You are here

Caught in an ilok hell, looking for a way out

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Caught in an ilok hell, looking for a way out

Postby rggillespie » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:09 am

I've not had any major problems before now downloading software, but any I have had have involved ilok. Once its got a hold of you, it wont seen to let go and merry hell ensues. I bought Reverberation 2 some time ago and then recently tried to update it to version 3 having bought that upgrade. I think if the download works first time then great but if it doesn't for whatever reason it seems to be tricky with ilok, requiring ever more labyrinthine solutions and pc expertise. After 17 frustrating days of re-downloading, uninstalling and trying every which way I finally abandoned the upgrade yesterday and liquid sonics kindly gave me a refund. They have been very helpful and I attach no blame to them.
I'm now trying to get back to version 2, is there a support forum that deals with ilok issues? They themselves say curtly speak to your software provider. I'd happily admit to being no pc expert and would be willingly to pay to get this issue sorted out. It feels wrong to buy something that have to pay to get it working. Why manufacturers use ilok is beyond me, I'll not be buying anything needing ilok again in this life time.
Any tips on ways to find a solution would be much appreciated!
rggillespie
Regular

Re: Caught in an ilok hell, looking for a way out

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:06 am

rggillespie wrote:I've not had any major problems before now downloading software, but any I have had have involved ilok.
You're not alone. I avoid anything that smells of iLok. Others seem to have no problem with it - I have trouble with it EVERY time it's involved.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby rggillespie » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:13 pm

hmmm yes I agree entirely The Elf, I wish I had done that now. The best software downloads seem to a have product portal these days (izotope, ezdrummer, arturia etc) and that works seamlessly for me. The ilok interface looks ancient and yet they seem to hold the power over whether your stuff you've bought legitimately and in good faith works or not. There doesn't seem to be a way to reset and start again, but I'll have to persevere as I have tracks that use the software I'm now locked out of. Good to know I'm not alone, I was thinking it was just me :roll: Still very frustrating.
rggillespie
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Sat May 01, 2021 4:05 pm

you would think they would send you the unlocked version rather than loose a sale?
uselessoldman
Regular