You are here

Delayed midi

Page 1 of 1

Delayed midi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:11 am
by hardminder
Hey guys!
So... I have a problem, no, I don't think it's a buffer size problem...

To make a long story short

I press rec, i play, i press stop, my midi file has dragged from where i played it.

So yeah, everything I play live, gets dragged in forward, like i was leaning in like crazy.

I'm using cubase 9, never encountered this in 10 years using cubase, and the same ''midi controller''a roland fantom s, 2005 synthesizer.

Do you guys have any ideas? that's pretty anoying.

Thanks in advance

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:36 am
by The Elf

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:57 am
by BJG145
...so the MIDI is late...? Is the delay in the recording of notes, or the playback of sounds? If you arranged a series of MIDI beats on the grid, then recorded notes on those beats, would they appear on the right place in the grid...?

If it's a playback issue, is it playing back on a hardware or software instrument...? Is it the same with different instruments...? Is it the same with different project files...? Have you checked delay compensation settings...?

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:21 pm
by n o i s e f l e ur
I'm on 10.5 but take a look in:

Preferences > Record > MIDI
" ASIO Latency Compensation Active by Default" and "Add Latency to MIDI-Thru Processing"

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:17 pm
by n o i s e f l e ur


Interesting article, but is the DirectMusic vs Windows MIDI information still valid?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... 76(v=vs.85)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:41 am
by hardminder
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:I'm on 10.5 but take a look in:

Preferences > Record > MIDI
" ASIO Latency Compensation Active by Default" and "Add Latency to MIDI-Thru Processing"

Thanks for the advice, i went to see those, they were unchecked, I checked them and now everything I record is played back slightly before where I played it, the opposite of my initial problem. BTW i'm pretty pocket, I'm a trained drummer. Thanks!

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:46 am
by hardminder
BJG145 wrote:...so the MIDI is late...? Is the delay in the recording of notes, or the playback of sounds? If you arranged a series of MIDI beats on the grid, then recorded notes on those beats, would they appear on the right place in the grid...?

If it's a playback issue, is it playing back on a hardware or software instrument...? Is it the same with different instruments...? Is it the same with different project files...? Have you checked delay compensation settings...?

It is not a playback issue. I play the notes, humanly tight, and then when the recording is over, they appear delayed on the chart. The midi notes are behind where I played them, simply. If I place midi events, they play normally. It's a recording issue. Also I don't have any delay if I just play live without recording.

Sorry for the late response I was out of this world busy this week, thanks for the help!

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:00 am
by n o i s e f l e ur
Try ticking the box to Use System Timestamp on Windows MIDI - and if that doesn't cure it, do the ignoreportfilter dance (move the ignoreportfiler file one directory up into the main app folder) and tick the Use DirectMusic device to see if you have the option to pick a DirectMusic driver and tick the Use system Timestamp for DirectMusic Device box.

Some one or combo of these settings should hopefully do the trick for your setup.

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 pm
by hardminder
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Try ticking the box to Use System Timestamp on Windows MIDI - and if that doesn't cure it, do the ignoreportfilter dance (move the ignoreportfiler file one directory up into the main app folder) and tick the Use DirectMusic device to see if you have the option to pick a DirectMusic driver and tick the Use system Timestamp for DirectMusic Device box.

Some one or combo of these settings should hopefully do the trick for your setup.


I tried all that, now I have latency; notes are played slightly after i hit the notes even in real time. I didn't have this problem before.

But now I feel like an idiot because I think I made this post the wrong way around. My problem is that the note I play align on early on the grid, not the opposite, like I was always rushing. I said the opposite in my original question. Do you have any idea what it could be. The midi is not delayed, it's...forwarded?

Maybe I sould delete this topic and start a new one :roll: :?:

Thanks

Re: Delayed midi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:25 pm
by soundproofed bob
In Cubase, you have to set playback tracking to Mixer. That might slow down your PC though.
If you want zero latency, you need analogue equipment, sorry.