You are here

Does any one buy software?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Does any one buy software?

Postby stag » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:04 pm

There are many people going for the real deal.
Even crack teams don´t like the idea of using their releases
for more than demo purposes.
Making money with the stuff is a major no no, they even hurge people to talk to the proper authorities if they see someone using it on a "professional" enviromment.

BTW i have a spare copy of Cubase SL Edition, which is a copy of SL2 and HALion 2, dongle, manuals and a gourgeous case included of course.
I´ll be glad to ship it to anywhere on Europe for a fair offert.
Just PM me.

Bye.

PS: I´m a hobbyist but also a proud licensee of a huge lot of awesome software.
stag
Poster

Postby transmatic2000 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:25 pm

Wow! Hot topic! People will always steal if they can, simple. But I agree that if it was cheaper, especially from the big boys, more people would buy it.

But then again cheap is a relative term. Say Cubase SX is only AUD$500, compared to $1500 now. Yes that's cheap, but still $500. People will still steal. It's war, pure and simple, survival of the fittest. :round1:

But look at Behringer. Cheap gear, good gear. I can now afford to buy guitar amps etc, and now I do and I can make music. Before I couldn't with Fender and the like ripping us off blind for years. Cheap guitars are now good too, before they weren't. But, thank God for China.

I challenge some brainiac to compete with Steinberg and the rest of them. Surely it's not too hard for someone to come into the market and provide competition. Behringer did. Make it cheaper and people will go for you I'm sure. But that's hardware, this is software, so of course you'll still have to try and make it theft proof, hehehe.
transmatic2000

Postby TTN » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:29 pm

transmatic2000 wrote:
But look at Behringer. Cheap gear, good gear.

I fear the flood gates have been opened once more...
TTN
Poster

Postby John Willett » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:44 pm

transmatic2000 wrote:But look at Behringer. Cheap gear, good gear.
Mmmmmm - cheap gear, yes; but good gear?????????????? I would say value for money, but you get what you pay for.

transmatic2000 wrote:with Fender and the like ripping us off blind for years.
Absolutelly NO! - quality products at the right price.

Your Fender will last you years, your Behringer ???????

You get what you pay for.

The good thing about Behringer and the like is that it has brought reasonable quality down to a very affordable price, especially for the home studio - personally, I prefer to pay more and get the professional product.

This is my personal feeling.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby electrotimba » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:52 pm

Hmm, John "reasonable quality", you are very kind about Behringer. For me Berhinger is to hardware what crackers to software, except that the cracks mostly work like original.Behrineger just look similar.
Anyway the have my favourite add of all time, that grand- "which will change any space"
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Bill C » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:53 pm

transmatic2000 wrote:People will always steal if they can, simple.

some people maybe, not all people ...
Bill C
Poster

Postby hifistud2 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:32 pm

Conz wrote:Chill out :shock:

It probably would be more affordable if people weren't using illigitimate copies. It's the thieving gippos that keep the costs up!

P

Unfortunately, that's not true. Pricing is set on a "what the market will bare" basis, and very little else. F'rinstance, all three versions of Cubase share identical code - just that SE doesn't implement as much as SL, which doesn't implement as much as SX. If the bloke that did the compiles had slipped a finger or two, SE would have as much functionality as SL. As it stands, it doesn't - but is SX worth 5 timnes as much as SE's RRP (or ten times its "available for" price in the education sector?).

Likewise, the "thieving gippos" cost software houses very little. A software house may well know how many illegitimate downloads of their software have occurred, but not one actually knows how many sales have been lost to illegal usage.

You might as well as Digidesign how many sales were lost to Protools Free (which is now unavailable for the time being). They have no way of knowing.
hifistud2
Regular

Postby Henry-S » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:48 pm

infinite, I dont understand if you have a job making music or you have no job, but your reasoning is totally jaded and pretty stupid :frown:

I have also heard loads of stories and know people who have used cracked versions of software and when I asked them "oh I thought you would have bought it" they tell me "yeah its over there in the box I just not using that stupid dongle". Which is very true.

The thing which annoys me with this whole "protecting software" is the person who ends up paying for it, is the people who pay the money for the software. Its like the only reason software protection is on, is to stop someone cracking it, so you end up paying £xx money because they have to be seen to "protect their investment". Problem is the only people who get done over by these copy protection methods are the people who BUY the product in the first place.

It seems like some companies are so eager to protect their stuff (which lets face it, will get cracked sooner or later) that they end up forgetting how much of a pain in the ass they are making it for the people who are actually going to buy it.

The people who cracked SX3 these people called h2o are very clever people. They made their own dongle emulation and they said "and we believe current dongle on sx 3 is sucking up like 20% of what a computer can do". Synchosoft responded with "no the reports are unfounded etc" (even though these h2o people have just broken the protection on their uncrackable dongle).

End of the day I look at it like this, if someone sees a car, even if it says "alarm, tracker" etc etc. If they want to steal it, they pretty much can, regardless of the methods in place. I mean jesus some companies have made Music CD's not playable on computers because you can make it into an mp3, i mean jesus christ, so i cant even listen to the cd when i doing my writing on my pc. Companies need to think more about the people who BUY their software than the people who are going to download it.
Henry-S
Regular
There is nothing Grim about this Reaper

Postby TTN » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:44 am

oh god not the car analogy AGAIN..... :headbang:

it was all going so well til that point
TTN
Poster

Postby lazyrich » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:33 am

Now this is third hand info and i don't know anything about cars or stealing them so this could be wrong, but a friend of a friend who works for the police said that those advanced widgits for stopping people stealing cars actually work really well, and most auto theft these days is either of older cars or stolen to order - i.e. somone will follow you home, break into your house and steal your car keys as you've got an expencive car somone else wants and it's not practical to get around all the anti-theft stuff.

Sorry bit OT
lazyrich
Poster

Postby Henry-S » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:33 pm

... and the point you missed was

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT HAS AN ALARM.

as you just said "they break in your house and steal the keys"

hence why I said it makes no difference about the protection, because one way or another the person who wants the stuff finds a way to do it.

A car thief thinks oh god I aint going for some posh car with all this tracking stuff, so he follows you home and then yoinks your keys while you sleep.

Where as with synchrosoft, they couldnt break the protection, so they just rewrote the entire dongle.

The car analogy is not from the "you wouldnt steal a car, then why steal software". I was using it as an example of "if your going to steal a car, there isnt much people can do to stop you".

:headbang:
Henry-S
Regular
There is nothing Grim about this Reaper

Postby *INACTIVE USER* » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Price of software is a mystery. Was just looking at some CAD programs, and I haven't the faintest idea what ProEngineer asks these days, but you can buy a personal version (non-commercial use) or about 400 (euro or dollar). I expect to pay about 20-fold for the commercial version. Difference: the personal one prints a watermark on the plans. I can live with that -both prica and limitations- for my model-engineering hobby. If they have a linux version...

All the other soft is just downloaded. Linux, KDE, Opera, OpenOffice, Gimp, Ardour, Rezound, Ladspa plug-ins...
*INACTIVE USER*
Regular
Expert in non-working solutions

Postby transmatic2000 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:24 am

John Willett wrote:

transmatic2000 wrote:with Fender and the like ripping us off blind for years.
Absolutelly NO! - quality products at the right price.

Your Fender will last you years...

Not if some bugger steals it, like my fender bass was.

Personally, when someone tries to tell me I shouldn't download a rolling stones song or the like, I laugh. Those boys don't need any money off me. (and as for Metallica, kiss my arse). It's the Robbin Hood principle. I think that's what people are talking about. But Robbin never stole from the poor man, and neither should you. Eat the rich, viva la revolucion.

But I admire Apple for their angle on this topic. I was highly sceptical of iTunes at start, but it's actually a pretty good value service, and a creative solution to the problem. It's up to Steinberg and co to use similar creativeness if they're so upset by it all.

By the way, I bought my Cubase copy so don't come down on me with all your morals. :tongue:
transmatic2000

Postby Andrew Mayo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:14 pm

I much prefer to use legitamate software,i am 17 dont have a job and just finished college, i saved up for months to buy Cubase se and the Vst Collection. And dont use illegal software because i know it just causes problems, aside from being illegal it can easily muck up. I have installed a crack cubase sx copy but that was to convert some files,which when i had finished i uninstalled it and deleted the setup file. SE does me fine,apart from i would like a better click routing system.Next step is to save for some more vsts. Also i can understand that software companies dont make fully functional demos as there would be no point selling real copies if there demos were fully functional but if you want to try before you buy download the demos.I would like to sibelius to reduce its price that would be nice.
Andrew Mayo

Postby Dunewar » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:41 pm

ever tried Finale Notepad? It's a fully functional demo from Finale. You can't score full orchestral stuff on it, but you can make a quick leadsheet, and for me that's perfect.
Dunewar
Poster

PreviousNext