy of SX2, rebuilt the machine and re-installed my legal copy of SX1. Again the PC was stable and crash free, I could leave it sequencing for days and days, no freezes or crackles or all the rest of it.

My mate with the cracked actually runs a commercial studio on craqcked software, and he usually has to put up a 'closed for maintenance' sign up almost every other month

I do think that the heaveyweight software like the full version of Cubase could be a lot cheaper, but I could do with cheaper beer as well - it don't suppose that's going to happen
Michael B
Regular

Postby Richiebee » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:53 am

I can usually con my employer into buying me all the software I want, but I have also spent a significant amount on it too. Especially this year.

I never use pirated software, or illegal music downloads.

I've occasionally been very disappointed by software developers who seem to do little to encourage you to buy - like Macromedia for instance who refused to allow me to transfer my licence from Windows to Mac even though both versions came on the disc I purchased. Once it had been installed on one OS, it could not be transferred to the other. Waves also seems to want to take every opportunity it can to take more money from you, and I think this kind of attitude certainly doesn't enourage people to purchase legal software.

Unlike many people, I don't have a problem with dongles, in fact I think the Syncrosoft system that I have with Cubase SX and numerous other products is great.

While on the subject, I have a gripe... people who buy educational versions even though they don't qualify for them, or who don't use them in accordance with the licence agreement. Somehow they think they're using software legally because they paid some money... they're not, and might as well be getting a pirate copy from BitTorrent or whatever the hell its called.

Rich
Richiebee
New here

Postby The real musiclover » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:59 am

Oh no. Not again!

Crack'eads on the line freaking out, dangerous!

Anyone cracks my 'ardware i crack their 'eads. Not really, i'm too like, far out maaan.

Software. :roll:

;)
The real musiclover
Regular

Postby Richiebee » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:46 am

The real musiclover wrote:
Oh no. Not again!

Crack'eads on the line freaking out, dangerous!

Anyone cracks my 'ardware i crack their 'eads. Not really, i'm too like, far out maaan.

Software. :roll:

;)

your not hardcore man dont you no that you need to use no puntuation no upper case and your spelling has to suck you also need to use a z instead of an s in lots of places
Richiebee
New here

Postby Combo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:12 am

I buy my software but most of my friends don't. TBH playing with their cracks in the past has inspired me to buy software that I thought I didn't need until I used it. I've also bought upgrades and lived to regret it. Soundforge 7 being a case in point.

I used to use a crack of Tera 2 for a while coz my bought copy wouldn't authorise properly. Many people were having the same problem at the time but none of the suggested solutions I read on their forum worked for me. Now I've got v3 and have no problems. I also heard of folks on KVR who were using cracks of waves stuff coz their paid for copies were giving them grief, Back in the v4 days. But that is hearsay.

From the moral perspective, I am happier giving my money to PSP or fxpansion than to bigger companies like Steinberg or Sony. Mainly coz the smaller companies seem to take customer concerns much more seriously. But I still pay the big boys for their wares.

I got no problems with the idea of dongles either but they seem to've gone out of fashion. the only one I use is for Cubase. Maybe if I had 10 of them I would feel differently. As things stand I dread reformatting my system and all the emails that are involved in reauthorising all my software.
Combo
Frequent Poster
Not an expert.

Postby Spacehog » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:51 am

I know of a few people who use the cracked versions of the Waves plugins even though they own the legit ones, purely because the cracked versions are more stable and don't use the stupid copy protection system. Personally, can't stand the plugins - never bought them, and I admit that I tried out a cracked version when I was a student a few years ago which cemented the idea in my head that they are a complete waste of money. I use a reasonable number of plugins, both freeware and purchased, but nothing cracked.

I have a legit copy of Cubase SX2 that's about as stable as Windows ME on my desktop PC for some reason - thankfully it runs fine on my laptop, otherwise I'd have been sorely annoyed by it. Thankfully I'm a Sonar user so don't have to deal with stupid plastic dongles that split open within 30 seconds of you taking them out of the box. Can't fault the Syncrosoft protection from a software point of view, the stability issue is with Cubase itself, but the hardware is poorly made - I've ended up wrapping it in electrical tape to hold it together.

I can certainly understand why people crack software. Companies really don't help sometimes. Just before I moved house, I bought full versions of Soundforge 7 and CD Architect 5 from Sony's website... I was off the internet for a couple of months, and when I got back on, I discovered that CD Architect was now free with Soundforge 8 (for the same price) - so basically my $200 had been wasted. It's software I use a lot, but something like this would certainly encourage a more malicious person to crack Sony's software (which doesn't appear to be very difficult to do, from what I've seen).

I don't think lowering the price of software would drastically reduce software piracy (although it would to an extent - I would maybe have bought more as a student if I could have afforded it, and even now I balk at certain upgrade costs). I like the idea of tying software into a piece of hardware, but only if that hardware does something useful (storing licenses or even the whole software to make installation and transferring between machines easier, or providing DSP etc) and is well made.

FWIW, I know there are plenty of horror stories about viruses, spyware etc in cracked software, but out of all the people I've met who've used any, I've not come across a single person who's had any problems at all. I'd say I've come across far more people who've had instability issues with the legit versions of software than with cracked versions. And that's something manufacturers need to sort out if they actually want to keep their business.
Spacehog
New here

Postby Andi » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:30 am

I have a mate who has gone so far along the download route for both software and music / video that I honestly don't believe that he now has any concept of buying material.

He used to send me CDs, then DVDs of downloaded gear. One single disc had in the region of £20K of software on it (of which I haven't been bothered to install a single item). Oddly, when I wanted a new compresor I went and downloaded a freebie Kjaerhaus unit insetead of going to my extensive coaster collection.

I have to say though that I feel like a right mug sometimes when I type in my credit card details to get something that I know I could get for free in a couple of days. The funny thing is that I'm really not clever enough to choose between any of the 20 diferent reverbs or compressors that I have on disc, I want one that I can use and get used to just like I would if I went out and bought one.

I did spend a spell downloading music and found the same thing happened, I would download 15 CDs and not listen to any of them. I go out and buy 1 or 2 CDs and play the grooves off them.

The real irony is that my mate is a metalhead, he loves that 80s shred stuff. He constantly bemoans the fact that there is so little of his type of music being released, then, when a new band gets released he downloads it and wonders why the band gets dropped by the stupid record company. I've just ordered CDs by The Answer and Roadstar because I expect to like the music and I want these guys to be around for a while.
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Postby infiniteloop » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:33 am

I'm a Mac user (sorry PC dudes..!!) & the issue of cracked software applies to us too. For a while I used a cracked version of Cubase SX but when I bought my new Mac this version was not compatable, so I had to go and buy Cubase SL3 'cos I couldn't afford SX3 which costs nearly £500..!! Maybe the software giants should realise that we're not all mega-bucks recording stars with loads of dosh to through around..surely they must realise that the average musicians income makes buying their software a luxury that most can't afford, hence the use of cracked software. Surely it's better to sell 3 copies of Cubase SX for £200 than it is to sell one at nearly £500. My point is that the software should be made affordable, and I don't just mean music software I mean ALL software..maybe then the humble musician trying to make an honest living like myself wouldn't have to resort to using hacked software..
infiniteloop
Regular

Postby Richiebee » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:06 pm

infiniteloop wrote:Maybe the software giants should realise that we're not all mega-bucks recording stars with loads of dosh to through around..surely they must realise that the average musicians income makes buying their software a luxury that most can't afford, hence the use of cracked software.

I think Steinberg has the right idea - three different versions of Cubase to suit different sized pockets.

R.
Richiebee
New here

Postby Blueflash » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:31 pm

I understand why pewople want to download free software, we get it in my shop all the time ( www.jbsmusic.com ) and for trialling software it can sometimes be useful but you have to understand that these companies are tiny and they reply on people buying the software to carry on updating and improving, if they have to spend time devising new ways to beat the hackers then that takes their time away from what we'd rather they were doing.
I have no problem with people trying stuff but please, if you use it, buy it, it's cheaper than hardware by a long way and more convenient, if we reallyl ook at our setups do we need hundreds of VST instruments? Nope, only a few choice ones and if we pay for them, they will be updated, mostly for free and we'll be rewarded for brand loyalty...like in Sainsburys!
Dan
Blueflash

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:05 pm

We've heard all the arguments many times here before, but I'm pleased to see so many honest people here who want to keep developers in business so we get new products developed.

I've long been an advocate of not everyone having to have the really expensive flagship versions of MIDI+Audio sequencers, and have written about this in SOS in the past:

www.soundonsound.com/SOS/apr05/articles/pcmusician.htm

So I was pleased to receive a press release from Arbiter here in the UK a few days ago with the news that the price of Cubase SL has now dropped from about £280 to just £199 - it does everything that most musicians need.

And while there's no excuse for ripping any developer off, some are literally one-man operations, so if you don't support them they end up getting another job and we don't see any more products from them in the future.

infiniteloop wrote:My point is that the software should be made affordable, and I don't just mean music software I mean ALL software..maybe then the humble musician trying to make an honest living like myself wouldn't have to resort to using hacked software..

Surely some lapse in logic there infiniteloop? How can you be trying to make an honest living when you're using hacked software ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Next