You are here

Loopback or Blackhole Audio routing Software for Windows.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Loopback or Blackhole Audio routing Software for Windows.

Postby Baldo » Mon May 24, 2021 12:36 pm

I'm looking for an audio routing software for my Widows PC that is simililar to loopback or Blackhole on the Mac.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have used OBS studio for live streaming via Twitch iun the past. But now I want to use clubdeck.app to stream instead of Twitch.

I can do the streaming via my iphone and the iRig2 but somtimes the app cuts out and people cant hear anything. If I stream via Clubdeck.app I can then use the hard wired internet connection instead of rely on my wifi.

thanks in advance.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: Loopback or Blackhole Audio routing Software for Windows.

Postby merlyn » Mon May 24, 2021 1:31 pm

I haven't tried it myself but this may be the sort of thing you're looking for :

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/potato.htm
merlyn
Regular
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Postby Baldo » Mon May 24, 2021 4:19 pm

thanks Merlyn,

I have downloaded it but I'm not sure I know how to use it!!!!!

So here is the set up and what I want to achieve:

I have a Jriver media player that uses the ASIO 2 driver to send the output to the ESI JulI@ soundcard (channels 1&2 I assume) which goes into my mixer as a stereo input.

I have a mic connected to the mixer which also sends the mic as an input into channel 3 of the ESI Juli@ soundcard.

I have a third party software (Clubdeck.app). I want to send the output of both Jriver AND the mic down as the input into Clubdeck.app.

Make sense?

I can't set the input in club deck as the mic because then I will not get the music from the Jriver channel.
And I cant set the input as the Jriver or Jui@ becuase then I will not get the mic input.

Any ideas on how to solve the connections?

Thanks again.
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Postby merlyn » Mon May 24, 2021 5:19 pm

Yes, I think you can do that.

Use Potato as the main app. It will use an ASIO driver and take over the soundcard. Now you have mixer channels on Potato that can be either hardware or software i.e. inputs and outputs on your Juila or inputs and outputs from and to apps. I imagine you will have to select 'Potato' or similiar as the driver in the Jriver app or any other app. Do you see what I mean? Potato is talking to the soundcard and acts a bridge between the soundcard and multiple apps.

Unfortunately I haven't used Potato but I have used a similar setup on Linux which works and I imagine it is similar to Blackhole on a Mac.
merlyn
Regular

Postby Baldo » Tue May 25, 2021 6:53 pm

Thanks for that Merlyn. Really helful.

I have managed to figure some of it out.

I think that potatoe is exactly what I needed.
Baldo
Regular

Postby Baldo » Tue May 25, 2021 8:00 pm

Hey Merlyn,

Another question for you, maybe youknow the answer; I have files that are in different fomats and sample rates, but potatoe seems to be fixed at 44.1KhZ. The files I am trying toplay are 32bit 48Khz files and my music player says that potatoe cannot deal with this sample rate.

I tried to convert the files to flac but the sample rate remains at 48K. Is ther another format that I could convert the files to?

Alternativley, I would have to go back to the original Logic Pro files and bounce the files donw at a sample rate of 44.1K.

Thanks again for your help
Baldo
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 pm

I'm not sure what software you have, but there are plenty of programs that will convert the sample rate for you. I use Reaper's batch convertor if I need to convert lots of files but most audio editors will do something similar.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby merlyn » Wed May 26, 2021 11:15 am

Baldo wrote:The files I am trying toplay are 32bit 48Khz files and my music player says that potatoe cannot deal with this sample rate.

Potato uses re-sampling so I would expect a music player to just work. If you think about Potato as a 'server' then the various apps and hardware ports are 'clients'. All the clients can use a different sample rate and buffer size and Potato combines the inputs, re-playing everything at the sample rate and buffer size set in the ASIO control panel for your device. (Use ASIO if possible.)

The manual is here :

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/Voicem ... Manual.pdf

Is it 32 bit that Potato is having a problem with?

merlyn
Regular

Postby Baldo » Wed May 26, 2021 6:49 pm

Thanks for that James.

Merlyn, It is not really Potatoe that has the issue. It is my media player which is JRiver Media Centre. It does not play 48K files if I have the output set as a Potatoe ASIO Aux.

Odd indeed.
Baldo
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed May 26, 2021 10:33 pm

Foobar 2K with SRC loaded as a DSP plugin should do the trick.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby merlyn » Fri May 28, 2021 12:37 pm

I had a look at the Jriver Wiki and is there a setting in this page that would make Jriver work?

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Output_Format

Have you tried 'no change' ?
merlyn
Regular