You are here

Windows 10: Cubase Install - Admin Rights?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Windows 10: Cubase Install - Admin Rights?

Postby Temp » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi Folks,

I've just taken receipt of a new workstation and will be installing Cubase 10.5 later this week. I just wanted to check whether I need to [right-click] install as an administrator to avoid any UAC or permissions weirdness. I'll also be installing a bunch of plugins, including the Waves Abbey Road mastering chain (I'll be trying to avoid any 32-bit legacy plugins, but there might be a couple). Any pointers or tips would be most appreciated; it's my first time with Windows 10 and I'm somewhat cautious, although I am looking forward to getting it all ship-shape.

I'm also going to pore over the W10 SOS thread to see what guidance I can pick up.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Re: Windows 10: Cubase Install - Admin Rights?

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:46 pm

Temp wrote:I've just taken receipt of a new workstation and will be installing Cubase 10.5 later this week. I just wanted to check whether I need to [right-click] install as an administrator to avoid any UAC or permissions weirdness.
I've never done that. It would be a strange Cubase installation that made it a requirement. And even if it did it would make no difference to how it will run once installed.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Fishnish » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:29 pm

I Just did similarly a few months ago - Moved from Cubase 10 on Win 7 to C10.5 on a new Win 10 PC - There was no need to run as administrator. Moving my Waves plugins over was fine too, although I did update them all to latest versions which gave me a free (well I paid for the update!) year of a 2nd licence so I could keep old and new PCs running for a week or two just in case of any problems, missing files, corrupt projects etc.

As it was, it all went fine. I spent more time beforehand archiving and backing up projects and checking plugin paths, bookmarking the account and download pages for all my software, libraries, plugins, drivers etc, than I did actually doing the install. Just made myself a list and worked through it. I did fresh installs of everything to ensure I was on latest version. Some of the library content (Toontrack) needed updates anway, so I did fresh downloads, Others I just moved over.
Fishnish
Regular

Postby Temp » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:23 pm

Thanks for the advice, that's great news. I think I initially got into the habit of installing stuff as an admin when I was having authorisation issues with a couple of EastWest/Kontakt libraries, way back on XP and SX3.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular