You are here

Internet drops out

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Internet drops out

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:44 pm

Has been doing so for some weeks. I open up Firefox and it says "Hmm, having trouble accessing that site" For some time I would find the network needed re connection (chevon, ray icon, Ttalk "connect") and all was fine. Then lately it would 'connect' but show "no internet".

After a few more tries I power cycled the router and it came back. Today it was really buggered, the first reset did not work. I am doing this with a W10 laptop and wireless. I tried my W7 lappy, still no internet so I fired up my living room desktop served by a CAT cable. Still no internet.
After yet another power cycle it came back.

I have just spent a very trying 30 minutes with TT customer service (coz I'm mutton) and they say they have run checks on the line and tested the router. The lady has emailed me notes on getting the best service but that all applies just to wi fi. I could not make her understand that if my cabled PC has also lost internet it is not a wireless matter?

I am convinced that the router is going west and shall be badgering them for a new one.

Any other thoughts chaps?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Internet drops out

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:23 pm

It sounds like a line problem. Check the voltage on your line - I had a similar problem and it came back 40V instead of 50V. Open Reach was called and the fault was a corroded connection up a pole. A new junction box installed and all was sweetness and light!

It could also be a dodgy modem at the other end. Them green boxes are filled with banks of them and if one or more are on the blink and you get that one, down goes the connection.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:48 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:It sounds like a line problem. Check the voltage on your line - I had a similar problem and it came back 40V instead of 50V. Open Reach was called and the fault was a corroded connection up a pole. A new junction box installed and all was sweetness and light!

It could also be a dodgy modem at the other end. Them green boxes are filled with banks of them and if one or more are on the blink and you get that one, down goes the connection.

Thanks Red. I should say I am on FTTC and my Green box is barely 50 mtrs away and the pole outside my house tother side of a narrow road (2 cars and a tipper truck) If there was a fault on the line, low volts, resistance, would TTlk's line checks have found that? They were running tests for some minutes. Can check volts easy enough though.

I would also have though a dodgy line would have crackled? As the grave these day although I had a crackle for fekkin years on and off with BT.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm

Well, the old routine is to isolate and test the possibilities - start with the voltage on the input to the modem, try a different modem if you have one, and so on, until the fault is definitely off your property and at their end!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:Well, the old routine is to isolate and test the possibilities - start with the voltage on the input to the modem, try a different modem if you have one, and so on, until the fault is definitely off your property and at their end!

Ok but since I always get internet back when I power cycle the router my money is on that. Do I need to call Openreach to check the pole and cabinet or do I have to go through the G'Dawful talk talk customer service system again?

I have been with TT for many years now and never had a problem, is anyone else any better? Plusnet say?
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:02 pm

I noticed lots of dropouts, with much increasing frequency, not long after BT and other providers were ordered to remove Huawei equipment. Considering Huawei was (is?) the backbone of the whole network infrastructure, and has been since the inception of broadband, I cannot imagine it would be possible to take the heart out of the infrastructure and do it seemlessly - swapping routers, switches, and configuring the replacement kit etc without dropouts, can't be done.

And guess who is going to pay for all this?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:09 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:It sounds like a line problem. Check the voltage on your line - I had a similar problem and it came back 40V instead of 50V. Open Reach was called and the fault was a corroded connection up a pole. A new junction box installed and all was sweetness and light!

Sounds like a line problem to me too, I had the same thing ages back, and it turned out to be a ripped cable, that was letting water in, same symptoms.
Trouble is, if it’s not on your property Talk Talk will get open Reach in and they will charge you, not good. I'm with Virgin, none of that nonsense, I think they own the copper.
Mine always got worse in damp or rainy whether, water getting in the cable.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:23 pm

Arpangel wrote:Mine always got worse in damp or rainy whether, water getting in the cable.
That is typical for voltage drop caused by corrosion. Test the voltage!

TIP - Lidl has got multimeters tomorrow.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:56 pm

ef37a wrote:I have just spent a very trying 30 minutes with TT...

I hear nothing but bad feedback on TT these days. I think they used to be pretty good, but I've heard so many complaints recently, including from No1 daughter who had terrible trouble with her broadband connection.

She started out at a good 70Mbps (fibre to the cabinet), but a couple of years in and it gradually got slower and less reliable until it grumbled along at barely 10 with lots of dropouts. Months of complaining phone calls, rebooting, no shows from 'an engineer', followed by two replacement routers -- all with no improvement.

In the end demanded a no-fee cancellation and compensation (which she got) and switched to BT -- and now she has a romping and very solid 70Mbps+ again.

I'm told that TT use 'non-standard' codecs which might have something to do with it.

I'm with Plusnet (which is really BT anyway) and have very good service from the off. No complaints -- even the help line is answered by real people reasonably promptly!

I don't think you can deal with Openreach directly, it has to go through your provider.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:20 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Mine always got worse in damp or rainy whether, water getting in the cable.

Thanks Red but I have an old but very excellent Fluke 83!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:30 pm

Seventy megs Hugh?! How far is she from the cabinet? The best I have ever got is an indicated 36 Mbps but Ookla is always pessimistic compared to the rest and tops out at about 26M.

Mid 20s is fast enough for me, I generally find the source is the limiting factor. I shall look at the numbers for Plusnet and if a good deal give TT the elbow. "Really BT" you say? Well I have kept my old BT email address, they gave it me for free for years but then a few years ago hit me for a blue 'un. Now it is £7.45 a month for very little, I cannot even get into BT hot spots.

I guess I could just go back to BT but will have to check the cost.

Cheers all, will keep you posted. (well, emailed!)

I have just emailed the BT shop and got an automated reply. They only work Mon-Fri and not bank holidays. Bit weird for 'Meeja' people?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:32 pm

It is always best to buy your own router - the TT router is probably the cheapest they could get away with. The Draytek Vigor range or one of the Billion range seem to be recommended by the router geeks as they give you more control over the way the router connects and the noise margins that it will work with.

It may also be worth checking the filter.

You are probably limited to 36Mbps as that's the speed you are paying for. If you want 70Mbps you'll have to pay extra. If you want good service then you'll probably be better off going for a company like Zen who have a very good reputation but they'll be slightly more expensive than the cheapest (although it looks like they don't play games with their prices for subsequent years so may be cheaper in the long run).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:42 am

Hi James, the Talk Talk router has had a good rep on various forums and Which rate it highly. I have also had zero problems with it until a couple of months ago (if it is indeed the router) and have had it for a couple of years. It does run rather warm!

Just ten ago I was about to reply to M here about his "few bits" saga when I found wi fi had dropped out. However I am listening to R3 on a cable fed desktop and that carried on. I reconnected and got my reply off then about 2 minutes later R3 stopped. I hit refresh and sweet music once again. Can the buffer really be 4 or 5 minutes?

I have some horse trading to do. If Plusnet will admit their BT origin and let me off the 7 quid for my email addy I shall probably go with them. If not BT looks the best bet.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:32 pm

ef37a wrote:
The Red Bladder wrote:

Thanks Red but I have an old but very excellent Fluke 83!

Dave.
It can't be that old - it's digital. I have all kinds of old analogue test stuff from about 49BC, inc. a 4-channel Fluke Oscar and an old HP 334A distortion analyser.

But the Lidl tip was directed at Tony. And it was Sunday, so now they're at Lidl tomorrow - silly me! I forgot which day it was!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)