You are here

New PC Build for recording

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New PC Build for recording

Postby uselessoldman » Wed May 19, 2021 9:55 pm

I hope at 57 any high pitched noise will be well over my hearing threshold, but yes noisefleur you are right someone much younger with significantly better hearing might be driven a little mad by any high pitches whine. Not to be confused by the whine of your partner when they find out you bought another expensive toy without their permission.

Neno that is an interesting question and it depends on the systems architect. For example older chips used single channel memory so it was advised to use 2 chips one per channel, now with dual channel memory that is no longer relevant. So for example lets take 16GB is onex16 twox8 or fourx4 sticks better? The system doesn't care it just sees 16Gb but if you have 4x4 there is no room for more so with one 16Gb there are still 3 sockets free for future expansion. So my advice would be twox16Gb leaving you 2 free should you ever want to upgrade later.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sun May 23, 2021 8:28 pm

Many thanks, Merlyn: "@Trevor Johnson The RAM you linked to is CL18. CL16 would be better. You do know the SSD you linked to is PCIe3?"

The RAM I linked to was the recommendation from Pete Kaine, from Scan, who had tested many RAM sticks when evaluating the then new Ryzen 3900 and 3950. That was back in late 2019.

Yes, my MB is PCIE4, but I couldn't find any PCIE4 NVME at a reasonable price. So I went for the Samsung, which had a 20% discount. Bear in mind, this was 18 months ago.

MB 'micro fans'. No problems: I have an Asus X299 Sabertooth, 10 years old now, working fine, and my hearing still goes just above 16KHz....My Asus X570 MB, the same....The best place, by far, to choose your fan parameters, is in BIOS.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby -nemo- » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:59 am

What do you think of the Gigabyte AORUS Ultra?
Some people told me that Gigabyte ar not as reliable as MSI or asus

I was looking at the MSI MEG X570Unify too
Both have 3 PCIe 4.0 for SSDs

Why do you think they use the Asrock x570 Taichi on scan.co.uk more than the 2 I listed below?

I already have:
Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz CAS16
Be Quiet Dark Rock 4
Noctua and Be Quiets case fans
Power supply
I'm going to get 5800X or 5900x if a good opportunity come around.

I just need to choose the motherboard but it's a pain, there are quite similar and i dont know if one of them suit my needs better than the others. The Gigabyte is cheaper right now
-nemo-

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:49 am

The Gigabyte AORUS Ultra is a very good board, it's one that Puget systems use for their X570 builds. Gigabyte are a very good company, I've used them previously.

I think the Asrock may have been one of the earlier X570s, perhaps that's why it's featured.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 am

-nemo- wrote:I'm going to get 5800X or 5900x if a good opportunity come around

Consider a 3900X, it is a very fine CPU and around the same cost as a 5800X, but a lot less expensive than a 5900X, with the same core count as the 3900X. The money you save could buy you a very nice SSD or more RAM.

Have you sourced a GPU yet?
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby maartenl945 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:57 am

I was in the same position as you a couple of months ago and went for an upgrade as well. The components I went for are on this list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/maartenl9 ... iew=gyvvjX

Regards,
Maarten
maartenl945
Poster
Check out my YouTube channel about home recording called Lanewood Studios.

Postby uselessoldman » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:32 pm

Since the title of the thread was recording and not composing or mixing, then I would say any system that has 8Gb and 2 cores 4 threads would be enough. Thus far I have fed 16 individual tracks into my Behringer x32 from my Focusrite Liquid 56 and ADA8200 via xlr and out via USB to my Surface Pro (running Studio One) and it has been flawless at 24/44kHz. I did go over the 16 with guitars and keyboards but it made no difference, this was from one computer to another one daw to another going through the x32

The Surface Pro is only recording/capturing the tracks, no effects etc... all those are done either at source or on the mixer. I should also add I am using a SP4 that has the i5 dual core and not the SP6 that is a full quad core CPU !!!!! I paid £240 and it came with the docking station, pen, keyboard and upgraded to the 256Gb Samsung 970 EVO SDD which I have further upgraded to 1Tb. I also added a 512Gb MicroSD card and when testing that it appears to also work.

Now when it comes to editing, composing that is something completely different since it depends on the software\vsts\Kontakt number of tracks etc you are using.

Of the 16 source tracks I used to test, 4x Superior Drummer, 1x EZ Bass, 6x Kontrol\Kontakt 3x Ample Sound 2x Vocals all run minimum 3 effects per individual channel and nothing is optimised that takes just shy of 16Gb and running 8 cores with ease when optimised it only uses 7Gb. Even when I double up the tracks to 32 using the full 16 outputs (two into one) the source computer only hits 22Gb and 12Gb optimised and the CPU is still well under 50%. The system is a FX8350 with 24Gb Ram, 1Tb NVMe with a ton load of storage. Firewire into the Forcusrite at 44Khz since that is the max the ADA8200 will go to when switched on and running with the Liquid 56 with all 16 XLR outputs going to the X32 over 2x 8 XLR snakes. Using the SD16 & SD8 makes no difference similarly when I plug in and add my guitars & 2x midi controller synths etc no difference.

When new this was a top of the range desktop consumer system (home computer) and not cheap, today I would expect to pay a small fortune, probably close to £2000 with all the various upgrades I have made since I bought it. But today I would get double the cores and 50% more system memory (Ram) for the same price. Unless I paid stupid money for a GPU, I use a VEGA64 that cost me £240 new it was £600 same as it sells for today on eBay - crazy times.

But then I would not buy a new computer at the moment, prices are crazy and there are a few nice features coming soon I am waiting for
uselessoldman
Regular

Previous