You are here

WiFi for new DAW PC

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

WiFi for new DAW PC

Postby james090 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 pm

This is not so much a Music question, more an internet one.

I am a Mac user, so not so up to date with Windows 10 etc and PC's unfortunately, so forgive me :blush:

My Z210 workstation PC came without any Wifi card.

I believe I can get one for PCI whereby I install internally, but I have seen many USB tiny WiFi dongles that simply sit into an unused USB port.

Would these be better?

Would anyone have any recommendations for simple WiFI connectivity to the Internet on a HP Z210 Workstation PC, quickly and easily for a PC newbie like myself?

I am looking at Amazon, and see small 'stubby' usb dongles, and larger USB's with aerials on?

Like https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XZ1DBPZ/ref=pd_luc_rh_sspa_dk_huc_pt_expsub_0?psc=1&smid=A1W02PZ0HL04EX&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWVU3Q0pXNE03Q0pWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjAxNDQ0MjRRV1lOSjlLTUU0WSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjI3ODkyM0tNQVVJN0wzWktTUiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2h1Y19tcmFpJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== :

And : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RP84WVP/ ... ljaz10cnVl

Any help much appreciated, so I can connect just to send files etc.

(I have tried my iMac to share Internet via an Ethernet cable but no luck, as the PC keeps saying 'Ethernet Doesn’t Have A Valid IP Configuration' ?)
james090
Regular

Re: WiFi for new DAW PC

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:04 pm

This one works well:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-USB-AC53-Na ... B071KV2SMV

The two you linked to might be okay but they're no-name brands so you'd be taking a chance.

On the 'Ethernet Doesn’t Have A Valid IP Configuration' issue - I think maybe if you check the IP address of the Mac when it's connected it's a link-local (169.254.0.0/16) address?

If that's the case, then put a router between the PC and the Mac and that'll handle the DHCP issues I'm guessing you're having. Anything will do, an old ISP or Sky router.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:07 pm

I like wifi dongles because when I want to kill the radio I can simply unplug them. However, I have them on longer USB extension cables, so I can position them in the best place for reception.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:52 pm

You can kill Wi-Fi with a simple script CS, no need to pull the dongle - those USB ports won't last forever.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby james090 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:07 pm

Thank you guys...

With regards @n o i s e f l e ur I changed my cable to a crossover one, and in the Mac shared the WiFi to Ethernet and Display Ethernet (not sure why) and it seems to work! :)

So no have internet on the PC.

As its coming through the iMac, I take it, its safe(r) even though I have all the Firewalls on the PC.

And if I want to completely disconnect, I just pull the cable :)
james090
Regular

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:24 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:You can kill Wi-Fi with a simple script CS, no need to pull the dongle - those USB ports won't last forever.

Unplugging and replugging is far faster and simpler than a simple script (and usually not necessarily the same thing. You can just as well put Windows in airplane mode then). Been doing it for years, zero problems on USB hardware. As I said, I like dongles. Ymmv.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:42 pm

The script stops the hardware which is exactly the same thing as pulling the dongle, and is a single click to kill, another to restore.

Suffice it so say - it's fast, and I barely have to move a muscle to run it.

@ OP - Wow, a crossover cable! I didn't think they were still around / necessary. Glad you got it sorted in the end, networking is a clusterf*ck embedded in a SNAFU.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby james090 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:46 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:@ OP - Wow, a crossover cable! I didn't think they were still around / necessary. Glad you got it sorted in the end, networking is a clusterf*ck embedded in a SNAFU.

Yup I used to use one with Windows 10 and Mac OS to share audio files (something I havent set up yet as I am just using the Internet)

I am hoping a direct cable will be as fast as a wireless or usb dongle (the router is on another floor) so I won't need to get a USB wifi dongle or PCI one?
james090
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:53 pm

james090 wrote:Thank you guys...
As its coming through the iMac, I take it, its safe(r) even though I have all the Firewalls on the PC.

Routing through the Mac does absolutely nothing to make it safe(r), make sure you have Defender turned on in Windows and of course keep the firewall up. It wouldn't hurt you to install a decent Antivirus on the Mac either - Avira is good (a little more naggy than previously but not egregiously so, compared to other offerings - and it's a good AV unlike almost *all* of the competition).

Just make damn sure you only install the (free) AV and not the entire suite of crap, which is easy to do if you're not paying attention to exactly which product you're downloading / installing.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:00 pm

james090 wrote:
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:@ OP - Wow, a crossover cable! I didn't think they were still around / necessary. Glad you got it sorted in the end, networking is a clusterf*ck embedded in a SNAFU.

Yup I used to use one with Windows 10 and Mac OS to share audio files (something I havent set up yet as I am just using the Internet)

I am hoping a direct cable will be as fast as a wireless or usb dongle (the router is on another floor) so I won't need to get a USB wifi dongle or PCI one?

It should be, but it'll depend on the specifics of your internet connection (highest possible speed available) and the NICs in the PC and Mac (speed of communication between the PC and Mac).

As long as the first doesn't exceed the second you're golden.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:22 pm

I too use a dongle, they are cheap as chips. I put a shortcut to the desktop, right click disable/enable
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:49 am

Yes, both myself and son have used dongles for internet and Bluetooth (most combine the two these days) But, "Work station PC"? Is that a desktop? If so and the router is at all handy (and it could be a good 50mtrs away!) why not simply use an RJ45 patch cable and have a totally secure connection that is also probably a little faster than Wi Fi?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby james090 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:53 am

ef37a wrote:Yes, both myself and son have used dongles for internet and Bluetooth (most combine the two these days) But, "Work station PC"? Is that a desktop? If so and the router is at all handy (and it could be a good 50mtrs away!) why not simply use an RJ45 patch cable and have a totally secure connection that is also probably a little faster than Wi Fi?

Dave.

Yes its a desktop, and no its not near the Router, as its on another floor.

I seem fine with running off the Mac's WIFI via a cable but if it alters I guess I could look at a USB dongle or PCI card with aerial
james090
Regular

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:53 am

james090 wrote:
ef37a wrote:Yes, both myself and son have used dongles for internet and Bluetooth (most combine the two these days) But, "Work station PC"? Is that a desktop? If so and the router is at all handy (and it could be a good 50mtrs away!) why not simply use an RJ45 patch cable and have a totally secure connection that is also probably a little faster than Wi Fi?

Dave.

Yes its a desktop, and no its not near the Router, as its on another floor.

I seem fine with running off the Mac's WIFI via a cable but if it alters I guess I could look at a USB dongle or PCI card with aerial

Ok well, just done a rough A test. My old living room desktop on cable gives 30.36 Mbps down and 9.37Mbps upload (the latter is I think limited by the router?) My W10 Lenovo laptop, wireless gives 23.7 down and the same 9.4 up. The laptop is just over a mtr from my Talk Talk router.
I have always found Startech dongles and other network products reliable and good value.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster