You are here

Recommended Pc Manufacturer

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Recommended Pc Manufacturer

Postby The Elf » Tue May 04, 2021 6:35 am

Scan have built my PCs for a long time now. I upgrade every few years to take advantage of newer technology. I've only had one significant problem, related to the USB cards; I was able to get the PC back to Scan, who took time to figure it out and replace the cards while I had a coffee - that's the kind of knowledge, skill and service that I am prepared to support with my money.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DarthPaul » Tue May 04, 2021 8:39 am

Scan are superb. Highly recommended!!!!
DarthPaul
Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Tue May 04, 2021 9:00 am

The last major and significant upgrade to any new computer build was from 2014 when new motherboards started to support DDR4 Ram memory modules. This made all the old motherboards obsolete, old tech. Since then little if anything has changed except AMD have over taken Intel with their continuous improvement to their Ryzen CPU chips. More recently we had PCIx4 but this is not really relevant for music production as its mainly used by the graphics subsystem. Hopefully next year AMD will get Thunderbolt added to all their chipsets/motherboards. IF and when, then I will upgrade my systems, until then I will stick with my FX8350 AMD3+ and DDR3., Vega64. 24Gb Ram.

I currently get 70+ fps at 4k Ultra on my game about 10% less than a new system that would cost me just over £550 per system to upgrade CPU RAM and motherboard. As it stands I would get back £200 from selling the system components I currently use meaning it would cost me £250 per system. I can wait since the only real advantage I gain is Thunderbolt, useful not essential since my firewire cards works perfectly fine.

Rumour has it we might see DDR5 fully implemented this year so I will actually miss out a full gen of systems, that will be the first time in over 35 yrs owning a computer that has ever happened. 286/386/486 Pentium 1/2/3/4 Socket 7 AMD3+ and a few Xeons along the way. I would then consider that a worthwhile upgrade, not before

I would continue to use the same GPU, M2 SSDs and HHDs power supply and case.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Tue May 04, 2021 9:10 am

I have to say this, respect to everyone for recommending Scan. Makes a change from the kids on the PC Gaming forums shouting about eBuyer and Overclockers neither of which I would trust as far as I could throw them. Sorry Richard...

Scan are honest and genuine, they treat everyone with respect. They never make a promise on something they cannot deliver.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Luke W » Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 am

Some recent praise for Scan from me as well. Following the recommendations of various people on here I've just added a 3XS system to my setup and couldn't fault the advice and service I got.

I've been a Mac user for quite some time now, and while I used to be happy enough building my own Windows machines I haven't done so since XP was new, so a lot has changed and I have little interest in learning again as I don't feel I'll do it enough to justify the time spent. The total cost of my machine from Scan was only marginally more than buying all of the parts myself, and if I factor in how long I'd spend putting it together and fumbling my way through setting up an unfamiliar OS (and probably needing help) it just didn't sound like a good deal for me.

I fired some emails back and forth with Pete at Scan, told him what I wanted to do and he helped spec up a suitable machine and advised on the best places to spend or save for my particular use. It arrived tested and configured exactly as I need, so within a couple of hours it was up and running with all of my software installed and running smoothly. For me, that was worth every penny of the amount I spent over the cost of the parts.

I get that some people are happy to build themselves, and if the cost difference was bigger I'd probably have considered it more seriously, but I don't regret my choice at all. I'd rather spend the time working/playing. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Folderol » Tue May 04, 2021 9:45 am

Luke W wrote:I get that some people are happy to build themselves, and if the cost difference was bigger I'd probably have considered it more seriously, but I don't regret my choice at all. I'd rather spend the time working/playing. :thumbup:

Exactly. There's never enough time to do everything yourself - even if you want to!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 am

I think unfortunately I'm the exception that proves the rule with Scan.
Not going to gripe but just in the interests of balance.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 am

Balance is always good but, if I recall correctly, your issue wasn't actually with Scan's computer build, but rather in difficulties getting Win10 to play nicely with a bunch of legacy controllers. And I thought Scan went to considerable lengths to try to help resolve your troubles... albeit with limited success?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 04, 2021 11:18 am

Sadly that was only one of the issues. Had quite a few others as well, hence I'm afraid I can't recommend.
But I appreciate my experience is unusual.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Tue May 04, 2021 11:33 am

Building a PC is a doddle, you cannot go wrong and installing windows is childs play, follow what the menu says fill in the info and your done. But I guess I can say that from experience and it is something I enjoy, when it works and continues to work.

No you cannot blame Scan your PC or Windows 10 for old legacy toys not working, thats down to the original manufacturer and not providing proper working drivers, like Yamaha and my 01x. grrrrrr

It makes complete common sense when buying a complete new system to get someone else to build it, especially if your not confident yourself. But then what about upgrades? I remember when PC World first opened and they charged £65 labour just to replace a Graphics Card, £150 to re-install windows and transfer your data. They even charged you £50 to look at it before then charge you to fix an issue even with their own computers claiming it wasn't covered by the Warranty as it covered the hardware only.

I have had more than a few friends and family take their computer to a shop to be told xyz was wrong with it and get a staggeringly large bill or quote. Yes diagnostic can take patience and time, sometimes its obvious and easy others it can take hours sometimes you can't fix a problem, rare but not unknown. Most common fault are drivers followed by bad memory, computer do go faulty, like everything else. Computers are no more reliable than they were 20 or 30 years ago, but they do not go out of date superseded expire as fast as they used to. A well spec'd computer today will or should last you 10 years, you might need to replace the odd part (component) along the way, but not a complete system. That said I guess you might have to reinstall windows a few times.

Just think what your DAW or plugins were like 10 yrs ago, how they have significantly improved yet the same system can still run the modern versions all perfectly fine. I actually deleted all the plugins I had dated prior to 2018, if it wasn't updated its gone.

I had shelves full of software boxes some were really old, like 30 yrs old. They have all gone to, just a single folder with all my licenses and that is saved on my computer not hard copy.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Tue May 04, 2021 11:37 am

poor blindrew, be thankful it wasn't a brand new £60k Merc that the dealers couldn't fix and it still run like shti. Then after 6k the engine blows up in pieces.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue May 04, 2021 12:14 pm

uselessoldman wrote:Building a PC is a doddle, you cannot go wrong
Oh yes you can!!! And I've seen it many times! :o

And some of the worst-performing audio PCs I've ever seen have been the result of "I know a bloke who builds gaming PCs..."
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue May 04, 2021 2:40 pm

I've gotta agree with the Elf...

IMPE those who are constantly having PC/Windows problems are those who think they know something about computers... they often do, but not nearly enough! They're the ones who tell me to 'do it myself' and who I won't let anywhere near any of the PCs and laptops in this house. Once bitten...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 04, 2021 3:11 pm

The OP sought a recommended PC supplier. Self-build wasn't mentioned as an option.

We currently have 10 posts independently suggesting Scan (with one negative post for balance). ;-)

I reckon that's job done! :D :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 04, 2021 4:38 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:We currently have 10 posts independently suggesting Scan (with one negative post for balance). ;-)
And to be fair, I suspect the actual ratio is far higher based on previous posts and threads. I think I just have been a bit unlucky.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext