You are here

PC won't boot

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PC won't boot

Postby merlyn » Mon May 10, 2021 12:44 pm

ef37a wrote:I now have to try to find my original Asus install disc?

You could do that. Or you could download the Realtek drivers on another machine then transfer them using a USB stick.
merlyn
Regular
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Postby ef37a » Mon May 10, 2021 12:48 pm

merlyn wrote:
ef37a wrote:I now have to try to find my original Asus install disc?

You could do that. Or you could download the Realtek drivers on another machine then transfer them using a USB stick.

I have tried! Seems they all want to give me a 'driver repair kit' I shall keep looking though.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby merlyn » Mon May 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Yes, the only time you would download the actual drivers rather than a repair is for another machine. If you've got an internet connection you've got network adapter drivers.

You might have more luck looking for 'driver installer' or 'offline driver installer' although if you need network drivers obviously that machine is offline. :)
merlyn
Regular
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Postby ef37a » Mon May 10, 2021 3:12 pm

Managed to get the drivers from Asus and that fixed the adapter.
Tried to activate W7, no joy. Just spent 1/2hr with Ms chat, ended with "no longer any support for W7". I paid a lot for two W7 genuine disc some years ago now useless it seems.

I am going to hope that the successful install of the OS has fixed the boot problem? Then try each of the old drives in turn.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 10, 2021 3:23 pm

ef37a wrote:I paid a lot for two W7 genuine disc some years ago now useless it seems.

Win 7 is no longer supported (since early 2020).

It's not useless -- Win7 still works as a computer platform -- but its security is increasingly questionable and you'll find new programs won't even load under Win7.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 10, 2021 3:34 pm

ef37a wrote:I paid a lot for two W7 genuine disc some years ago now useless it seems.

They gave you the chance to upgrade to Windows 10 for free - I can't see that you have any reason to complain if you didn't take them up on the offer (it is probably still available if you know where to look). If you want to connect to the Internet then you have to accept that you will need a maintained operating system and be prepared to upgrade as needed. If you don't want to connect to the Internet then you can do what you like.

That's what worries me a bit with the Internet Of Things - do I want to have to update every light switch in the house every few months to avoid them being hacked?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm

James Perrett wrote:That's what worries me a bit with the Internet Of Things - do I want to have to update every light switch in the house every few months to avoid them being hacked?

Good point. Seems like a solution seeking a problem to me...

AT our energy provider's insistence we now have a 'smart meter' -- although no one has yet explained to me how the claims that it will reduce the amount of electricity I use will be met. It's made no difference so far...

And the replacement gas boiler came with a Hive controller. But it doesn't do anything the previous controller/timer didn't do, other than save me having to get up from the sofa to change the temperature... assuming I remember to have my smart phone nearby!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 10, 2021 3:47 pm

James Perrett wrote:That's what worries me a bit with the Internet Of Things - do I want to have to update every light switch in the house every few months to avoid them being hacked?
Assuming that the manufacturer has even thought about adding this functionality and then keeps supporting the product for longer than six months.
Unfortunately security on the Internet of Things is largely an 'externalised' problem* so we can expect to see a lot more DDoS attacks and similar until there's some international legislation with teeth.

* The manufacturer doesn't care, because they're cheap products and it's an excuse to sell you a new one, the distributor/seller doesn't care because they have no liability, and most of the time the customer doesn't care either because their 'smart' fridge still works even as it's also being co-opted as a part of a bot-net. There's no market-driven fix.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Mon May 10, 2021 4:08 pm

James Perrett wrote:

They gave you the chance to upgrade to Windows 10 for free - I can't see that you have any reason to complain if you didn't take them up on the offer (it is probably still available if you know where to look). If you want to connect to the Internet then you have to accept that you will need a maintained operating system and be prepared to upgrade as needed. If you don't want to connect to the Internet then you can do what you like.

That's what worries me a bit with the Internet Of Things - do I want to have to update every light switch in the house every few months to avoid them being hacked?

Actually James, this desktop rarely goes on the net (on copper, don't plug it in) so, assuming it won't shut down on me I can live with it telling me I am a thief!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 10, 2021 10:35 pm

ef37a wrote:Actually James, this desktop rarely goes on the net (on copper, don't plug it in) so, assuming it won't shut down on me I can live with it telling me I am a thief!

Dave.

:thumbup:
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby uselessoldman » Tue May 11, 2021 1:39 pm

Installing Windows 7 can be a right pain, its driver support is limited especially for newer systems and as said some apps just do not like it. However some of us are forced to use it due to these driver issues, so I use HP Z600s that are from that era and work great whether it be WIndows 7/8 or 10.

AS for keyboard and mouse, I always use their dedicated ports, those on the far left on the back of any motherboard, these are USB2.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby ef37a » Wed May 12, 2021 8:35 am

uselessoldman wrote:Installing Windows 7 can be a right pain, its driver support is limited especially for newer systems and as said some apps just do not like it. However some of us are forced to use it due to these driver issues, so I use HP Z600s that are from that era and work great whether it be WIndows 7/8 or 10.

AS for keyboard and mouse, I always use their dedicated ports, those on the far left on the back of any motherboard, these are USB2.

I am using the front ports which might even be 1.1? Bit 'o' good news. I tried to install 7Zip from Ninite (because Winzip is a PITA) but it told me there was a problem and I needed W7 updates. Now, Msoft won't give me those but Ninite had a link and it worked!

Getting there.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous