You are here

Delayed midi

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Delayed midi

Postby hardminder » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:11 am

Hey guys!
So... I have a problem, no, I don't think it's a buffer size problem...

To make a long story short

I press rec, i play, i press stop, my midi file has dragged from where i played it.

So yeah, everything I play live, gets dragged in forward, like i was leaning in like crazy.

I'm using cubase 9, never encountered this in 10 years using cubase, and the same ''midi controller''a roland fantom s, 2005 synthesizer.

Do you guys have any ideas? that's pretty anoying.

Thanks in advance
hardminder
Regular
Mobo : Asus Prime X-570P
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800-X
GPU : Not relevant!
Memory : 2x16gb DDR4 RAM
Storage : 2x1tb M.2
PSU : EVGA 500BQ
Cubase 10 Pro

Re: Delayed midi

Postby The Elf » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:36 am

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:57 am

...so the MIDI is late...? Is the delay in the recording of notes, or the playback of sounds? If you arranged a series of MIDI beats on the grid, then recorded notes on those beats, would they appear on the right place in the grid...?

If it's a playback issue, is it playing back on a hardware or software instrument...? Is it the same with different instruments...? Is it the same with different project files...? Have you checked delay compensation settings...?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:21 pm

I'm on 10.5 but take a look in:

Preferences > Record > MIDI
" ASIO Latency Compensation Active by Default" and "Add Latency to MIDI-Thru Processing"
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:17 pm

Interesting article, but is the DirectMusic vs Windows MIDI information still valid?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... 76(v=vs.85)?redirectedfrom=MSDN
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby hardminder » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:I'm on 10.5 but take a look in:

Preferences > Record > MIDI
" ASIO Latency Compensation Active by Default" and "Add Latency to MIDI-Thru Processing"

Thanks for the advice, i went to see those, they were unchecked, I checked them and now everything I record is played back slightly before where I played it, the opposite of my initial problem. BTW i'm pretty pocket, I'm a trained drummer. Thanks!
hardminder
Regular
Cubase 10 Pro

Postby hardminder » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:46 am

BJG145 wrote:...so the MIDI is late...? Is the delay in the recording of notes, or the playback of sounds? If you arranged a series of MIDI beats on the grid, then recorded notes on those beats, would they appear on the right place in the grid...?

If it's a playback issue, is it playing back on a hardware or software instrument...? Is it the same with different instruments...? Is it the same with different project files...? Have you checked delay compensation settings...?

It is not a playback issue. I play the notes, humanly tight, and then when the recording is over, they appear delayed on the chart. The midi notes are behind where I played them, simply. If I place midi events, they play normally. It's a recording issue. Also I don't have any delay if I just play live without recording.

Sorry for the late response I was out of this world busy this week, thanks for the help!
hardminder
Regular
Cubase 10 Pro

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:00 am

Try ticking the box to Use System Timestamp on Windows MIDI - and if that doesn't cure it, do the ignoreportfilter dance (move the ignoreportfiler file one directory up into the main app folder) and tick the Use DirectMusic device to see if you have the option to pick a DirectMusic driver and tick the Use system Timestamp for DirectMusic Device box.

Some one or combo of these settings should hopefully do the trick for your setup.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby hardminder » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Try ticking the box to Use System Timestamp on Windows MIDI - and if that doesn't cure it, do the ignoreportfilter dance (move the ignoreportfiler file one directory up into the main app folder) and tick the Use DirectMusic device to see if you have the option to pick a DirectMusic driver and tick the Use system Timestamp for DirectMusic Device box.

Some one or combo of these settings should hopefully do the trick for your setup.

I tried all that, now I have latency; notes are played slightly after i hit the notes even in real time. I didn't have this problem before.

But now I feel like an idiot because I think I made this post the wrong way around. My problem is that the note I play align on early on the grid, not the opposite, like I was always rushing. I said the opposite in my original question. Do you have any idea what it could be. The midi is not delayed, it's...forwarded?

Maybe I sould delete this topic and start a new one :roll: :?:

Thanks
hardminder
Regular
Cubase 10 Pro

Postby soundproofed bob » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:25 pm

In Cubase, you have to set playback tracking to Mixer. That might slow down your PC though.
If you want zero latency, you need analogue equipment, sorry.
soundproofed bob
Poster