You are here

Focusrite Saffire pro 40: Managing Backing tracks from PC

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Focusrite Saffire pro 40: Managing Backing tracks from PC

Postby Jamesv » Sun May 23, 2021 4:56 pm

Hello forum dwellers

After a long break I'm trying to do dome music again. Very basic set up, with a Mic and stereo pair from a roland kit into my Saffire pro.

I'm very confused about something... if I'm playing an MP3 backing track, how do I allocate this to a channel on the Saffire so I can control it?

The 'source' is the PC itself (and by extension the firewire connected Saffire Pro soundcard), so its not an identifiable 'source'?

Any thoughts? I'm not using a DAW as yet, but have Cubase 5 to launch and use, if I need to manage it that way?

Thanks

James
Jamesv
New here

Re: Focusrite Saffire pro 40: Managing Backing tracks from PC

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 23, 2021 6:49 pm

If you want to add parts over the top of the backing track then probably the easiest way is to have your DAW play the backing track while you record new tracks in sync. Most DAWs should be able to import an Mp3 directly.

You need to use the Saffire software control panel to control the mix between the new parts and the backing track.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jamesv » Sun May 23, 2021 8:40 pm

James Perrett wrote:If you want to add parts over the top of the backing track then probably the easiest way is to have your DAW play the backing track while you record new tracks in sync. Most DAWs should be able to import an Mp3 directly.

You need to use the Saffire software control panel to control the mix between the new parts and the backing track.

Thanks - I actually dont want to use my setup with a DAW much at all; I want to use it for getting a stereo signal in from my Roland V-drums, which I'll then use within live rehearsals using Jamkazam.

if I'm using the Saffire in this way, where do I 'see' the 'native' PC sound (either MP3 / Wav backing tracks, music playing from spotify or youtube, etc?)

Is it better that all of my organic PC sound is routed into the Saffire through a formal output from the motherboard sound? via optical or something?

My PC is an HP EliteDesk, so I dont think it will have Optical out from the motherboard sound, but I thought my Saffire was working as the soundcard anyway?

Is my basic intended use of the Saffire making sense? I'm not planning on much DAW use for the time being, so my Saffire is way more than what I probably need to be using
Jamesv
New here

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 23, 2021 10:32 pm

You'll probably have to explore the Focusrite control software to see if there is a way of internally looping back an output to an input.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jamesv » Sun May 23, 2021 11:46 pm

James Perrett wrote:You'll probably have to explore the Focusrite control software to see if there is a way of internally looping back an output to an input.

There are quite comprehensive ways of doing that, but I don't know how to do it and the Focusrite resources don't help much. In particular, the question that remains is what is the input for the MP3 / spotify track that is playing back?- it is not a tangible 'input', it's music playing on the PC, not physically plugged in anywhere; so how do I assign it to a track?
Jamesv
New here

Postby blinddrew » Mon May 24, 2021 10:17 am

Not familiar with the Saffire software but the Scarlett MixControl has a Loopback option that you can then assign to an input. This is what I'd use in your situation.
It's the option above the line 3/4 input selection on this screenshot:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Jamesv » Mon May 24, 2021 12:38 pm

blinddrew wrote:Not familiar with the Saffire software but the Scarlett MixControl has a Loopback option that you can then assign to an input. This is what I'd use in your situation.

Thanks. Yes, the Saffire has that option. I am struggling to get the whole thing working due to not using a DAW at the moment.
Jamesv
New here

Postby merlyn » Mon May 24, 2021 1:42 pm

I haven't used JamKazam but I have used Jamulus.

Have you installed JamKazam? When you launch JamKazam it will be the only app that can use the soundcard so you'll do your backing tracks through that.

I think it might make more sense to you if you install JamKazam and see how you get on.
merlyn
Regular
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Postby Jamesv » Mon May 24, 2021 2:50 pm

merlyn wrote:I haven't used JamKazam but I have used Jamulus.

I think it might make more sense to you if you install JamKazam and see how you get on.

I've done that and I've not got on very well, hence asking questions in this forum
Jamesv
New here

Postby merlyn » Mon May 24, 2021 3:00 pm

OK. What app are you using to play backing tracks?

As far as I know JamKazam has backing tracks built in.

To get low latency you will be using ASIO drivers, so only JamKazam will have access to the Saffire. It sounds like you've got what you're calling 'native PC' audio running on a different soundcard -- the built-in soundcard on the motherboard. You could take a physical cable from the built-in soundcard line-out to an input on the Saffire.
merlyn
Regular
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.