You are here

More Waves Woes

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

More Waves Woes

Postby Temp » Thu May 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Hi Folks,

I finished setting up my audio PC a few weeks ago and am having issues with the Waves Abbey Road Mastering Chain plugin. I'm on the latest version of Waves Central on Windows 10, which is also up to date. My workstation is a dual hex-core Xeon with 48 Gig RAM and I've got multiprocessor checked in Cubase 10.5. I'm attempting to load the plugin on the master stereo out, and unless it's a completely empty project, Cubase crashes and I can go no further. On reload, I'm presented with a GenericMulticoreProcessor.dll error with a link to the log file. The ASIO driver usually goes AWOL after these crashes too.

As a workaround, I thought I'd install their free Studio Rack plugin and see if it loads there. However, it refuses to install from Waves Central, complaining that jBridge needs to be closed (it isn't open or running).

I'm trying to find somewhere on the Waves support site where I can send the log files to, but unless I'm mistaken, you need a (paid for) Waves Update Plan to get any kind of email support.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to try and resolve this? Although it's a decent plugin (when it works), I'm beginning to understand why Waves have a reputation for being a bit, erm, hit and miss.

Many thanks.
Temp
Regular

Re: More Waves Woes

Postby uselessoldman » Fri May 28, 2021 6:58 am

Tested it with Sapphire/X32/ASIO4all ASIO drivers AMD FX8350 CPU and it works fine in 10.5. I've not got 10.5 installed on my HP Z600 which also has Xeons (x5675s) so if you give me a day or two I will give it a try? It might be compatibility with the CPUs although I doubt it or the registered ECC Ram.

To be fair Waves plugins are usually pretty cool and stable, although I have to confess I fell our of love with Cubase moving over to Studio One. That said there are still things that Cubase can do that Studio One falls flat on its feet with, Surround being the main one grrr.

I assume you are running Windows 10 Pro and not Home although I doubt that should be an issue but all my systems are running Pro so I can't test Home
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Temp » Fri May 28, 2021 8:58 am

Thanks for the reply - that'd be great. My workstation is indeed a z600, with the same dual X5675 processors. I'm using an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R and the OS is W10 Pro. It's odd that it works on an empty project, and I can also confirm that it loads up fine within the Waves Studio Rack now (a reboot was required). I'm wondering if it could be a corrupt Cubase project file - I've had this happen before so I'll be investigating that also.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Fri May 28, 2021 6:38 pm

What sort of file is the link to the log file pointing at?

Is it a .dmp file?
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Temp » Sat May 29, 2021 9:48 am

Yes, they are .dmp files. I can open them in Visual Studio, which shows me a stack trace of sorts and a list of modules, but I'm not altogether sure what I'm looking at!

The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

After Googling this, it seems like a fairly generic error message.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby BobTheDog » Sat May 29, 2021 5:01 pm

The stack trace before that point is usually the important bit.

Can you cut and paste it here (the text stack trace)
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster